Trump & Putin

March 6th, 2017 at 1:20:59 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
How much money do we need for our military?

We spend 3x as much as the next highest spending country (China), and outspend the next top 7 countries combined.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jan/13/barack-obama/obama-us-spends-more-military-next-8-nations-combi/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 6th, 2017 at 1:30:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Am I incorrect in assuming you are referencing me posting in the wrong thread

nope

If you would be so kind as to educate me about what you feel "I don't get", I would welcome that

I am not sure
Do you laugh when Putin comes on SNL?
If you laughing with the rest of the country, then you get it :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2017 at 1:31:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64

We spend 3x as much as the next highest spending country (China), and outspend the next top 7 countries combined.

I suppose China doesn't buy $1,000 toilet seats...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 6th, 2017 at 1:36:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You are right, I don't get why we aren't supposed to talk with them? Help me out, would ya?

Gladly.

The thing isn't that Trumpistas may or may not have met with Russian officials, but that they lie about it and are covering it up.

Why?

Quote:
Russia is not our enemy.

Russia is not your friend, either.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 6th, 2017 at 1:37:12 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Dalex64

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jan/13/barack-obama/obama-us-spends-more-military-next-8-nations-combi/

"The lowest-paid U.S. soldiers earn about $18,000 a year. In comparison, in 2009, an equivalent Chinese soldier was paid about a ninth as much. In other words, in 2009, you could hire about nine Chinese soldiers for the cost of one U.S. soldier. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2014-09-08/china-s-military-gets-more-bang-for-the-buck

I guess we can compare costs, but comparing to people that pay people jackcrap may not be a good comparison...
March 6th, 2017 at 1:45:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Do you laugh when Putin comes on SNL?
I missed it. I saw Baldwin impersonating Trump shortly, I thought he was good there. I enjoy some political satire, but not when the authors lean to heavily toward influencing their audiences. I liked Tina Fey. I think SNL went down hill after Eddie Murphy left. I would bust a gut when he would do "Ganja Man".

Since I have not seen any of the skits about Putin, I can't really say if I would think they were funny. I will say that I really respect Putin and his handling of affairs with Obama's admins choices, in all the regime changes and the installation of dictators in ME. Putin accomplished in two month in Syria what Obama could not do in 4 years.

It is ridiculous to think that Trump is Putin's Puppet.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 6th, 2017 at 1:55:21 PM permalink
terapined

It is ridiculous to think that Trump is Putin's Puppet.

No doubt Putin had Trump on 24/7 surveillance when he visited Russia
common sense
No doubt Trump is dumb enough to get caught on tape doing something embarrassing in Russia
common sense
Therefore Putin wanted Trump over Clinton
common sense
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2017 at 1:56:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What is wrong with Russians? We have many agreements and treaties with them. They cooperate with us on the Space Station, they have helped a great deal in wiping out ISIS in Syria, they informed our HS about the Boston bombers repeatedly before they performed that bit of terrorism. We have never stopped buying crude oil from them. You are right, I don't get why we aren't supposed to talk with them? Help me out, would ya? Russia is not our enemy. Why do the neo libs/cons want to start ww3 by poking the eye of the bear? Splain it to me why you want the killing to get started in ernest with Russians, while they are helping us in the ME?

Read conservative media prior to Trump if you want to know how bad Russia is.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 6th, 2017 at 1:56:39 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
There is also more to military spending than personnel. Approx 25% of the us military budget is personnel costs, 75% is everything else.

You could also look at it as a percentage of GDP - 4.7% (in 2010) in the united states, vs 1.3% in china. That is actually at or near a historic low for the us.

now, here is a non-vetted source of military personnel spending

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401194

I believe he updated the numbers here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?s=d2d883ef9f4b9f192b4f2dca7dde0609&p=22387411&postcount=39

the US numbers look close to several I checked on Salary.com

Now while all of that was apparently converted into 2010 us dollars, it doesn't take in to account cost of living.

This page has links at the bottom to the military pay of G8 nations. No idea if any of the links are still good
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Pay

Purely as a matter of opinion, I think we spend enough on the military.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 6th, 2017 at 2:07:11 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
Read conservative media prior to Trump if you want to know how bad Russia is.

How soon conservatives forget
People in Netherlands are not forgetting
They blame Putin for killing 298 passengers and flight crew