Pre-collision technology

Page 2 of 2<12
January 1st, 2013 at 1:32:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
The radar stuff, that might be more applicable. If I remember correctly, it was radar-enabled cruise control. You just ping a car, set a distance to follow, and the car automatically keeps that distance. It slows, you slow. It accelerates, you accelerate. If the car comes to a stop, you’ll roll to a stop right behind it. It was kind of neat. But I’d be concerned about foul weather driving. What if you were negotiating a turn with some sort of radar nanny, and without you expecting it, the car suddenly begins braking or accelerating? I ain’t keen on dying, but I’d be downright furious if I was killed.

That doesn't sound very safe.

Perhaps you don't even need it to automatically hit your breaks. A simple verbal warning that you are coming up on a car going 20 mph or less might suffice.

As to protecting yourself, I see these superbumpers for sale, assuming your automobile is large enough.

January 2nd, 2013 at 3:59:29 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Pacomartin
Well there may not be that many high speed rear enders, but when there is one the impact is devastating. This young girl was sitting in a traffic jam on turnpike, and somebody did a high speed rear end, sandwiched her in between two cars so the doors wouldn't open, and burned her alive in front of onlookers.

Do you have a link for a news story on that? It's incredibly morbid, but for some reason I really want to learn more about it...
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 3rd, 2013 at 7:58:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AcesAndEights
Do you have a link for a news story on that? It's incredibly morbid, but for some reason I really want to learn more about it...

Police identify woman killed in turnpike crash
Kathrine Skinner, 29, was sitting in traffic when her car was rammed Friday.

Skinner's car caught fire. Other motorists tried to free her, but the flames got too high and they were forced to stop. Witnesses told police the woman's car was sandwiched between two other vehicles.
Page 2 of 2<12