Olympics 2016

August 7th, 2016 at 3:00:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Brazil had 60,000 firearm deaths in 2014. The US had 8,000 and we have a 150% larger population.

In 2014, the estimated number of murders in the USA was 14,249.

United Nations Office of Druges and Crime murder rates ranking of Country (or dependent territory, subnational area, etc.)

Honduras
El Salvador
Venezuela
United States Virgin Islands (US)
Lesotho
Jamaica
Belize
Saint Kitts and Nevis
South Africa
Guatemala
Bahamas
Colombia
Trinidad and Tobago
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Brazil

There are over a hundred countries or region with higher murder rates than the USA.

But only a few in Europe (Albania, Lithuania, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus for example)
August 7th, 2016 at 3:14:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
In 2014, the estimated number of murders in the USA was 14,249.

8000-9000 were gun related.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 7th, 2016 at 3:38:19 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Sorry, I still don't get it.
Maybe it's funny rather than ironic that the land of guns and gun violence has top flight shooters. Maybe it's good we have so many guns after all. Kinda like the Swiss have a lot of skis in there country so maybe they would do well skiing, but that's not funny or ironic because skis are not controversial and divisive in Sweden like guns are here.
August 7th, 2016 at 3:40:22 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Watching last night and this morning I was quickly reminded:
If you like to watch the events, watch CBC.
If you like to watch commercials, watch NBC.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 7th, 2016 at 3:46:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: pew
Maybe it's funny rather than ironic that the land of guns and gun violence has top flight shooters. Maybe it's good we have so many guns after all. Kinda like the Swiss have a lot of skis in there country so maybe they would do well skiing, but that's not funny or ironic because skis are not controversial and divisive in Sweden like guns are here.

People who commit gun violence are probably rarely good shots. People who are into competitive shooting take it mega serious. Any lump can aim and pull a trigger.

Guns are "divisive" because part of the population thinks guns not people kill people.
The President is a fink.
August 7th, 2016 at 3:54:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
8000-9000 were gun related.

At any rate, I don't think that anyone ever meant to imply that USA was the world center of gun murders. I think that has always been Latin America, Africa or Eastern Europe.

Comparisons are usually done between USA and the major Western countries in Europe or with Japan.

August 7th, 2016 at 4:03:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Me and AZ aren't the only ones not watching.

"The second night of NBC primetime coverage is off 32 percent from the comparable showing four years ago."

That's a huge number of people that
NBC collected money from advertisers
for. They'll be wanting credit for it big time.

It's in Rio, nobody cares.

Going to be a lot of make-good time this fall. NBC has to be going nuts, they have invested a generation in making themselves the network of the Olympics. I took the tour of the studios years back, they always are working two games out, IOW, the next summer games are already being scouted for locations and the like. You have to figure networks overseas give them something for the feed. But the money is in the ads. That kind of a drop off, WHOA!

I am not sure that I buy that it is the location of Rio. The games used to be way more special, only every 4 years. Now the staggered games it is so often. The global struggle between good and evil has gone from a memory to the history books. So much more entertainment options in sports alone. And not to mention my fellow cord cutters who don't watch any cable at all.
The President is a fink.
August 7th, 2016 at 4:21:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Going to be a lot of make-good time this fall.

I went to NBC just for fun and it was
a commercial. 7min later it was still
commercials, I never saw a minute of
the games. This could be why nobody
is watching in the important 18-45
demo.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 7th, 2016 at 4:26:12 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
People who commit gun violence are probably rarely good shots. People who are into competitive shooting take it mega serious. Any lump can aim and pull a trigger.

Guns are "divisive" because part of the population thinks guns not people kill people.
Hey, it's funny . Don't over analyze it.
August 7th, 2016 at 4:39:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I mute most commercials so, it just gives me a break since I rarely just watch TV as the only thing I'm doing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?