Trivia You'll Try Hard to Forget

Page 2 of 4<1234>
June 4th, 2016 at 5:19:06 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
TB, Temperature and Dry Heat:

There are those tee shirts that show two reclining skeletons on chaise lounges by the side of a pool "Yes, but its a dry heat".

TB deaths are very high in Arizona... but it is because once you have TB you move to the desert. Although so many people moved to AZ from New York that they brought polen plants with them and the air now has pollen there.

Internal temps can be moderated by using cheap power at night to freeze a gallon jug of water.... and then a room fan to blow air over a copper coil that slowly evaporates the block of ice cooling and humidifying the room. Real cheap to rig up: its all over youtube.

You going to rent my your boat and land up in the Arctic Circle area and teach me how to ice fish if I get run out of Florida?
June 4th, 2016 at 5:50:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
You going to rent my your boat and land up in the Arctic Circle area and teach me how to ice fish if I get run out of Florida?
By the time you get a big enough hole cut in the ice to put the boat in, your usually to tired to fish.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 4th, 2016 at 5:51:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Only 108 at my house. Just spent 3 hours sitting in the sun reading with a quick dip in the pool every 30 minutes or so. I am one of the few that really don't mind this weather.

Vegas weather really didn't bother me until it went past 110.

The first time I went there in 1990, I remember marveling that I was comfortable walking on the Strip in 100 degree weather in a long sleeve shirt.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2016 at 8:40:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The Indian origin of the word Shenandoah is in dispute. The least likely of the possibilities is "daughter of the stars" as we were taught

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenandoah_Valley
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2016 at 1:36:39 PM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, without looking it up [the below is from the wikipedia page and easily found], pretend you are a detective. You are confronted with confounding facts pointing to a serial killer [and thief]. A female, very unusual, and she is very active. She is leaving her DNA all over the place. But no other evidence can be found as to her identity, she becomes called a phantom. After years being unsolved her case generates a special task force and a 300,000 Euro reward.

The DNA is found in the below instances. The case was finally solved. What is your guess as to what solved it? There have been some TV episodes, evidently, based on this that you might have seen.

Please use spoiler cover with any guesses. For the answer as to how solved, google the first sentence below.

on a cup after the killing of a 62-year-old woman on 25–26 May 1993 in Idar-Oberstein, Germany (the DNA was analysed in 2001)
on a kitchen drawer after the killing of a 61-year-old man on 21 March 2001 in Freiburg, Germany
on a syringe containing heroin in October 2001 in a wooded area near Gerolstein, Germany
on the leftovers of a cookie in a trailer that was forcefully opened on the night of 24 October 2001 in Budenheim, Germany
on a toy pistol after the 2004 robbery of Vietnamese gemstone traders in Arbois, France
on a projectile after a fight between two brothers on May 6, 2005 in Worms, Germany
on a stone used for smashing a window, after a burglary on 3 October 2006 in Saarbrücken, Germany (DNA was discovered and analysed only 2008)
after a March 2007 burglary at an optometrist’s store in Gallneukirchen, Upper Austria
after 20 burglaries and thefts of cars and motorbikes between 2003 and 2007 in Hesse, Baden-Württemberg and Saarland, Germany; Tyrol, Austria; and Upper Austria
on a car used to transport the bodies of three Georgians killed on 30 January 2008 in Heppenheim, Germany (the DNA was analysed on 10 March 2008)
after a burglary on the night of 22 March 2008 in a disused public swimming pool in Niederstetten, Germany
after four cases of home invasion in Quierschied (twice), Tholey and Riol, Germany in March and April 2008;
after an apartment break-in in Oberstenfeld-Gronau during the night of 9 April 2008
after the robbery of a woman on 9 May 2008 in a club house in Saarhölzbach
in the car of an auxiliary nurse who was found dead at the end of October 2008 near Weinsberg, Germany
June 24th, 2016 at 2:19:06 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
a link between the investigating officers or possibly the forensic analyzers at the lab?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 24th, 2016 at 4:20:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Oh we all know the answer. Major Crimes Unit did a fictional setting of it all over the five boroughs of NYCity.
June 24th, 2016 at 4:23:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
By the time you get a big enough hole cut in the ice to put the boat in, your usually to tired to fish.
you don't ice fish from a boat you ice fish from a heated tent if you can afford it or you brave the wind and cold if you are a pauper.
June 24th, 2016 at 7:44:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
There have been some TV episodes, evidently, based on this that you might have seen.

The trailer does not reveal the answer.
June 25th, 2016 at 2:54:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
We'll give Cesspit a "close enough" nod on that - and perhaps TV shows have covered it too much.

I thought it was especially interesting that there was a special unit and a big reward before they figured it out. And that the wrong-to-use swabs were "sterile" but not DNA-free.
Page 2 of 4<1234>