Olympics 2016

Page 2 of 18<12345>Last »
July 30th, 2016 at 5:07:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288
Remember when they announced that the 2016 Olympics wouldn't be in Chicago and Republicans all cheered???

Republicans: on the wrong side of literally everything.

I cheered and still do. Chicago and Illinois are flat broke and don't have the billions needed to host the games. I could care less if the games are ever held in the USA again. All that cash to build facilities that will later be underused. So now instead of Chicago losing money on the games Rio gets to do so. Explain how not having the games is the wrong side of history, please!
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2016 at 5:43:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

The solution

The solution is to build an Olympic Park
somewhere and hold the games there
every 4 years. It will come to that eventually,
might as well start now. That way every
time it's held, there is no giant expenditure,
security can be far easier, and the games
get the spotlight instead of the city that
went bankrupt holding them.

Put it somewhere in EU and leave it there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2016 at 6:14:09 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
I cheered and still do. Chicago and Illinois are flat broke and don't have the billions needed to host the games. I could care less if the games are ever held in the USA again. All that cash to build facilities that will later be underused. So now instead of Chicago losing money on the games Rio gets to do so. Explain how not having the games is the wrong side of history, please!

Your specialty is being on the wrong side of every single issue; I wouldn't expect you to stop with this one.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 30th, 2016 at 6:58:09 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
I disagree about security costing more
Instead of a gigantic security force for 2 weeks
A small security force that moves from sport to sport as 1 event ends 1 week and another event starts the next week
Much smaller crowds concentrated at 1 venue easier to secure then an entire city filled with venues
Much smaller Olympic village as athletes move in and out as events end and start

As for TV ratings
World Cup lasts over a month and gets great ratings

No opening or closing ceremonies that would be a huge hit on the TV revenue right there. Lots of people wouldn't watch sports they are not interested in if that was all that was being broadcast. When it is on for many hours each day it keeps you in your seat as the coverage moves from sport to sport. If you maintained the downtown medal awarding venues they would need security for the duration. The airport would also need all the extra security for the duration. Athletes village needs security for the duration.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 30th, 2016 at 10:18:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: ams288
Your specialty is being on the wrong side of every single issue; I wouldn't expect you to stop with this one.

How is not wanting the games being on the wrong side of the issue? How is all that debt for the host city a good idea?

Let someone else go broke hosting them.
The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2016 at 1:37:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Another reason to avoid the Olympics when
they're in a crap hole country with 3rd world
security. ISIS dirty bomb threats.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1529920/un-atomic-agency-helping-guard-rio-olympics-from-isis-terror-attack/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2016 at 4:16:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Another reason to avoid the Olympics when
they're in a crap hole country with 3rd world
security. ISIS dirty bomb threats.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1529920/un-atomic-agency-helping-guard-rio-olympics-from-isis-terror-attack/

At least dirty bombs are not practical enough to worry about.
The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2016 at 5:25:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
I typically only watch two events, women's
volleyball, and women gymnastics.

Volleyball viewing is a must:

Gymnastics because I'm a dirty old man.

July 31st, 2016 at 7:15:41 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
How is not wanting the games being on the wrong side of the issue? How is all that debt for the host city a good idea?

Let someone else go broke hosting them.

I agree with you on this one. I think the interest in holding them is starting to wane for exactly the reasons you say. Are its a great feel good story for a country or city to host the event but when it's all said and done very few of them see the benefits outweighing the costs. They are all big money munchers with the exception of LA in 84 which actually made a profit. What did the last winter games in Russia cost? From memory it was something like $50b. Crazy stuff.
August 1st, 2016 at 6:15:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Aussie
They are all big money munchers with the exception of LA in 84 which actually made a profit.

Too bad they can't raise twice as much as they need to spend, and then close the games on opening night ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 18<12345>Last »