1 vote (9.09%)
5 votes (45.45%)
3 votes (27.27%)

11 members have voted

July 13th, 2016 at 1:30:41 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
I never meant to imply that I don't know what a conservatory is. Seriously, when do you ever hear the word except when preceded by Bellagio?

All the time in the UK... or in association with the word 'Music' :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 14th, 2016 at 9:08:31 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
It looks like Miplet is going to have to dust off his Clue program. Mrs. White has been killed off (white lives don't matter) and replaced with the Asian Dr. Orchid. This story made the CBS Evening News today. Here is some more information: Meet the New Character in the Classic Board Game Clue.

I hope to be the first to play Dr. Orchid in game 12, or wherever we left it. Seriously, I'd like another game.

The question for the poll is what do you think of this change?

I'm up for game 12. I wonder how many times I'll need to edit?
s/White/Orchid/g
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
July 15th, 2016 at 5:06:18 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
I never meant to imply that I don't know what a conservatory is. Seriously, when do you ever hear the word except when preceded by Bellagio?
Point taken. Yeah, you're right...
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 18th, 2016 at 9:55:09 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It looks like Miplet is going to have to dust off his Clue program. Mrs. White has been killed off (white lives don't matter) and replaced with the Asian Dr. Orchid. This story made the CBS Evening News today. Here is some more information: Meet the New Character in the Classic Board Game Clue.

I hope to be the first to play Dr. Orchid in game 12, or wherever we left it. Seriously, I'd like another game.

The question for the poll is what do you think of this change?

This is sort of the opposite of political correctness. Replacing a white murderer with an asian murderer? It's not like the American mass media has a ton of asian heroes to tear down:

Imagine if the new Clue character was a Latino or a Black. The world would implode.
January 9th, 2018 at 4:45:20 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11

Old thread, I know. Blame miplet for sending me here...

In the UK, conservatories are installed to the back of very many homes, as a predominantly glass extra living room to overlook the garden. Don't you guys over the pond have conservatories? Or do you just call them something else?
http://www.everest.co.uk/conservatories/classic/
January 9th, 2018 at 5:16:28 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Just seeing this. Really, how silly was THIS change? White is a color, or really, in pigment, the absence of all color. In Light, it is the product of all colors. I'd rather they added a 7th character than replaced one.

I guess the best face (yes, a pun) I could put on it is that perhaps they want to market an English-born game to Chinese people, so they put in a character they would favor.

Anybody wonder if they avoided making it Green to avoid the character going 4th?

And yes, we use the word Conservatory interchangh Greenhouse, if the frame work is iron or Victorian in the upper midwest, or if it's more than a simple backyard greenhouse, since the weather is so bad for so long. My brother's first marriage took place in one. He's on #4, fwiw. 2 was formal in a house, 3 was beachside informal, 3.5 got cancelled, 4 Idk. Just a little idle family trivia.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 9th, 2018 at 6:55:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: OnceDear
Old thread, I know. Blame miplet for sending me here...

In the UK, conservatories are installed to the back of very many homes, as a predominantly glass extra living room to overlook the garden. Don't you guys over the pond have conservatories? Or do you just call them something else?
http://www.everest.co.uk/conservatories/classic/

The only room called a conservatory I have ever seen is the one at the Bellagio.

However, I have seen rooms like you describe but not often. My uncle had one at his home in Seattle. Here, across the pond, we tend to put our emphasis on the front yard, to impress the neighbors. The back yard can vary a lot but it is seen more as functional space to barbecue, play area for the kids, or place for the dog to poop.

My aunt in Germany has a lovely vegetable/herb garden in her backyard. That is something you very rarely see here.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 9th, 2018 at 7:08:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Minnesota.Conservatory
Exterior picture is copyright protected, so can't publish it, but here's the link

Weddings. Very awkward on the pathways for guests, but whatever. A bride wants what a bride wants.

Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 9th, 2018 at 8:51:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I would have referred to that room as a greenhouse.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2018 at 12:33:13 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
I would have referred to that room as a greenhouse.

If you looked at the exterior shot, that room is just the left side of the building, with 2/3 of it cut off. There is an elaborate entrance at 90° angles to it, and a large central room between them, sort of a cross between an atrium and a pagoda. They use that for concerts and receptions, though it also has many plants in pots. Another long greenhouse on the side you can't see All glass spine work.

To me, if the wedding room was a stand-alone, that would be a greenhouse. It's the combination of rooms, and the particular architecture and building materials, that makes it a conservatory. But I've never tried to parse my understanding of it before, so I could be mis-defining what makes it that and not something else.

This is an overhead shot.

We've been going there since I was a little kid. It was called Como Park Zoo then, now St. Paul Zoo. When we were there for the wedding, all those back tacked-on greenhouses were a parking lot and other stuff. 32 years ago...time flies.
Page 2 of 3<123>