BREXIT followed by SWEXIT and DENEXIT

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
June 24th, 2016 at 8:42:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I think Sweden is a natural to follow Britain out of the EU. I don't know about Denmark which has pretty much hooked it's star to Germany.

The eurozone (European Monetary Union) consists of Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain.

The other EU members not part of the Monetary Union are Croatia (2017 earliest), Bulgaria & Czech Republic (2018 earliest), plus Hungary, Poland, and Romania (later than 2018).

Some other people think this decision could aggravate the independence movement in the constituent countries of Northern Ireland and Scotland.Northern Ireland, Scotland and London only areas not to vote for Brexit.

What do you think?

Bitcoin has been active the last few months
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg60ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv
June 24th, 2016 at 11:40:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think it is all going to fall apart and there will be no EU. This business of having sovereign debt yet common currency is nuts.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2016 at 12:14:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Open borders means they would be under
Sharia law in 10 more years. Better to act
now and take the consequences. The Muslims
are really stupid for attacking France and
other places in EU. If they had just been patient
and held off, there would be so many of them
in these countries in 10 years they could have
easily taken over.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2016 at 1:00:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Sweden evokes images of White skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, physical fitness and fiscal fitness. Those images are GROSSLY outdated. High crime and high unemployment abound and immigration has made Nordic sterotypes a radical minority. Its not for naught that Scandinavian Noir literature and films have focused on middle aged alcoholics, cops who are unrepentant criminals at heart, corrupt judges, corrupt industrialists, corrupt editors, and most of all, the "I word" (immigrants).
June 25th, 2016 at 4:30:26 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Open borders means they would be under
Sharia law in 10 more years. Better to act
now and take the consequences. The Muslims
are really stupid for attacking France and
other places in EU. If they had just been patient
and held off, there would be so many of them
in these countries in 10 years they could have
easily taken over.

What is this statement based on? What percentage of the EU population do you think is Muslim? How quickly do you think that percentage is increasing? 10 years to reach a majority? No. And then you are making the false assumption that all Muslims want to live under Sharia. Completely wrong.
June 25th, 2016 at 5:52:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Sweden evokes images of White skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, physical fitness and fiscal fitness.

The Swedish Vikings, called "Rus" are also believed to be the founding fathers of Kievan Rus. A thousand years ago the Arabic traveller "Ibn Fadlan" described these Vikings as following:
I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Itil. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blond and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free. Each man has an axe, a sword, and a knife, and keeps each by him at all times. The swords are broad and grooved, of Frankish sort.

Quote: Fleastiff
Those images are GROSSLY outdated. High crime and high unemployment abound and immigration has made Nordic sterotypes a radical minority. Its not for naught that Scandinavian Noir literature and films have focused on middle aged alcoholics, cops who are unrepentant criminals at heart, corrupt judges, corrupt industrialists, corrupt editors, and most of all, the "I word" (immigrants).

According to wikipedia, Swedes number roughtly ~7.6 million of the total population of 9.8 million in Sweden. Population is growing fast in the last decade as it took them 35 years to grow from 8 to 9 million, and now roughly 11 years to grow from 9 to 10 million.

I wonder if the wave of immigration is partly fueling the elimination of cash in Sweden. The official argument for printing the new notes and minting the new coins is that the current designs are about 30 years old and hence do not have the latest anti counterfeiting devices. Skeptics point out that a country of 10 million that does not heavily use cash is not a good candidate for counterfeiting anyway, and no significant counterfeiting rings have ever been discovered. While updating to new series of banknotes is common around the world, most countries increase the amount of cash in circulation with a new series of banknotes. Sweden is radically reducing the amount of replacement cash.
June 25th, 2016 at 5:55:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
What is this statement based on? What percentage of the EU population do you think is Muslim? How quickly do you think that percentage is increasing? 10 years to reach a majority? No. And then you are making the false assumption that all Muslims want to live under Sharia. Completely wrong.

You seem to be missing what is happening. 10 years may be short, but 20 is not. And they do want their own law in their own no-go zones. Every time this is proven the left goes nuts. It does not matter that "not all" want something since you can find 1 and "not all" is correct. But you get 15-20% of a population that wants Sharia any it is demonstrated that you get violence and unrest. Europe is quite probably waking up to all of this too late, but we can hope.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2016 at 5:57:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin

I wonder if the wave of immigration is partly fueling the elimination of cash in Sweden. The official argument for printing the new notes and minting the new coins is that the current designs are about 30 years old and hence do not have the latest anti counterfeiting devices. Skeptics point out that a country of 10 million that does not heavily use cash is not a good candidate for counterfeiting anyway, and no significant counterfeiting rings have ever been discovered. While updating to new series of banknotes is common around the world, most countries increase the amount of cash in circulation with a new series of banknotes. Sweden is radically reducing the amount of replacement cash.

I don't follow the reasoning. Are you saying get the immigrants used to not using paper currency? Wouldn't more people require more notes?
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2016 at 6:10:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't follow the reasoning. Are you saying get the immigrants used to not using paper currency?

Illegal labor is usually paid for in cash. Without cash you have to get bank accounts. In the last few years they banks have developed a smartphone app that makes it very easy to send a payment person to person directly from one bank account to another.

In commercials in the USA they mostly show people using their phone to pay businesses. In Sweden the person to person transfer of money is extremely popular.

But increasingly in Sweden you can't do many simple things like pay for gas or ride a bus with cash. It makes it nearly impossible to function without a bank account. One in nine American households is without a checking account.

Quote: AZDuffman
Wouldn't more people require more notes?

The number of cash banknotes circulated by a central bank, or the increase of cash in circulation seems to have almost nothing to do with population growth.
June 25th, 2016 at 7:44:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
Illegal labor is usually paid for in cash. Without cash you have to get bank accounts. In the last few years they banks have developed a smartphone app that makes it very easy to send a payment person to person directly from one bank account to another.

But increasingly in Sweden you can't do many simple things like pay for gas or ride a bus with cash. It makes it nearly impossible to function without a bank account. One in nine American households is without a checking account.

Ah, now I see where you were going with that. More of what I said in the other thread, there is a war on cash. It works well internationally, just shut a country out of the payments system. Why not try it with citizens? I buy the 1/9 number. Amazing the number of people who don't have banking. You do not get it until you work in one of those neighborhoods to some extent.

Quote:
The number of cash banknotes circulated by a central bank, or the increase of cash in circulation seems to have almost nothing to do with population growth.

Well, without an increase to meet population increases you have problems. 1840s USA had this issue with lack of coins I believe, then the 1849 gold rush solved that.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »