The "problem" of evil

July 9th, 2016 at 5:21:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
So you are saying its morality is based on its effectiveness? Do you really think it is okay to "give it a try"?

No, I told him to figure it out himself (but not because I think it works. the opposite)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2016 at 5:25:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Ridiculous morality is something like "original sin".

If anything, crap like that gets in the way of formulating real moral judgements.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2016 at 5:26:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
No, I told him to figure it out himself (but not because I think it works. the opposite)

So why would you encourage anyone to "give it a try" when we are talking about something so heinous as eugenics? I think pew was pointing out to you that according to just plain logic and common sense one might be convinced that eugenics and such was a good thing, but we can all agree that it is not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 9th, 2016 at 5:31:43 PM permalink
rxwine
So why would you encourage anyone to "give it a try" when we are talking about something so heinous as eugenics? I think pew was pointing out to you that according to just plain logic and common sense one might be convinced that eugenics and such was a good thing, but we can all agree that it is not.

I'm asking him to give a more thorough justification of why he thinks it's a moral system and would fit within that framework.
July 9th, 2016 at 5:32:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The real barbarians are the ones who think morality can change depending of circumstances, who is in power, who is popular, or what someone might think is best for them. Gladly most people recognize their God-given goodness and follow their conscience.

The main moral edicts are set in stone. But
others change with society. It was extremely
immoral of a woman to: Show her ankle in
public. To enter a saloon. To smoke in public.
For an unmarried woman to speak to men in
public. For a woman to be anything but
submissive. For a woman to wear makeup of
any kind. For a woman to be anything but
religious. For a woman to wear pants in public.

These and many other things were at one time
very immoral in America and any of them could
get a woman ostracized from the community.
Morality has changed because most of it is a
moving target. Not a single one of those things
is true anymore, nor should they be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2016 at 5:48:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
that according to just plain logic and common sense one might be convinced that eugenics and such was a good thing, but we can all agree that it is not.

We will have it one day, and the human
race will be better off for it. We need more
geniuses and much fewer mouth breathing
idiots who contribute nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2016 at 5:56:42 PM permalink
rxwine
We may very well get a designer eugenics society, (while not killing the dwarfs and cripples that make it through) That's a different society than purging one.
July 9th, 2016 at 6:11:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Morality has changed because most of it is a
moving target. Not a single one of those things
is true anymore, nor should they be.

You are very confused about how we are using morality here. It is immoral to be immodest, how that is interpreted is different. However, the concept that one cannot be immodest has never changed. It is also immoral to treat women as inferior and that has always been true, now society realizes that better than it has before.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 9th, 2016 at 6:14:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
We will have it one day, and the human
race will be better off for it. We need more
geniuses and much fewer mouth breathing
idiots who contribute nothing.

Ok, this is just scary. Are you suggesting we kill off people you don't consider smart, I am in big trouble then as are others who believe in God. Is there better ways than killing people or selective breeding to make the human race better off???
July 9th, 2016 at 6:18:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The real barbarians are the ones who think morality can change depending of circumstances, who is in power, who is popular, or what someone might think is best for them.

I don't think Francis I would appreciate having one of his subjects call his kingdom "barbarian."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER