Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

What a gift to not just influence the religious, but non religious like me

You must be easily swayed, he doesn't
influence me at all, except in his total
non understanding of Gays. That makes
him homophobic in my book.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2016 at 5:44:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
You must be easily swayed, he doesn't
influence me at all.

I never said he influenced you
The point I was making is the rock star crowds he attracts where ever he goes shows he is very influential
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 30th, 2016 at 6:12:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined
I never said he influenced you
The point I was making is the rock star crowds he attracts where ever he goes shows he is very influential

Name one pope in history who didn't get
capacity crowds wherever he went, you
act like this pope is the first one to do
that. They could vote Daffy Duck pope
and he would get record crowds.

This is John Paul and one of his crowds.
Go back and you'll find this for every
pope.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2016 at 8:57:28 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I am back from Poland now and what an amazing pilgrimage! It was the best World Youth Day I have ever been to (it is my fourth). In response to some of the lists of large gatherings I think I should explain a little more what World Youth Day is. It is a gathering of young people from around the world started by Saint Pope John Paul II. The unique nature of this gathering is what makes it impossible for any other institution on earth to accomplish. It is only young people and it is international in its diversity. I think there were only 12 countries on earth not represented at this WYD. It culminates in a large outdoor Mass with the Pope and this one day gathering almost always shatters the record for the largest gathering in the host country for a day event. By some estimates there were over 2 million people in Krakow for that final Mass. The Mass in Manila was one of the largest one day events in human history. What other institution or government could gather so many young people for such an event? You should watch the overnight vigil we experienced with Pope Francis on Saturday, it was amazing and his message was awesome!

Anyway, the Polish people were amazing. The food was great and the organization was really good considering the logistical challenges World Youth Day presents. Thank God there was no incident of violence and I never once saw a single protest or problem. It was a celebration of the Mercy of God and wonderful blessing to the Church and the world. The next one is in Panama in 2019, I can't wait.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2016 at 12:37:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
It was a celebration of the Mercy of God .

It was like minded people getting together,
try not to read into it. Next week is the 76th
annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. in Sturgis
SD. 750,000 riders show up for this and they
will have the same crowd synergy you had
last week, and I guarantee god will not be
there. It's 4 days of drinking, naked women,
smoking pot, having bike events, more drinking
and lots more naked women.

You should go and see what a real celebration
looks like, it will change your life for the better.
So many sinners there your head will implode.

August 3rd, 2016 at 2:35:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
In addition to what I posted last week, I think you should look at the number of people who attend the olympics every two years.

But hey, if you want to keep attaching more and more specific conditions that apply to your event in order to label it as "unique" then go ahead.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 3rd, 2016 at 2:49:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Kind of the definition of unique isn't it? World Youth Day is a unique event that only the Catholic Church could make happen. If you want to just keep ignoring its specific conditions and numbers to make it seem ordinary then go ahead. I have to say though that comparing it to a biker rally was the funniest thing I read today.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2016 at 5:41:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Fine, among all multinational events organized by the Catholic Church, this is the largest.

My problem with your statement is not how unique it is, but rather that no one else could possibly do anything similar, when in fact others have.

The other religions have organized larger events, both one-offs, and recurring. Same with secular and government organizations .

So your statement that only the Catholic Church can do something like this is untrue.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 3rd, 2016 at 6:15:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I have to say though that comparing it to a biker rally was the funniest thing I read today.

It is funny. For sheer fun and excitement, you
can't beat Sturgis. Beats hanging with a bunch
of sober stick up their butts Xtions all patting
themselves on the back for how self righteous
they are. And I know all about large groups
of stick up their butt Xtions, I've been to enough
of my wife's family reunion borefests..
August 3rd, 2016 at 6:44:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Second funniest thing I heard today is that World Youth Day is a borefest. Don't mix up Catholics with evangelical Christians. Imagine a dancefest with music and food from every culture mixed in with a little responsible drinking and lots of prayer, a Pope, saints, and fun and you have WYD.

Again I will say that it is not only the largest multinational gathering of the Church it is the only such gathering of young people from around the world of its kind. What other group would be able to gather 2,000,000 young people from around the world for an event? I'll look again at your list but this is not a year long pilgrimage or a gathering like a funeral that brings together people of various ages mostly from one country. There is nothing like it on your list.