Further Airline mergers

Page 4 of 5<12345>
August 16th, 2016 at 10:23:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Those airports have a lot of nonstops to most South American destinations. But you have airports like Denver (6th busiest in the USA by passenger traffic) which is still pretty large, but has very little flights to Latin America (none to South America).

Even though this is all hypothetical, and partly wishful thinking, the thing is Interjet doesn't fly to Denver.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 16th, 2016 at 11:04:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Even though this is all hypothetical, and partly wishful thinking, the thing is Interjet doesn't fly to Denver.

I understand that. Right now if you want to go to Buenos Aires, more than likely you will fly to one of the five airports in the USA and book a nonstop to Argentina. But you will probably pay a lot of money.

New York–JFK
American Airlines
Aerolíneas Argentinas
LATAM Chile
Miami
American Airlines
Aerolíneas Argentinas
LATAM Argentina
Atlanta
Delta Air Lines
Dallas/Fort Worth
American Airlines
Houston–Intercontinental
United

If you are coming from Asia you probably have to find a nonstop to Texas and transfer to Argentina.

If you are going to change planes anyway, it may be cheaper to book from one of 12 destinations on Copa Airlines and transfer in Panama City. Or alternatively from one of ~30 USA destinations by Aeroméxico and change planes in Mexico City (or coordinate with Delta flights from Atlanta, Detroit, New York-JFK, Salt Lake City to Mexico City). Delta is trying to promote these kind of travelers by purchasing 49% of Aeromexico.

I am simply saying that Interjet is aimed at the business traveler more than Volaris. It might be profitable for them someday to get into this market.

Unfortunately COPA has all the airports of Latin America within the range of their B737s, while Interjet has only 4 airports outside of Mexico and Cuba
BOG Bogota El Dorado International Airport
SJO San José de Costa Rica Juan Santamaría International Airport
GUA Guatemala City La Aurora International Airport
LIM Lima Jorge Chávez International Airport
August 16th, 2016 at 11:35:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Unfortunately COPA has all the airports of Latin America within the range of their B737s, while Interjet has only 4 airports outside of Mexico and Cuba

That's why Interjet needs a wide body to get into South America. Round the circle goes :)

I really don't think they have it in them to do so. Wide body ops are very different from narrow body ones. And also I've no idea if their A320/SU100 interior can even translate to the A330. That's why I suggested adding some kind of business class as well. But then, too, Interjet offers minimal entertainment, without personal screens, no WiFi, and real meals. It's too much of a change from their institutionalized practices.

Airlines need to grow, but it may be there's room for Interjet to grow only with the A320/1 and the regional jet <shrug>. They're only 11 years old, after all. do know they like to buy or lease new planes rather than older ones, FWIW
August 16th, 2016 at 1:00:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
That's why Interjet needs a wide body to get into South America.

Things change. I remember when JetBlue ordered the Embraers, everyone wrote about how Southwest business model deemed that low cost carriers should operate one class of jet. The new class of "all economy" seating for the A330 was adopted by Air Berlin and WOW. WOW sells one way tickets to Iceland starting at $99 from California, and $199 to Europe. Norwegian puts only 5 rows of premium seats that are 7 across rather than the customary 9 seats per row.

The widebody puts California within range of Iceland.

The neoA330 may be more tightly integrated with the neoA320 and neoA321 so that pilots can be trained faster to fly both, and maintenance is more uniform.

Right now Copa has 15 destinations in US and Canada (4 in Florida) and over two dozen destinations in South America. So they can exploit their geographic position by having both continents within range of narrow bodies.

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/ca/routemap
August 16th, 2016 at 1:59:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Things change. I remember when JetBlue ordered the Embraers, everyone wrote about how Southwest business model deemed that low cost carriers should operate one class of jet.

And Interjet already got their rubber-band planes, too ;)

They're also missing trends, like offering better meals or snacks for pay, for example, or charging for bags. I don't mind at all, especially the bag thing when I go to Vegas. But I worry what it spells for their future.

Quote:
The new class of "all economy" seating for the A330 was adopted by Air Berlin and WOW. WOW sells one way tickets to Iceland starting at $99 from California, and $199 to Europe. Norwegian puts only 5 rows of premium seats that are 7 across rather than the customary 9 seats per row.

