Trucks skipping weigh stations

June 28th, 2016 at 3:55:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Solved a mystery while traveling recently. For a year or two I had noticed some trucks skipping the weigh stations. This mystified me as I couldn't imagine the risk was worth taking if they were supposed to pull in and were just blowing it off. I hadn't seen anything to explain it, till:

We were heading toward Memphis from KY and at the weigh station approaches we saw signs that said something like "prepass rigs follow instructions in cab." Just remembered to look it up, and turns out it is a transponder arrangement. It appears to be based the belief that certain outfits are trustworthy, rather than pre-inspection . Or it may be a 'less frequent weighing' arrangement at random, that doesnt seem to be clear. Sorry if everybody already knew this.

http://prepass.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrePass
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 28th, 2016 at 6:30:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The trucks are no longer required to actually enter the scales and if they do enter often can keep rolling rather than stop.

If they were weighed and found to be empty they get a signal to just go on by. Or weighed and found legal... go on by, neither weight nor duty hours having significantly changed. Some firms don't have electronic logbooks indicating driver's rest breaks, some do.
June 28th, 2016 at 11:00:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Been going on for a long time, especially
with the big haulers that own thousands
of trucks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2016 at 3:02:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Saw the "obey in-cab signals" a few times on trips. Didn't completely know what it was for. But it makes sense. Enhance inspections at the terminals for the big guys, they are less likely to cheat anyways.
The President is a fink.