Woody Allen (age 80) and Emma Stone (age 27)

Page 1 of 212>
June 28th, 2016 at 9:19:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Emma Stone is the latest in a line of young actresses that has done multiple films for Woody Allen.

After a run of four giant movies (worldwide box office in millions)
$216.6 The Help BV 2011
$757.9 The Amazing Spider-Man Sony 2012
$587.2 The Croods Fox 2013
$709.0 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony 2014

Emma Stone seems to be concentrating on her artistic output.

$142.9 Crazy, Stupid, Love. WB 2011
$105.2 Gangster Squad WB 2013
$103.2 Birdman FoxS 2014
$51.0 Magic in the Moonlight SPC 2014 - Woody Allen
$27.4 Irrational Man SPC 2015 - Woody Allen
$26.3 Aloha Sony 2015
$--.- La La Land LG/S 12/2/16
$--.- Battle of the Sexes FoxS 2017

I'm not sure why Woody Allen feels he has to make these films without any comic moments. I am not talking about the basically serious films with a lot of comedy, but the films where there is not one smile. I think the first one he did was released on August 1978 (Interiors). They just seem creepy to me.
June 28th, 2016 at 11:26:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
They just seem creepy to me.

I recently saw Birdman and it was very creepy
and depressing. I wish I could un see it. And
it wasn't an Allen movie. How it won so many
awards is a mystery to me.

It had tons of reviews like this one:

For me, a complete and total waste of money and time. My friend fell asleep about 20 minutes into this self-indulgent piece of tripe.
This movie strains so hard to make itself 'important' and 'groundbreaking' that it never stops to see that it has been done before by Masters such as Woody Allen, Hitchcock and any late night black/white '40s movie.
The 'plot' is as old as the hills. Man is successful but inwardly unrewarded. He has also rejected his family in search of California movie gold. So, he wants to redeem himself and try his hand at serious theater. Throw in a disturbed and rehabbed daughter, a long-suffering but understanding wife, and a producer pulling his hair out because the 'play' isn't a success and you've got all you need to know.
The rest is a montage of suspected hallucinations, maybe suicides "who knows?" and you're left feeling empty, cheated and angry because you know somebody's trying to be nouveau and special but simply missed it completely by being too insider and artsy about the whole thing.
Do not waste your time. If you want to see what theater and Broadway are all about and need a laugh, watch The Producers with Zero Mostel instead. If you want deep, head scratching drama that goes nowhere, go ahead, pay up and watch this nonsense.
And, I might add, Michael Keaton, to me, was trying too hard, had few acting chops and it was embarrassing to watch him in this. He, like the character he played, was trying way too hard.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2016 at 12:26:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
I recently saw Birdman and it was very creepy
and depressing.

I guess I wouldn't miss it if I hadn't already seen it, but I didn't find it unwatchable.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2016 at 12:41:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
When Woody Allen (then age 42) was having an onscreen affair in Manhattan with Mariel Hemmingway (then age 17) critics in 1979 pursed their lips a little, but nobody criticized too much.

Of course the next year he began his relationship with Mia Farrow, and we all know how that turned out.

Paring Colin Firth (age 55) and Emma Stone (age 27) isn't quite as big of a stretch, but you get this wierd feeling that Woody is still living out his fantasies. At least Colin remains handsome and sophisticated.

Joaquin Phoenix (age 41) and Emma Stone shouldn't even raise eyebrows over the age difference, but it felt creepy nonetheless. At one point Joaquin is unstimulated by firing a gun once in Russian roulette, so he fire it three times instead giving him 50/50 odds. The attraction that brings to a young woman is hard to imagine.

Cary Grant was age 47 when he fell in love onscreen with his pregnant student Jeanne Crain (age 25) in 1951 in "People will talk" director and writer Joseph L. Mankiewicz's response to Senator McCarthy's witch hunting days.
June 28th, 2016 at 1:12:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Russian Roulette.... depends if the gun was fired three times in succession or spun each time.

If half the chambers are loaded in a 6-shot revolver (X X X 0 0 0) and you don't spin, there's only a 1 in 6 chance you survive three pulls in a row. Any other pattern, and three pulls is a guaranteed kill.

If it's a single shot (X 0 0 0 0 0), and you spin each time, the chance of survival is 5/6 * 5/6 * 5/6 = 125/216 = 57%.

Note, with -two- pulls on a half loaded revolver, you are better to -not- spin in between. If you survive the first shot, it's 66% likely you picked chamber 4 or 5 first, so the next pull of the trigger is less likely to kill you then randomly spinning and trying again.

This has nothing to do with Emma Stone. I like Emma Stone, but I am tired of the large age gaps between the female and male lead in films.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 28th, 2016 at 1:28:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
but you get this wierd feeling that Woody is still living out his fantasies.

Hitchcock probably was too, what with all his female blonde leading stars, putting them on pedestals, eventually getting rid of them somewhat unpleasantly at times. (love, control, rejection maybe from real life experiences)

(However while trying to find a Hitchcock interview I came across this- unrelated.)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2016 at 1:29:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
If it's a single shot (X 0 0 0 0 0), and you spin each time, the chance of survival is 5/6 * 5/6 * 5/6 = 125/216 = 57%.

What are your chances of survival if you often play things like Russian roulette? ;)

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Emma Stone. I like Emma Stone, but I am tired of the large age gaps between the female and male lead in films.

I hate to bring up the S word too often, but this is a clear-cut case. Female romantic leads peak in their early 30s. It's almost like we have Barney Stinson in charge of typecasting.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 28th, 2016 at 1:35:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Russian Roulette.... depends if the gun was fired three times in succession or spun each time.

One bullet, three rapid shots in a row.

William Powell was (age 61) when he was stalked and almost married Lauren Bacall (age 29) in 1953 "How to Marry a Millionaire". Her real life husband, Humphrey Bogart, was 24 years older.

Marilyn Monroe (age 27) married David Wayne (age 39) in the same film.

Nearly every major movie star, except Tom Hanks, has to have a torrid relationship with an actress much younger.

Aubrey Plaza (age 32) played Robert DeNiro's (age 72)sex interest in Dirty Grandpa
June 28th, 2016 at 4:23:12 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
One bullet, three rapid shots in a row.

Okay, that is 50% :) I should not have doubted it :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 28th, 2016 at 5:33:11 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Okay, that is 50% :) I should not have doubted it :)

But if you are forcing someone to play Russian Roulette, you don't hand him the revolver. Not even with just one cartridge in it. It's just no-good-son-of-a-bitch 101. Actually, you don't have to go to school. No real human being could ever be so stupid.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 1 of 212>