RIP Anton Yelchin (age 27)

Page 1 of 3123>
June 19th, 2016 at 8:02:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Anton Yelchin was born in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg), Russia, USSR, to a Jewish family.

An extraordinarily talented teenager, I first saw him when he was age 15, playing the teenage version of David Duchovny's character in House of D.

David Duchovny ... Tom Warshaw
Anton Yelchin ... Tommy Warshaw
Robin Williams ... Pappass
Téa Leoni ... Mrs. Warshaw
Erykah Badu ... Lady / Bernadette
Frank Langella ... Reverend Duncan

His biggest role was Chekov in the Star Trek reboot, Charlie Brewster in the Fright Night (2011) remakes.

Sadly he died today in a freak accident where he was crushed by his own car while alone in his own driveway. They did not say if any drugs were involved.
June 19th, 2016 at 8:17:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
New Star Trek next month, it's Heath Ledger all
over again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2016 at 9:22:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:
Anton Yelchin Death: Jeep Grand Cherokees Were Recalled for Rollaway Risk

http://gizmodo.com/anton-yelchin-death-jeep-cherokees-were-recalled-for-c-1782255236?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2016 at 9:38:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Did you read the comments? It was in neutral when
it hit him. He had it in neutral when he left the
car, it's his fault, not the shifters. He didn't exit
the car when it was in drive, which is what the
recall is about.

The affected vehicles, equipped with an eight-speed automatic transmission and a monostable gear selector, may not adequately warn the driver when driver’s door is opened and the vehicle is not in PARK, allowing them to exit the vehicle while the vehicle is still in gear.

His vehicle was not in gear.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2016 at 10:20:03 PM permalink
rxwine
They can't possibly be done with the investigation yet.

Rolling down a steep driveway could cause the shifter to end up in a different position on impact perhaps? Maybe he backed in? Maybe he has a circular drive at the top where the car does a full circle, so it all enters and leaves going forward? Maybe his dog jumped in and sent it downhill?

Who really knows yet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 20th, 2016 at 3:16:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Rolling down a steep driveway could cause the shifter to end up in a different position on impact perhaps? Maybe he backed in? Maybe he has a circular drive at the top where the car does a full circle, so it all enters and leaves going forward? Maybe his dog jumped in and sent it downhill?

This is why you should always, always, always set the parking brake when you park a car. It is how I was taught. Most of these things are driver error. Same as the Toyota unintended-acceleration scare of a few years back. I heard that one and soon as I did believed people were stepping on the wrong pedal. In the end that was what was happening.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2016 at 5:50:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
They can't possibly be done with the investigation yet.

A famous handsome young man with potential to earn possibly hundreds of millions of dollars. Who can resist a lawsuit?
June 20th, 2016 at 10:48:37 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
My guess is that he put the Jeep in "park" but it was actually only halfway in as he jumped out to check his mail. The shift lever slipped into reverse, and he was pinned when he saw the vehicle rolling, and thought he could stop it by pushing on the rear hatch. Sad. It will dampen the experience of seeing the new Star Trek movie when it opens in July.
June 20th, 2016 at 2:02:58 PM permalink
rxwine
I would hope to die quickly in such a case, if I'm not going to survive.

If a car ever falls on me, it won't be because I didn't take precautions. Another car might slam into it, knocking it off its blocks.
June 20th, 2016 at 2:23:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
This happened to an old lady my dad
used to know. She had a huge Cadillac
and could barely see over the wheel
to drive it. She put the car in neutral
and was so small she didn't see it was
moving backwards when she got out.
The door knocked her down and the
front wheel ran over her shoe. She
wasn't hurt, but we laughed about it
for years. When you saw her coming,
it looked like nobody was driving, she
looked through the wheel instead of
over it. How she never killed anybody
is amazing.
Page 1 of 3123>