Where does the soul reside?

Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »
June 10th, 2016 at 2:22:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
Interesting article.

The importance of the interconnectivity of a network got me thinking about how a recent study on LSD showed that the drug caused the brain to communicate across regions that it normally doesn't allow. Maybe that's where the "mind expansion" description has come from.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/04/13/exp-lsd-researcher.cnn

(it's weird how well that video link fits perfectly with what I wanted to describe.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2016 at 2:25:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
The importance of the interconnectivity of a network got me thinking about how a recent study on LSD showed that the drug caused the brain to communicate across regions that it normally doesn't allow.

Peyote does the same thing. That's
why they use it in religious ceremonies,
to learn about themselves. It's like
cheap psychotherapy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 10th, 2016 at 2:52:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
At the risk of changing the topic, the Wikipedia page on prenatal pain says, "However, medical experts,[5] have proven that human fetal pain begins as early as the second trimester,[6] of pregnancy.[7] In March 2010, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists submitted a report,[8] concluding that "Current research shows that the sensory structures are not developed or specialized enough to respond to pain in a fetus of less than 24 weeks", pg. 22.

Quote:
Seems to me, if you can feel pain you have a mind.
Can plants feel pain? http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 10th, 2016 at 2:56:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Seems to me, if you can feel pain you have a mind.

It seems to me you have a nervous system. Things like pain and reflex are taken care of in the "reptilian" or primitive parts of the brain and brain-stem. Not in the cortex, the structure most responsible for the mind.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 10th, 2016 at 3:44:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
I am trying to convince myself that pain, is nothing but a signal from my body to my brain. And therefore not a controlling force.

But it is a pretty tough sell.
June 10th, 2016 at 3:56:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
I am trying to convince myself that pain, is nothing but a signal from my body to my brain. And therefore not a controlling force.

I remember reading about a cancer patient referring to pain as "my old friend." The idea stuck with me, as it conferred pain as like an "entity" not part of, but a separate thing. It doesn't disappear, you just experience differently like a "thing" apart.

I've only tried to utilize that idea while walking out into freezing weather. "Cold my own friend" Maybe it's my imagination, or it's just some sort of Jedi mind trick, but it seemed to work. The cold was still there but felt like a separate entity which is just a different experience.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2016 at 4:06:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
I remember reading about a cancer patient referring to pain as "my old friend."
I won't say pain is my friend, but it is certainly my companion.
June 10th, 2016 at 4:15:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph

The signal is not pain, but information sent to the brain. What the brain does with the information is what you feel as pain. Anesthetics work by blocking or attenuating the signal. No signal, no information, no translation to pain.

There's a condition (CIPA?) which keeps people from feeling pain. While this sounds good, it causes a lot of problems. For instance, people with this condition don't feel cold and warmth, either. They don't develop an adverse reaction to touching hot things. So say such a person drops a spoon into a pot with boiling soup, they may simply reach for it and take it out, and they won't feel any pain. But they'll have third degree burns on their skin just the same.

Bottom line is they have to be on constant alert for things most of us take for granted, like ambient temperature, checking to see they haven't scratched any skin off while sleeping, or hurt their eyes by rubbing them too hard, etc.

Arthur C. Clarke, in his book "Profiles of the Future," describes pain as "the body's alarm system." That's rather close to exact. He then goes on to say disabling the alarm system temporarily would be very useful.

A related odd fact, the brain itself has no sensing neurons of its own. if you poke it, it feels no pain.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 10th, 2016 at 6:33:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
It seems to me you have a nervous system. Things like pain and reflex are taken care of in the "reptilian" or primitive parts of the brain and brain-stem. Not in the cortex, the structure most responsible for the mind.

Touche! I can't touch that response.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 10th, 2016 at 6:34:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I remember reading about a cancer patient referring to pain as "my old friend."

One of my favorite lines in all music is "Hello darkness my old friend. I've come to talk with you again." -- Sounds of Silence
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »