DXB PVG KUL YYZ MCO
ORD AMS MAD MUC TPE
HND JFK DEL BOM MEX
LHR SIN LAS FCO KMG
LAX CAN CLT LGW EWR
HKG CGK MIA SYD NRT
CDG DEN PHX SZX MNL
DFW BKK IAH BCN MSP

I don't think anyone can do all fifty of these airports by their codes. But I'll ask anyway.

16 United States
7 China

1 Brazil
1 Canada
1 Mexico

2 Germany
2 Spain
2 United Kingdom
1 France
1 Italy
1 The Netherlands
1 Turkey

2 India
2 Japan
1 Australia
1 Hong Kong
1 Indonesia
1 Malaysia
1 Philippines
1 Republic of Korea
1 Singapore
1 Taiwan
1 Thailand
1 United Arab Emirates
May 26th, 2016 at 11:17:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

ATL IST SFO SEA GRU
PEK FRA ICN CTU SHA
DXB PVG KUL YYZ MCO
ORD AMS MAD MUC TPE
HND JFK DEL BOM MEX
LHR SIN LAS FCO KMG
LAX CAN CLT LGW EWR
HKG CGK MIA SYD NRT
CDG DEN PHX SZX MNL
DFW BKK IAH BCN MSP

Let's see how many I can get. In order, top to bottom (either the airport name or the city it serves):

Atlanta, Beijing, Dubai, O'Hare, ????, Heathrow, LA(duh!), Hong Kong, Charles de Gaulle, Dallas/Forth Worth,
Istanbul, Frankfurt, pass, Schiphol, John F. Kennedy, Singapore (Changi?), pass (but maybe Cancun), pass, Denver, Bangkok,
San Francisco, pass, Kuala Lumpur, Barajas, Delhi (?), McCarran, pass, Miami, Phoenix, Houston Intercontinental,
SeaTac, pass, Toronto, Munich, Bombay, pass, Gatwick, Sydney, Zurich(?), pass,
Sao Paolo, Shanghai(?), Orlando, Taipei, Mex City, pass, Newark, Narita, pass, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 26th, 2016 at 1:24:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

ATL IST SFO SEA GRU
PEK FRA ICN CTU SHA
DXB PVG KUL YYZ MCO
ORD AMS MAD MUC TPE
HND JFK DEL BOM MEX
LHR SIN LAS FCO KMG
LAX CAN CLT LGW EWR
HKG CGK MIA SYD NRT
CDG DEN PHX SZX MNL
DFW BKK IAH BCN MSP

I better know these codes because I am in the business :-)
48 I immediately know
Only 2 looked unfamiliar
CGK, I guessed Jakarta and was right. I don't send many people to CGK but I book a ton into nearby SIN.
KMG I did not know. I looked it up. Must be an airport that doesn't service a city with many factories. I send a ton of people to a lot of cities in China. I have never ever booked this airport to the best of my memory.

Airports I book a ton that are not on the list
SLP IND YUL HAJ BJX WUH GDL MAN BHX MME ARN LYS VNO ADB PNQ BLR HYD MEL BNE
Interestingly I just started booking HAN and SGN recently quite a bit
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 26th, 2016 at 1:52:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Nareed did pretty good. Most people do poorly in Asia

ATL IST SFO SEA GRU
PEK FRA ICN CTU SHA
DXB PVG KUL YYZ MCO
ORD AMS MAD MUC TPE
HND JFK DEL BOM MEX
LHR SIN LAS FCO KMG
LAX CAN CLT LGW EWR
HKG CGK MIA SYD NRT
CDG DEN PHX SZX MNL
DFW BKK IAH BCN MSP

HND PVG ICN CTU KMG
CAN CLT FCO MNL
CGK SZX

You did pretty good on the top 10, but you skipped one where you didn't say "pass". I don't know if you didn't know it or you just missed it. Once again it is not have the initials of the major metropolis, but the local peninsula.

You missed one USA airport out of 16. It's an unusual USA airport since it is a very large airport next to a fairly small city which is not a tourist destination like Las Vegas.

You missed one European airport because it's code is based on the little city the airport is in, not the major metropolis.

