is Trump trying to lose?

Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>
October 17th, 2016 at 9:22:47 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: rxwine
I think the Republicans actually had the ability to find information and hit Trump hard before he got the nomination. I think they miscalculated terribly.

It's truly a mystery why no one working for Cruz or Kasich or Bush or any of the other GOP primary candidates didn't dig through the tapes of Trump's 25 appearances on The Howard Stern Show.

Quote: HOWARD STERN SHOW TRANSCRIPT (2006)
HOWARD STERN: “Donald seriously, you know all about sexual predators and things like that.”

ROBIN QUIVERS: “You are one.”

DONALD TRUMP: “It’s true.”

On more than one occasion, Trump has mentioned dating his own daughter. "She does have a very nice figure" Trump said on The View in 2006. "I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.” It's one thing to dig up some obscure interview from 10 or 20 years ago. But Trump mentioned dating his daughter to Rolling Stone in September 2015, (!) and yet for some reason none of the GOP candidates called him out on it.

So why are the right-wingers pissed at the liberal media for being too nice to Trump during the primaries??? The liberal media has been reporting the nasty dirt on Trump for 18 months! Meanwhile Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Laura Ingraham, Hugh Hewitt, and Sean Hannity urged their audience to ignore the politically correct liberal media's anti-Trump bias.
October 24th, 2016 at 4:35:25 PM permalink
reno
Right-wing blogger Erick Erickson has written repeatedly that Trump is deliberately throwing the election to Clinton. As Erickson puts it, the election is being stolen. (For example, Trump does have a history performing in pro-wrestling, where the bouts are rigged and scripted ahead of time.)

Quote: reno
Exhibit B: He's wasting precious time campaigning in deep blue states. Why is Trump wasting time chasing Maine's 4 electoral votes? (Maine hasn't voted Republican since 1988.)

Statistician Nate Silver estimates that Clinton has a 92.5% chance of winning the state of Virginia.

“There is absolutely no logical reason for Trump to be spending resources in Virginia,” said Jennifer Duffy, a senior editor for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report. “Especially since there are a handful of very tight states out there that could use those resources.”

But Trump likes to be unpredictable, he likes to go against the grain, and do it his way. So Trump is spending $2 million on television ads in Virginia! Moreover, his campaign said he and running mate Mike Pence will return to the state “a lot” before Election Day.

The professionals are shocked. Virginia-based GOP consultant Tucker Martin wrote on Twitter: “He’s at 29% in Va.”

So why spend $2 million on ads in an unwinnable state?

Quote: Washington Post
Some Republicans are bitter about the Virginia focus, which they variously attribute to inept campaign strategists, the billionaire’s stubborn pride, even a desire to protect the Trump brand in a state where the family owns a winery and golf course. The most positive take was that it was a head fake — a bid to project strength nationally following reports, disputed by the campaign but damaging nonetheless, that Trump was pulling out of Virginia.

“I think it’s an absolute joke, the notion that he would continue to make a pitch for Virginia,” said a senior GOP strategist, who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to be frank about the party’s nominee. “It is the most unprofessional campaign in modern presidential history. Don’t assume there’s a strategy.”
October 25th, 2016 at 4:23:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
“I think it’s an absolute joke, the notion that he would continue to make a pitch for Virginia,” said a senior GOP strategist, who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to be frank about the party’s nominee. “It is the most unprofessional campaign in modern presidential history. Don’t assume there’s a strategy.”

I think the logical thing would be to campaign in the most vulnerable states that Obama lost in 2012. At least it would guarantee that history remembers that Hillary did no better than Obama.

Obama lost 2012 (Obama % of popular vote)
Utah 27.2%
Wyoming 31.4%
Oklahoma 33.2%
Idaho 35.5%
W Virginia 37.7%
Arkansas 39.4%
Alabama 39.5%
Kentucky 39.5%
Nebraska 40.2%
Kansas 40.3%
Tennessee 40.5%
N Dakota 41.7%
S Dakota 42.1%
Louisiana 42.2%
Texas 42.8%
Montana 44.7%
Mississippi 44.7%
Alaska 45.2%
S Carolina 45.4%
Indiana 45.9% <-----
Missouri 46.2% <-----
Arizona 46.4% <-----
Georgia 46.7% <-----
N Carolina 49.6% <-----

Of the states that Obama won, Trump has a shot at winning Ohio, Nevada and Wisconsin. Winning all three would not give him the presidency, but it might help his cause in the future endeavors.

