RIP Anton Yelchin (age 27)

Page 3 of 3<123
August 20th, 2016 at 4:59:09 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I'm a big fan but Beyond had the wrong director and a lousy story. There's so much they could do with that fantastic cast if they could get a good story and less gratuitous action scenes taking up the whole movie. I wonder what the demographics of the Trekies are? Beyond seemed to target kids.
August 20th, 2016 at 11:05:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: pew
Beyond seemed to target kids.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a movie franchise got destroyed because executives saw dollar signs in licensing to children's products.

Batman was the biggest movie of 1989, whopping Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The second won was considered "too dark" and made much less money. The third one was more profitable, but still off from the initial movie. By the fourth movie they gave up and made a giant commercial for children's toys. George Clooney lamented "I killed the franchise". It took another 8 years until Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale resurrected the franchise.

1989 Batman $411.3 Michael Keaton | Jack Nicholson | Kim Basinger
1992 Batman Returns $266.8 Michael Keaton | Danny DeVito | Michelle Pfeiffer | Christopher Walken
1995 Batman Forever $336.5 Val Kilmer | Tommy Lee Jones | Jim Carrey | Nicole Kidman | Chris O'Donnell
1997 Batman and Robin $238.2 George Clooney | Arnold Schwarzenegger | Chris O'Donnell | Uma Thurman | Alicia Silverstone

Actually, the toy was better than the movie

So two decades later, the lesson needs to be learned again.
August 21st, 2016 at 5:00:55 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
By kids I meant around forty and under but your point is a good one. Never watched a Batman movie, wasn't a fan of D.C. comics. I was more of a Marvel kid (around fifteen and under).
July 24th, 2018 at 12:47:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-24/co-founder-femen-commits-suicide-paris

Putin takes in stride when Femen activist flashes him. Macho man for sure.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 24th, 2018 at 1:26:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-24/co-founder-femen-commits-suicide-paris

Putin doesn't allow but limited criticism inside Russia of his presidency and that is just the regular news media. And even that comes with dangers to anyone who does it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 24th, 2018 at 1:29:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I like his expression. Mine would have been even more goofy.

It looks like he is hesitating to give the pair a thumbs up.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 24th, 2018 at 1:38:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Wizard
I like his expression. Mine would have been even more goofy.

It looks like he is hesitating to give the pair a thumbs up.

That is a great picture.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 24th, 2018 at 5:57:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Putin doesn't allow but limited criticism inside Russia of his presidency and that is just the regular news media.
And our guy, has a stringer of women and saying, "in your face bit***s. All heads of state are doing scandalous things. It is the way of it.

Quote:
And even that comes with dangers to anyone who does it.
Any government body of significance has graves.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 24th, 2018 at 6:40:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
And our guy, has a stringer of women and saying, "in your face bit***s. All heads of state are doing scandalous things. It is the way of it.

Any government body of significance has graves.

I don't like Trump, but as far as I know he hasn't killed any reporters reporting the "fake" news, nor has he done anything but threatened some crackdowns on speech, which he has been criticized for.

When there is actual freedom of the press in Russia let me know, and then we'll see how Putin really measures up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 3<123