BOM is still the airport code, but the city is now transliterated as Mumbai. I counted it as correct.
May 26th, 2016 at 1:57:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
KMG I did not know. I looked it up. Must be an airport that doesn't service a city with many factories. I send a ton of people to a lot of cities in China. I have never ever booked this airport to the best of my memory.

I never heard of KMG. It opened on June 28, 2012 and already has over 30 million passengers.
China Eastern Airlines flies to Paris-Charles de Gaulle, but that seems to be the only flight to an airport in Europe or the Americas.

I think that ground transportation is very poor in that portion of China. No trains and few buses. So you have a lot of domestic passengers on short routes.

Yunnan (Chinese: 云南) is a province of the People's Republic of China, located in the far southwest of the country. It spans approximately (152,000 sq mi) and has a population of 45.7 million (2009). The capital of the province is Kunming, formerly also known as Yunnan. The province borders Vietnam, Laos, and Burma.
Yunnan is situated in a mountainous area, with high elevations in the northwest and low elevations in the southeast. Most of the population lives in the eastern part of the province. In the west, the altitude can vary from the mountain peaks to river valleys as much as (9,800 ft). Yunnan is rich in natural resources and has the largest diversity of plant life in China. Of the approximately 30,000 species of higher plants in China, Yunnan has perhaps 17,000 or more. Yunnan's reserves of aluminium, lead, zinc and tin are the largest in China, and there are also major reserves of copper and nickel.
May 26th, 2016 at 2:17:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You did pretty good on the top 10, but you skipped one where you didn't say "pass". I don't know if you didn't know it or you just missed it. Once again it is not have the initials of the major metropolis, but the local peninsula.

Work keeps getting in the way of my postings. Also I have trouble with columns without division lines...

I'm sure one of those was Haneda, too.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 26th, 2016 at 3:47:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Work keeps getting in the way of my postings. Also I have trouble with columns without division lines...

I used to put them into tables, but I got lazy

HND PVG ICN CTU KMG
CAN CLT FCO MNL
CGK SZX

HND Haneda (Tokyo City airport) which is still busier than Narita
PVG Shanghai Pudong airpoirt, which augments SHA and only opened in last 20 years. I have no idea what VG stands for
CAN (Canton) airport which was the 19th century transliteration of the name of the city. Today it is Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport  
CGK is short Cengkareng, which is the district of Jakarta Indonesia containing the airport
ICN is Incheon, Korea the port city outside of Seoul
CLT is Charlotte, NC. For some reason after deregulation this airport grew to a much bigger size than would be suggested by the city size
Charlotte metropolitan area is wedged between Sacramento metropolitan area and Kansas City metropolitan area for rank #25
CTU is Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport which is now getting flights from San Francisco
FCO or Fiumicino – Leonardo da Vinci International Airport is Rome's airport
SZX Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport is just north of Hong Kong
KMG Kunming Wujiaba International Airport which no one has ever heard of. Near Burma, Laos and North Vietnam
MNL is Manila Airport

In 2006 MSP was larger than all but 9 foreign airports. Now it will probably drop off the list.
May 26th, 2016 at 4:01:34 PM permalink
terapined
47 of the airports I have booked a lot
Besides KMG which I have never booked
and CGK which I book just a little
FCO
I hardly ever book Rome. I book it less then CGK.
Very Very rare for me. If I do book it, its usually a Business/vacation trip which is rare
My guys and gals just want to get in and out with the minimum stay required to do their business.
If I have somebody going to Italy, its always MXP or LIN
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 26th, 2016 at 6:51:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Another list of the 30 busiest airports by international passengers.

DXB TPE ZRH
LHR LGW YYZ
HKG KUL DUB
CDG MAD CPH
AMS MUC PVG
SIN DOH AUH
FRA NRT BRU
ICN JFK VIE
BKK BCN MIA
IST FCO AYT

DOH AUH AYT
ZRH BRU VIE
DUB CPH

There are 8 new airports not on the previous list of 50 busiest airports overall. Can you guess these codes?

The USA is really falling behind on airport architecture

May 26th, 2016 at 7:03:46 PM permalink
terapined
I book 7 of those 8 a lot
AYT????
Did not recognize that one
I don't think I have ever booked that airport ever
Page 1 of 212>