EV
29 Florida
20 Pennsylvania
18 Ohio
13 Virginia
10 Minnesota
16 Michigan
10 Wisconsin
9 Colorado
6 Nevada
6 Iowa
4 Maine
4 New Hampshire

But you have to remember, that Trump wanted to campaign in New York. That is far more insane than campaigning in VA.
October 25th, 2016 at 6:13:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Look at today's electoral vote map from Real Clear Politics:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_elections_electoral_college_map.html

I know all the usual caveats, but it's amazing Trump is doing so badly.

Or it would be, if this were a generic Republican politico rather than Trump.

Only two weeks to go.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 25th, 2016 at 8:18:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Winning all three would not give him the presidency, but it might help his cause in the future endeavors.

What future endeavors can you see him taking up in politics? it's rare for a losing candidate in the general election to run again (other than Nixon, I can't recall a recent one), even when they are highly regarded in their own party. Yes, largely because they'll be reviled by their own base after they lose (bet you didn't know Romney and McCain are RINOs?). Trump, though, is all base and no party.
October 25th, 2016 at 8:21:33 AM permalink
reno
Quote: Nareed
What future endeavors can you see him taking up in politics? it's rare for a losing candidate in the general election to run again (other than Nixon, I can't recall a recent one), even when they are highly regarded in their own party. Yes, largely because they'll be reviled by their own base after they lose (bet you didn't know Romney and McCain are RINOs?). Trump, though, is all base and no party.

His goal isn't to become a politician who wins elections. His goal is to drum up publicity for his business ventures. He wants to start a media empire-- specifically an online news channel with a white nationalist theme. It'll be yuuuge.
October 25th, 2016 at 8:46:44 AM permalink
Nareed
His goal isn't to become a politician who wins elections.

He's made that amply clear :)

Quote:
His goal is to drum up publicity for his business ventures. He wants to start a media empire-- specifically an online news channel with a white nationalist theme. It'll be yuuuge.

It seems far to banal that it required a presidential campaign. It's something you'd expect a comic book villain like Lex Luthor to do.
October 26th, 2016 at 11:04:18 AM permalink
reno
I'm pretty certain that Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama didn't win the Oval Office by allocating $3.2 million of their campaign budget on hats. The relevant point is that he spent less on pollsters than on hats. Perhaps this proves he's incompetent, perhaps this proves he's insane. But I'm still convinced that the most likely explanation is that Trump is deliberately trying to lose.

Quote: Washington Post
According to the Federal Election Commission filings, Donald Trump's presidential campaign has spent $1.8 million on polling from June 2015 through September of this year (the most recent month for which data are available). The report also lists $3.2 million spent on hats.

Trump has probably spent more on hats than he has spent on direct mail. The campaign filings occasionally aggregate a few things from the same vendor under one line-item, so some of the hat spending was on collateral generally that includes some hats. (His campaign spent more than $2 million on a line-item that was exclusively hats, though.) Overall, Trump's spent about $15.3 million on collateral — shirts, hats, signs, etc. — more than he has spent on field consulting and voter lists and data.

October 26th, 2016 at 2:30:03 PM permalink
Nareed
It would be interesting to see whether one of Trump's companies is either making or licensing the baseball caps. It might be just part of a scam to milk his campaign some more.

Also interesting, are the caps made in China perchance? almost everything else is :)
October 26th, 2016 at 4:13:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
His goal isn't to become a politician who wins elections. His goal is to drum up publicity for his business ventures. He wants to start a media empire-- specifically an online news channel with a white nationalist theme. It'll be yuuuge.

Rupert Murdoch is much wealthier than DJT, and that may be his goal.
Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>