BREXIT followed by SWEXIT and DENEXIT

Page 3 of 5<12345>
June 26th, 2016 at 8:24:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
As David Lammy points out the alternative is simply to ignore the referendum as it does not actually obligate parliament to do anything.

Any thought on the record numbers of searches in Britain for "EU" in Google after the referendum?

I hesitate to draw much from it, as it confirms my bas that in referenda people vote their prejudices more than the issue at hand.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 26th, 2016 at 9:41:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
As opposed to any other election where people don't vote their prejudices?

Good point. but I mistrust drawing too much of an inference when my biases are confirmed.

In the case of the referendum, not everyone voted. Those who voted leave may not be searching Google for "EU" in large numbers. Those who voted remain might be. Who know what those who didn't vote are doing.

I would say, though, that a referendum on questions this important, and this one carries consequences for all British policies, ought to require a majority of the electorate, not merely a majority of votes. Naturally this would render all referenda ineffective.

Quote:
[..]but he was rejected with prejudice on the grounds that his skin color mattered more than that of his constituents.

Do you ever get the feeling that elected representatives at all levels only remember to represent their constituents when they absolutely have to?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 26th, 2016 at 10:20:56 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I think that the results just confirm what a bad system democracy actually is. It might well be the best of the existing operating systems of governing a country but that does not mean it is a good system. Most of the population is not informed or smart enough to make decisions that are good for long term prosperity and viability. Most people live in the short term and will always put themselves first (left or right wing). Even those who claim to be for helping others reserve the right to claim which "others" they are for and will quickly modify their position if it negatively effects them personally.

That is why we currently have the a very popular worldwide "nail the rich movement" right now. Everyone wants to help the downtrodden unless it costs them life style. The referendum result was an off shoot of these feeling. 'Immigrants are taking my job, globalization is taking my job let's go back in time 50 years and life will be good again'.

I am not even claiming that the UK should not have changed their working relationship with Europe but instant change without carefull thought about all the consequences and details that need to be looked at was not the right way to go.

Plato is likely right and we would be best governed by "Philospher Kings". Of course finding a qualified candidate is quite difficult. Too many people probably think they are qualified. Anybody who actually wants the job should probably be instantly rejected.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 26th, 2016 at 11:01:52 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Why? Unless they were an EU passport, which does not exist AFIK, it is still a British passport.

They are all EU branded and EU valid passports at the present time. I'm not saying it's not unsolvable. It's just another thing that will need to be done and dealt with. There's lots of little things that will need to be done.

Probably not as complex as Texas removing itself from the USA, but it's harder than just saying 'oh were are not part of EU'. The letter to the EU hasn't even been issued yet... that's a step that Cameron is refusing to take and leaving to his successor.

Other things to be done: European Health Cards will be revoked, EU driver's licence, revoked. Status of EU spouses and children to be sorted out. Status of EU workers currently living and resident in the UK (and vice versa in the EU states)... some of whom have been resident for over 20 years.

All things solvable... all will cost money, out of the "350 million/week" savings the exiters were trumpeting. That amounted to 2.5% of the UK's governments income from taxes. At least half of it came back in direct spending by the EU (of course, the determination of the spending IS an issue, that some people don't like to EU to decide on spending).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 26th, 2016 at 2:58:11 PM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Hey, update from Europe:

Hold your horses doomsayers. The world didn't collapse. Again.

At this point it is questionable whether UK will even leave EU. And no big deal either way (xcept for UK).

Still no Sharia law. Yes there are radical minorities. And yes they have social media. And sometimes bombs. But they are still a ridiculous minority compared to 500 million upstanding EU citizens.

Still no muslim invasion. We are converting Muslims faster than they can flee from their war-torn native countries:
"data from the General Social Survey in the United States show that 32 percent of those raised Muslim no longer embrace Islam in adulthood, and 18 percent hold no religious identification." - same thing in Europe

"data from MYASS show that 78 percent of those raised uneducated Redneck will still be uneducated and stupid in adulthood, and 64 percent hold bigoted and racist views" (I can't prove it, but I just know it is true.)
June 26th, 2016 at 4:11:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
They are all EU branded and EU valid passports at the present time. I'm not saying it's not unsolvable. It's just another thing that will need to be done and dealt with. There's lots of little things that will need to be done.

I have not seen one. Does it say the country and "EU" after, or are you saying a British one is indistinguishable from a German one?

Quote:
All things solvable... all will cost money, out of the "350 million/week" savings the exiters were trumpeting. That amounted to 2.5% of the UK's governments income from taxes. At least half of it came back in direct spending by the EU (of course, the determination of the spending IS an issue, that some people don't like to EU to decide on spending).

It will all work out. If we are lucky the other referendums by various countries to leave will pass and thus will pass the EU. Smaller bi-lateral deals will probably work better.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2016 at 5:44:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I have not seen one. Does it say the country and "EU" after, or are you saying a British one is indistinguishable from a German one?

The former. It's not the problem I thought at first, but it will still need to be dealt with.

Quote:
It will all work out. If we are lucky the other referendums by various countries to leave will pass and thus will pass the EU. Smaller bi-lateral deals will probably work better.

Yes, probably would be good news for the US for a large trading block to dissolve. But it's unlikely.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 26th, 2016 at 6:14:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit

Yes, probably would be good news for the US for a large trading block to dissolve. But it's unlikely.

USSR was going strong 10 years before it ceased to exist. In 25 years the USA went from defeating 2 enemies completely to being unable to finish off minor countries in a way. Never underestimate the unlikely, instead look at the forces happening.
The President is a fink.
June 27th, 2016 at 2:43:53 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
The truth is as they reach 10-15% of a population, real problems begin. The truth is no-go zones have formed in many places. They ghettoize. They do not need a majority. I have posted links on sexual assaults by hordes of young muslim men on local women as well as other violence. Dearborn, MI has more crime than 4 of 5 cities.

You can post all the feel-good surveys and studies you like and you are correct if you believe I will not read them. I see reality. I have met people that muslims tried to kill simply for not being muslim. Deniers always bring up the "not all muslims" meme. Well, most Europeans never even saw an Indian. Look how that worked out.

Stick your head in the sand at your own risk.

How about trying to stick on topic? How are you going working out how long it would take for the percentage to be high enough to have any realistic chance of changing constitutions so that sharia courts are legally realised? You are sensible to avoid answering that because it destroys your ridiculous scare campaign that there is an imminent threat of that happening.

Head in the sand? You're the guy who thinks gay marriage will lead to the zombie apocalypse right? Enough said. ;)
June 27th, 2016 at 3:10:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Aussie
How about trying to stick on topic? How are you going working out how long it would take for the percentage to be high enough to have any realistic chance of changing constitutions so that sharia courts are legally realised? You are sensible to avoid answering that because it destroys your ridiculous scare campaign that there is an imminent threat of that happening.

I am looking at how historically when the muslim population gets to 10-15% you have assimilation problems. Watch, one country will allow a "parallel system" for muslims. Others will follow. Already seeing places like France turn their heads at the no-go zones.

Quote:
Head in the sand? You're the guy who thinks gay marriage will lead to the zombie apocalypse right? Enough said. ;)

I still maintain gay marriage is a bad idea and will never support it. I never said the world would end the day after it happened. I am not going to repeat the whole argument. The country lost the gay marriage debate, we will just have to live with the results.

The Brits have clearly seen the EU taking them in bad directions and said "NO!" That is really scaring the globalists. The question now is how widespread it is. I do think at least one more country will now have a vote on if to leave. At the least it does not help Hillary nor hurt Trump. If we are really lucky maybe California has a vote on secession!
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 5<12345>