GOP Convention

July 20th, 2016 at 11:31:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
it'd actually move the gun debate forward if the Democrats could work with some elements of the NRA. Maybe the 'R' part, perhaps.

The problem in the gun debate is not who's talking to whom, but rather what they're saying. On one hand, there are people advocating for gun rights, running on a full spectrum between no restrictions at all (you should be able to own a tank or a nuke if you can pay for one) to reasonable restrictions (background checks, forbidding felons and mentally ill people from owning guns at all, etc.). And on the other there are people who want to restrict private gun ownership, who also exist in a spectrum from banning all guns, to banning most guns, to strengthening existing restrictions.

Both sides are as truthful and dishonest when it suits them as most people involved in political discussions tend to be.

This kind of debate is completely unproductive. There's no doubt that guns can be useful in self-defense, or in defense of a third party. There's also no doubt such defense is limited in various ways. And there's no doubt at all guns are used in great numbers for nefarious purposes, from robberies, to rape to murder and mass shootings.

IMO, the question that should be debated is the one I tried to raise here a short time ago: what can we do to reduce the incidence of gun-related deaths and injuries? Unfortunately when that question is raised, you get the typical answers from both sides. Side A says ban all guns, while side B says remove all restrictions on gun ownership. And we're right back where we started.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 20th, 2016 at 1:06:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The stop Trump protesters are very upset
because almost nobody from the stop
Trump 'movement' showed up at the
convention. Not a single arrest yet, just
spitting contests between Code Pink and
KKK members. It's almost like the stop
Trumpers never existed, isn't it.

For months the media has been saying
protesters were going to burn Cleveland
down this week, topping the convention
riots of 1968. There was a march yesterday
that had 24 protesters, over 40 people
from the press, and at least 50 cops. It
was pathetic.

There never was a 'movement', it was the
invention of the media to try and start
one. The Left bought their own hype and
are soooo disappointed nobody cared.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2016 at 1:17:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob

More likely they don't think it's necessary. Because Trump's campaign is a bridge to nowhere.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2016 at 1:41:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
More likely they don't think it's necessary. Because Trump's campaign is a bridge to nowhere.

Now, now. Even an abyss is somewhere.

A bottomless pit, though, I'm not so sure.

Sometimes you look back on events and wonder "What were they thinking?" Things like nominating Michael Dukakis in 88, Mondale's promise to raise taxes in 84(*), McCain picking Palin for VP, Aaron Burr killing his career in a duel, etc.

I've no doubt by mid-November we can add "nominating the Silly Season favorite to run for president" to the list.

(*) Two things:

1) I know Mondale said something like "Mr. Reagan will raise taxes. And so will I." Meaning a tax raise would be strictly necessary in the 85-88 presidential term. But it was an ill-considered move, and it was remembered as "Mondale promises to raise taxes."

2) There was an SNL sketch of a fake show called "What were you thinking?" (these days they'd surely call it "WTF where you thinking?") and it had a segment with Mondale being asked this question in regards to his "promise to raise taxes." It wasn't that funny, but the idea was terrific.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 20th, 2016 at 1:43:47 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Actually, you seem to be the one who keeps bringing up the topic.

"The Left" doesn't really seem to care.

Maybe you should get out of the FOX News bubble and you wouldn't be so surprised all the time when what they tell you is going to happen doesn't actually end up happening...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 20th, 2016 at 1:57:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Hmm, Looks like the tent isn't big enough for LGBT

Any LGBT is welcome. Do they have other issues they care about?

Will the Democrats drop their pro-abortion stance to be big tent for pro lifers? I highly doubt it.
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2016 at 2:05:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Actually, you seem to be the one who keeps bringing up the topic.

"The Left" doesn't really seem to care.

Maybe you should get out of the FOX News bubble and you wouldn't be so surprised all the time when what they tell you is going to happen doesn't actually end up happening...

I totally agree
I have been to Trump Rallys
The key to keeping the peace is a large police presence
That's what we had in Tampa
It was actually comical. The guardian angels were there all geared up and ready to rumble protecting Trump supporters.
They were left with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs. You could tell they were so disappointed the Tampa Police were well in control
Of course there wont be violence in Cleveland.
Do you actually think the Cleveland police will let the guardian angels do their job. Tampa police made sure they stayed out of the action
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 20th, 2016 at 2:09:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

Of course there wont be violence in Cleveland.

Hindsight is 20/20. Where were you
saying this when all the cable networks
have been predicting the bloodiest
convention since 1968? Riots in the
streets, massive arrests. I don't remember
you saying a word about no violence
when all we heard for months was the
convention bloodbath would be Trump's
undoing and fall.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2016 at 2:10:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman

Will the Democrats drop their pro-abortion stance to be big tent for pro lifers? I highly doubt it.

Pro-life is actually one choice less than the pro-choice stance since you can choose either with pro-choice.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2016 at 2:19:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Hindsight is 20/20. Where were you
saying this when all the cable networks
have been predicting the bloodiest
convention since 1968? Riots in the
streets, massive arrests. I don't remember
you saying a word about no violence
when all we heard for months was the
convention bloodbath would be Trump's
undoing and fall.

I never said there would be violence
All my predictions (which was wrong) was regarding a fractured convention.
Bloodiest convention since 68? lol. Its not 1968, not even close. I probably didn't comment because it was such a dumb prediction
I've been to 2 Trump Rallys, very peaceful protests.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"