I find WOW and Iceland Air more relevant to Interjet, because few people want to go to Iceland at all, but it works as a convenient low cost alternative for going to Europe. The other parallel is there are plenty of flights from the US to Europe already. Just look at Flight Radar 24 and focus on the transatlantic routes. Sometimes it looks like an all-out airborne invasion ;)

Interjet took its time going international, and taking advantage of Mexicana's demise (Volaris was more nimble, even setting up a hub in Guadalajara). I'd like to see them going after US-South America business travel first for a change.

Quote:
The neoA330 may be more tightly integrated with the neoA320 and neoA321 so that pilots can be trained faster to fly both, and maintenance is more uniform.

I've read speculation on that, and I figured either way using the same brand of plane would be more advantageous. I'm sure they looked hard at the A318 before finally opting for a regional jet.
August 16th, 2016 at 5:50:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I've read speculation on that, and I figured either way using the same brand of plane would be more advantageous. I'm sure they looked hard at the A318 before finally opting for a regional jet.

Article dated 17.02.2012 "Трансаэро" станет первой компанией, которая покупает самолеты по новой цене - с начала этого года каталожная стоимость одного самолета выросла на 11% до $35,4 млн.
So that is $35.4 million

Airbus press release on month earlier 18 JANUARY 2012
2012 AVERAGE LIST PRICES (mio USD)
A318 $67.7
A319 $80.7
A320 $88.3
A321 $103.6
A319neo $88.8
A320neo $96.7
A321neo $113.3
Price depends on design weights, engines choice and level of selected customisation.

So while I realize that prices are subject to a lot of secrecy and negotiation, that is a massive difference in list price between a Sukhoi Superjet and an A318. Interjet placed their order in January 2011.

The Superjet advertises 3048km range for regular version and 4578 for the long range version. In reality the longest flight currently being flown is 2772 km in Russia. Even allowing for plenty of exaggeration, the range of even the regular plane should not be a big issue for Interjet. Obviously JFK is an unlikely candidate for flights for a regional jet.
August 17th, 2016 at 6:59:20 AM permalink
Nareed
So while I realize that prices are subject to a lot of secrecy and negotiation, that is a massive difference in list price between a Sukhoi Superjet and an A318. Interjet placed their order in January 2011.

No idea what Interjet's financial and strategic thinking was, if any. I think they'd look at the A318, because it gave them commonality with the rest of their fleet for maintenance, training and operations. How seriously they looked is another matter.

Quote:
Obviously JFK is an unlikely candidate for flights for a regional jet.

I was very surprised when my AM flight to and from IAH was on an Embraer regional jet. Houston used to be a destination much in demand.
August 17th, 2016 at 7:14:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I was very surprised when my AM flight to and from IAH was on an Embraer regional jet. Houston used to be a destination much in demand.

I think it still is but a lot of the traffic has moved to Hobby airport with Southwest.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 17th, 2016 at 7:21:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I think it still is but a lot of the traffic has moved to Hobby airport with Southwest.

Southwest only recently started flying to MEX. My AM flight was in 2012, which I neglected to mention.

I knew United flew a regional to TLC (I think it still does), but I figured that was on account of TLC rather than IAH.
August 17th, 2016 at 8:13:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Southwest only recently started flying to MEX. My AM flight was in 2012, which I neglected to mention. I knew United flew a regional to TLC (I think it still does), but I figured that was on account of TLC rather than IAH.

I don't think they fly to Toluca anymore. United Mainline and Express flies to the following cities in Latin America and the Caribbean from IAH. The Latin American business from Houston was built up by Continental, but was inherited when United bought them out.

United flies both mainline aircraft and regionals to Mexico City and Guadalajara, but only regional aircraft to Monterrey , MX

IAH
MTY 411 mi
VER 748 mi
MEX 763 mi
CUN 811 mi
GDL 820 mi

United Mainline
Guadalajara, Mexico City, Cancún
Santiago de Chile, São Paulo–Guarulhos, Rio de Janeiro–Galeão, Buenos Aires–Ezeiza, Lima, Panama City,
Aruba, Belize City, Bonaire, Bogotá, Caracas, Cozumel, Guatemala City, Liberia (CR) , Managua, Mérida, Montego Bay,Nassau, Port of Spain, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Quito, Roatán, San José de Costa Rica, San José del Cabo, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa + San Juan.
Seasonal: Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo

United Express
Guadalajara,Mexico City, Monterrey.
Acapulco, Aguascalientes, Chihuahua, Ciudad del Carmen, Huatulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, León/Del Bajío, Manzanillo, Morelia, Oaxaca, Puebla, Querétaro, San José del Cabo, San Luis Potosí, Tampico, Veracruz, Villahermosa,
Page 4 of 5<12345>