Woody Allen (age 80) and Emma Stone (age 27)

Page 2 of 2<12
June 28th, 2016 at 5:35:41 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
Nearly every major movie star, except Tom Hanks, has to have a torrid relationship with an actress much younger.

I read in Michael Douglas' biography that Gwyneth Paltrow was outright disgusted to play his wife in A Perfect Murder. She felt it was too unbelievable that someone his age (born 1944) would have a wife her age (born 1972), or that she would WANT to be with an old guy like him. Felt the audience wouldn't buy a 28-year difference, and she kept her distance throughout the filming, which came across evidently on the screen.
June 28th, 2016 at 7:34:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: zippyboy
I read in Michael Douglas' biography that Gwyneth Paltrow was outright disgusted to play his wife in A Perfect Murder. She felt it was too unbelievable that someone his age (born 1944) would have a wife her age (born 1972), or that she would WANT to be with an old guy like him.

And yet his real wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones, was born 25 September 1969, while Gwyneth Paltrow was born September 27, 1972

Bruce Paltrow was born November 26, 1943 less than a year older than Michael Douglas (born September 25, 1944) . They were close friends so Gwyneth grew up with her uncle Michael.

Perhaps the break off of her real life engagement to Brad Pitt the year before, then being asked to play the wife of a family friend was too much for her acting ability.

Shakespeare in Love was an Academy Award power house with 13 nominations and 7 wins. Although Best Actress nominations are frequently drawn from small boxoffice movies, Gwyneth Paltrow was running against actresses that had appeared in very small movies. I think she was swept up in the hoopla, and got an acting award above her skill.

Gwyneth Paltrow – Shakespeare in Love as Viola De Lesseps $100m (#18)
Cate Blanchett – Elizabeth as Queen Elizabeth I of England $30m (#65)
Meryl Streep – One True Thing as Kate Gulden $23m (#78)
Fernanda Montenegro – Central Station as Isadora "Dora" Teixeira $5.6m (#154)
Emily Watson – Hilary and Jackie as Jacqueline du Pré $4.9m (#158)
June 28th, 2016 at 9:00:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't quite know what this thread is about.

Old men and young women? Whats that joke about "to be shot in bed at age 96 by the irate father of a sixteen year old girl".

Difference between Mariel Hemmingway and Mia Farrow: class, intelligence, character.

Age limitations on actresses roles: always been that way. Star roles diminish, extra roles diminish.

Sing Along With Mitch TV Show .... 55 -60 year old men and 22 year old women. Feminists point this show out as 'wrong' but the audience and the advertisers sure never saw anything wrong with it. Middle aged men want teen age girls. Mia Farrow got her hooks into Andre Previn, but listen to Previn's wife's musical warning/fashion show particularly at that same LA fashion marketer that did the you tube's viral First Kiss.

Why do you think there are so many "Dutch Uncles" supporting young college students rather than actual uncles doing it?
June 28th, 2016 at 10:01:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Mia Farrow got her hooks into Andre Previn,

She got them into Sinatra first. He was 30+
years her senior when they got married.
She drove him nuts with her hippy dippy
spiritual crap and he finally got rid of her.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2016 at 10:18:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
She drove him nuts with her hippy dippy spiritual crap and he finally got rid of her.
Probably cost him a bundle. Weird pets and weird kids I heard too.
June 29th, 2016 at 6:36:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Shakespeare in Love was an Academy Award power house with 13 nominations and 7 wins.

It was also very funny in parts. I don't think anyone can hear "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter" and not laugh :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 30th, 2016 at 12:36:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Remember when Woody Allen wanted to cast Winona Ryder and Robert Downey Jr but each was uninsurable and without insurance the completion bonding companies were unwilling to shoulder the financial risk on their own? Allen obviously lacked the courage to face down the entire industry and go it alone.
June 30th, 2016 at 4:43:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
It was also very funny in parts. I don't think anyone can hear "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter" and not laugh :)

The movie script is brilliant and literally stuffed full of dozens of historical references, each carefully researched.

Even the young boy with the mice, John Webster, age 13 would grow up to write two brooding English tragedies (1)The White Devil, and (2) The Duchess of Malfi, written when he was in his 30's. He is depicted as being fascinated with spying and the macabre at his young age.

While G.P. was excellent in the movie, I don't think she will ever be nominated for an acting role again in her life. She had the combination of being part of a great project, while her competition for the Best Actress Oscar was in relatively obscure movies that most people didn't see.

Imelda Staunton, as the nurse, was another small part that was incredibly acted. Staunton would eventually get an Oscar nomination in 2004 for Vera Drake (another very small movie).
Page 2 of 2<12