cheaper airfare when you add a hotel

Page 2 of 2<12
July 18th, 2016 at 7:08:49 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
This is just an example of the mysteries of airfare pricing. I doubt anyone knows how it works. Wait till you get into hidden city ticketing where you buy A-B-C and abandon the final leg because it's cheaper than A-B on its own. There's a few sky scanner type search engines that will find them for you.
July 19th, 2016 at 5:30:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Aussie
There's a few sky scanner type search engines that will find them for you.

https://skiplagged.com/

Quote: CNN Money
A Chicago judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by United Airlines against a 22-year-old.
United Airlines (UAL) and Orbitz (OWW) had filed a civil lawsuit in November against Aktarer Zaman, a young computer whiz from New York City, who launched a website called Skiplagged.com to help people buy cheap plane tickets.
Chicago Judge John Robert Blakey of the Northern District Court of Illinois said the court didn't have jurisdiction over the case because Zaman didn't live or do business in that city.
The dismissal "is definitely a victory," Zaman told CNNMoney. "It is pretty amazing...the court just shut them off."
Related: Why is United Airlines suing a 22-year-old?
Zaman's Skiplagged.com uses a little-known secret among frequent fliers to help people find cheaper plane tickets.
The basic idea behind Skiplagged is that it takes advantage of something called "hidden city" fares, where it might be cheaper to book a flight with a connection, and then never actually take the second leg of the trip.
January 17th, 2020 at 2:14:28 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Earlier this week, I purchased a roundtrip ticket to Europe.

Initially, I used Google Flights to find a good price: $393. The itinerary was outbound on British Airways, (BA) return flight on American Airlines (AA).

On BA's website the ticket was $679. On AA's website, it was $693. But Google Flights instructed me to buy the ticket directly from Iberia Airlines, because the flights code-shared with Iberia. Sure enough on Iberia's website, I found the ticket for $393. But after entering my name & details, Iberia's website instructed me to call them and purchase it over the phone.

Armed with all this information, I went to Expedia and did a search filtered only for Iberia flights. Nothing. Then I filtered it only for British Airways flights. Nothing. Ditto on Priceline. Finally, on Travelocity, the $393 price popped up when I filtered for BA. (This is ridiculous because Expedia and Travelocity are the same company using the same software.) Accordingly, I bought the ticket from Travelocity before it disappeared. $108 for the roundtrip ticket + $285 in taxes.

Long story short, it's odd that BA and AA wouldn't sell it to me for $393. I saved $300 buy NOT buying the ticket directly from BA and AA.
January 18th, 2020 at 4:45:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
But Google Flights instructed me to buy the ticket directly from Iberia Airlines, because the flights code-shared with Iberia.

International Consolidated Airlines Group, S.A., often shortened to IAG, is an Anglo-Spanish multinational airline holding company with its registered office in Madrid, Spain and its operational headquarters in London, UK. It was formed in January 2011 after a merger agreement between British Airways and Iberia, the flag carriers of the UK and Spain, respectively.

IAG has just purchased another Spanish Airline (Air Europa), so be on the lookout for similar offers.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/iag-to-buy-air-europa-for-111-billion-in-cash-2019-11-04

The structure of the main operating company:
United Kingdom
--- British Airways
--- BA CityFlyer
Spain
---- Iberia
---- Level
---- Vueling
---- Air Europe
Republic of Ireland
--- Aer Lingus
France