So when the work was done...

Page 1 of 212>
December 26th, 2012 at 5:39:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Last week, from Dec 17 til the 21st, we were very busy at the office. I'll spare you the details, but the earliest we left work that week was 10 pm on Tuesday. On Thursday I left at 4 am (of Friday, really). Some three or fourth coworkers satyed until 11 am Friday.

Well, we thought we were done, and we were given Monday the 24th off. Nice. And then we'd have a short week this week, right? Well, eys, but I ahd to come in on monday for a few hours, and so did the boss, and someone else, and two others.... Well. Then today, Wednesday, we only had to finish one huge task that was abou 8/10 finished anyway. So the boss comes up with an urgent half-huge task that has to be done NOW.

I really need to find another job.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 27th, 2012 at 10:33:12 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Nareed
Last week, from Dec 17 til the 21st, we were very busy at the office. I'll spare you the details, but the earliest we left work that week was 10 pm on Tuesday. On Thursday I left at 4 am (of Friday, really). Some three or fourth coworkers satyed until 11 am Friday.

Well, we thought we were done, and we were given Monday the 24th off. Nice. And then we'd have a short week this week, right? Well, eys, but I ahd to come in on monday for a few hours, and so did the boss, and someone else, and two others.... Well. Then today, Wednesday, we only had to finish one huge task that was abou 8/10 finished anyway. So the boss comes up with an urgent half-huge task that has to be done NOW.

I really need to find another job.

What does your job entail? You talk about it a lot and I'm curious...whatever details you would like to reveal, of course.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
December 27th, 2012 at 12:24:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: AcesAndEights
What does your job entail? You talk about it a lot and I'm curious...whatever details you would like to reveal, of course.

Short version: gathering waste paper and making products look prety.

Long version: well, that's too long. But I'll quote an attorney who specializes in representing companies that sell to the various levels fo the Mexican government: "Governments buy papers, not goods or services."

I can go into a lot of detail, if you'd like to know more. But odds are you'll wind up bored out of your skull.
December 27th, 2012 at 3:09:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
"Governments buy papers, not goods or services."
So stop selling to the Government and you can start providing actual goods and services rather than reams of specifications and photographs about hamburgers.
December 27th, 2012 at 3:19:16 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Short version: gathering waste paper and making products look prety.

Long version: well, that's too long. But I'll quote an attorney who specializes in representing companies that sell to the various levels fo the Mexican government: "Governments buy papers, not goods or services."

I can go into a lot of detail, if you'd like to know more. But odds are you'll wind up bored out of your skull.

It seems like you are being intentionally vague. I still have no idea what you do. I would love to hear more, unless of course you are being vague on purpose.
December 27th, 2012 at 3:33:59 PM permalink
Nareed
It seems like you are being intentionally vague. I still have no idea what you do. I would love to hear more, unless of course you are being vague on purpose.

No, really, 90% of the work is collecting waste paper. About 7% is determining the price of various goods. and 3% is presenting samples of meats, dairy and dry goods; which had better look pretty or else!

We sell food, mostly, to government agencies. it's the dullest, most mind-numbing, unproductive work worth tons and tons of money. We also provide food preparation services, also to government agencies. That's even worse.

To do this we put together a "propposal" which consists of things like microbiological analyses of what lies under the fingernails of our personnel (seriously), papers proving we own delivery trucks (including color phtos of the trucks, really), acreditations of the labs, analyses of foodstuffs, papers from the labor department, social security payments, tax payments, papers written by notaries, reams of old contracts, affidavits, declarations, declarations under oath, and almost as an after-thought a list of products with brand names (where applicable) and prices.

If you come to WoVCon ]I[, or are in Vegas when I'll be there next year, I can show you pictures. One shows 12 or 13 binders holding all the papers for one (1) propposal.
December 27th, 2012 at 3:58:15 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
No, really, 90% of the work is collecting waste paper. About 7% is determining the price of various goods. and 3% is presenting samples of meats, dairy and dry goods; which had better look pretty or else!

We sell food, mostly, to government agencies. it's the dullest, most mind-numbing, unproductive work worth tons and tons of money. We also provide food preparation services, also to government agencies. That's even worse.

To do this we put together a "propposal" which consists of things like microbiological analyses of what lies under the fingernails of our personnel (seriously), papers proving we own delivery trucks (including color phtos of the trucks, really), acreditations of the labs, analyses of foodstuffs, papers from the labor department, social security payments, tax payments, papers written by notaries, reams of old contracts, affidavits, declarations, declarations under oath, and almost as an after-thought a list of products with brand names (where applicable) and prices.

If you come to WoVCon ]I[, or are in Vegas when I'll be there next year, I can show you pictures. One shows 12 or 13 binders holding all the papers for one (1) propposal.

Wow, okay then. I can't say I really understand it any more now, but I understand why it's hard to explain.
December 27th, 2012 at 7:54:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Wow, okay then. I can't say I really understand it any more now, but I understand why it's hard to explain.

It's not hard, just boring, tedious and dull.

Short version:

1) government agency, department, whatever publishes a request for proposals for food.
2) along the invitation it publishes rules and requirements. The "rules" are what wastepaper they want. The requirements are the actual goods they'll buy
3) The rules often include stuff like:

A document drawn by a notary stating the company is constituted to carry out X business
A document drawn by a notary stating the company's representative can commit her company to X deal
The rep's ID
Lab analyses to "prove" the good health of the employees who will be processing and handling the food (these include scrapings under the fingernails, stool samples, sputum samples and other things)
Credentials to prove the lab is certified by a certain government agency
Lab analyses of some or all of the products offered to "prove" their quality
Lab analyses of the delivery trucks, to "prove" they are kept clean
Lab analyses of the processing plant (if any), warehouses, refrigerated chambers (if any), loading area and trucks, to prove they all meet some government norm (these include analyses of work surfaces, water and tools
A letter from the slaughterhouses where pork, chicken and beef are purchased, attesting they meet a certain government standard, that they back your offer, and they guarantee the supply for the duration signed by the supplier's representative with a copy of his legal document drawn by a notary stating the company's representative can commit her company to X deal, and copy of his ID. Same for dairy products and cold meats, only from the plants that produce these things

Bored yet? I've still have to go through "proving" the ownership or lease of enough supply trucks, refrigerated boxes on same, contracts to "prove" experience, letters of "satisfaction" from past customers, samples, photos of the processing plant, warehouses, etc, photos of the uniforms worn by the staff at the processing plant, warehouses, etc, a bunch of letters and affidavits promising to do this, that and the other thing, invoices from pest control companies or certificates of application of pest control measures, government certificates of the company's scales, proof of payment of taxes and/or social security "contributions," certificates of employee training issued by the labor department, diplomas of the labor department certified instructor....

And a few other things.

Lost among all that is whatever list of products they actually want to be supplied with for the year (or whatever period).
December 27th, 2012 at 8:28:41 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
That is nuts. I have never heard of such a gigantic process for something like that. Is this something unique to Mexico, or have I just had the pleasure of never hearing about in the states for my whole life?
December 27th, 2012 at 8:45:59 PM permalink
Nareed
That is nuts. I have never heard of such a gigantic process for something like that.

Oh, you should learn about "locks"!

Quote:
Is this something unique to Mexico,

I hope so. I mean, I'd hate to think so much more of the world was this screwed up (and people wonder why government winds up overpaying for things...) But I'm afraid government procurement is screwed-up to some degree everywhere.
Page 1 of 212>