Trump's disdain for data & analytics

Page 7 of 9« First<456789>
June 9th, 2016 at 4:47:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
Anyone interested in betting that if Trump loses he initially, at least, contests the results? Perhaps it could be judged by whether he makes a concession speech within 24 hours of CNN declaring Clinton the winner?
I am interested. He loves America, and will do the gentlemanly thing and make the concession speech to unite the country if it is clear that he is defeated.

The betting odds suggest Trump has about a 30% chance of winning. Will you let me bet on Trump at +250 odds?
This seems like a fair line. I am willing, if the price is within the means of my meager bankroll.

Remember... I won the "Predict the 2012 election winners and losers and(sic) official WOV contest." by nailing the electoral college counts...
June 9th, 2016 at 5:02:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
What i don't know is exactly how bad the prosecution was in the Rodney King trial. The media were negligent in 1) overplaying the infamous video and 2) underplaying the actual trial while it was going on.

That was another case where the outcome was pretty much determined in the jury selection. Although the beating was in central LA, the trial was in Simi Valley, which is very white and conservative. It's also where the Reagan Library is, although it hadn't been built yet at the time (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the verdict in that trial was wrong too.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 9th, 2016 at 5:06:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
I am interested. He loves America, and will do the gentlemanly thing and make the concession speech to unite the country if it is clear that he is defeated.

How about this. Assuming Clinton wins, the bet will be whether Trump begins a concession speech within 24 hours of CNN declaring Clinton the winner.

I'm not feeling very confident on this so how about just $20, where I have the no concession speech side?

If Trump wins, there is no action.
June 9th, 2016 at 5:08:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Illegal aliens getting welfare, banking and other stuff is a mystery to me... pretty much everywhere else the whole point of immigration status is to let you have access to those things... and without them you are hooped. I have no idea what the rate of illegal employment is in Canada, but I bet it's nothing like that in the US. Of course, only having one land border helps.

I can't get a health check up or a bank account without a social insurance number. Other benefits require several forms of ID to get, and as a legal immigrant, I had to show them on a regular basis to function with any arm of the government.

The thing is too many people benefiting. Follow the money. Welfare gets spent, banks make fees. I assume if I was in Canada as a tourist that is worked out, but here it is a scam. Canada has the one land border but also the USA as a buffer plus less labor dependent ag. Tobacco fields up there, but I am guessing not much fruit and such.

Quote:
Legal immigration into the US a huge issue, too. There's a massive need for IT workers in the US, a skill shortage in US citizens, and a real problem getting immigration papers for qualified, skilled workers. Basically the system is upside down. Too easy to immigrate illegally for low paying work and heavy reliance on welfare systems, too hard to immigrate legally for high paying, net benefit work. In most EU countries, immigration is a net benefit to the economy. I believe the same is true in Canada. There's a reason for that... immigration that requires some level of commitment tends to result in the hard working, more entrepreneurial people applying, because they are now somewhere they want to be.

There is not near the skill shortage they pretend there is. Disney just fired locals to hire from overseas. In my industry more and more entry work done in India and Costa Rica. Those are basic jobs, order payoff letters, draw up docs. Basic. But what they were about was they were the break-in jobs. Where there is a skill shortage is a shortage of skilled people who will work cheap. Last year in my line I told a recruiter I would not work there for the offer as the offer was what I was making 8-10+ years before and besides inflation my skills warranted more. I told the guy I would rather deliver luggage at that rate. He actually listened!

I see Trump tapping into that. He is marketing to the frustrations of the working man. The working man may well be an IT guy or X-Ray tech. I do honestly feel the parties are shifting demos. GOP taking over the middle with Dems stratified top and bottom.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2016 at 5:12:34 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
How about this. Assuming Clinton wins, the bet will be whether Trump begins a concession speech within 24 hours of CNN declaring Clinton the winner.

I'm not feeling very confident on this so how about just $20, where I have the no concession speech side?

I can see Trump doing a concession speech in an electoral college landslide
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 9th, 2016 at 5:43:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba

You have a bet.
June 9th, 2016 at 6:42:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
You have a bet.

Okay. Can I count on you to remember it?
June 9th, 2016 at 9:27:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Okay. Can I count on you to remember it?
I will mark my calendar. Good luck to America, no matter the outcome. We will need it.
June 10th, 2016 at 7:56:52 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
The thing is too many people benefiting. Follow the money. Welfare gets spent, banks make fees. I assume if I was in Canada as a tourist that is worked out, but here it is a scam. Canada has the one land border but also the USA as a buffer plus less labor dependent ag. Tobacco fields up there, but I am guessing not much fruit and such.

There's some, but not that much. There are still seasonal workers, it just -appears- to me to be harder to stay here without work, and to get work without certain papers.

Quote:
There is not near the skill shortage they pretend there is. Disney just fired locals to hire from overseas. In my industry more and more entry work done in India and Costa Rica.

I only know in the IT sector there is a serious skills shortage in developers. I've heard the same in several engineering sectors.

Good by me, means more work here, as IT jobs are mostly transferable, and if it means more start ups and small growing IT companies here in BC, I'm all for it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 10th, 2016 at 8:43:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit

Good by me, means more work here, as IT jobs are mostly transferable, and if it means more start ups and small growing IT companies here in BC, I'm all for it.

The problem is the HB-1 Visa system is a complete joke in the USA. I knew a guy was on one. He was just an office worker at a college. Yes computer skills, but none that 50 Americans did not have and could do. His GF got him the gig. The abuse of the system is real. Same on the low end, poverty all over yet we can't fill jobs?
The President is a fink.
Page 7 of 9« First<456789>