Not in a suburban office park!

June 30th, 2016 at 4:07:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Some live for it, some hate it, some think the people are a little crazy. But no matter how you slice it, this is without a doubt the most interesting week to work in downtown Pittsburgh.

Anthrocon is the proper name, but most people call it the Furry Convention.

These are grown men and women. Some put four and even five figures into these costumes. One I heard as high as $27,000 last year. Some are weird, they will eat out of dog dishes and defecate in large litter boxes or even their backyard. That is crazy stuff, but for today and tomorrow my breaks and lunches are not boring!

What was there today were early-birds. I cannot describe how long the check-in line was by 5:00. All day they arrived. Early in the day there were news crews there from various places. This crowd gets coverage, and this is the biggest convention they have.

Word is the ones with just a tail are "available" and wear the tail as a signal, like the women wearing their shirts some certain way in prison. I don't think I'll ask.

Right outside the hotel door. They all stuck close today, tomorrow I expect more fanning out.

My favorite of the day! Un-PC Rebel Fury!

Even Furies gotta line up to buy food.....

Generally they love being photographed! Few talk so I don't talk back, all hand signals. My personal opinion is they are people who are painfully shy without the costumes but with who knows.

More coverage tomorrow if you all want some.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2016 at 4:43:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Generally they love being photographed! Few talk so I don't talk back, all hand signals. My personal opinion is they are people who are painfully shy without the costumes but with who knows.

Where do they stick those tails?

June 30th, 2016 at 5:10:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
July in PA in full costume. Who could
turn that down.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2016 at 11:48:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
More coverage tomorrow if you all want some.
That would be good.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 1st, 2016 at 12:50:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Well, if your neighbor or office worker is taking a week off out of town this week--well, you never know.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 1st, 2016 at 4:27:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
DAY 2

I thought it would be wilder today, it was and it wasn't. A business or two had specials geared to the Furies:

I saw no media today. I also thru it all did not see one instance of the people eating from dog dishes. A guy in the office said he did years ago and that some do is pretty well documented. But I saw none. Either the convention has more mainstreamed, they were told to knock the nonsense off, I just missed it. or a combo of all of that.

Saw more wit just the tails, and one I saw erases most doubt I may have had about the tail being some kind of jailhouse-like signal. Not saying why in public, just saying it left little doubt. And there was no way I was taking a pic of it.

Some of the better ones:

If you don't remember the 1980s ask someone!

It is in a way more fun catching them than getting the pose. They love the photos, but I like playing photo-journalist. Last time I got to do that was the G-20, but let me say it is kind of a rush, reporting on the goings-on like this.

This is blocks away, near the other large 4-Star Hotel in town. Maybe 5-star, but I say 4. Anyhow, many other hotels in downtown, but this one is blocks away, they are all over. BTW: this convention books the town up, same aforementioned guy who saw them eating from dog bowls had reason to look for a room a few years back during it. BOOKED SOLID for 20+ miles out!

I have a few more, maybe later.
The President is a fink.