MMA fighting

Page 1 of 41234>
August 21st, 2016 at 1:48:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I was intrigued by the Connor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz fight so I decided to watch it with some friends and give MMA a chance since boxing is seemingly not relevant anymore. I was concerned that the sport was too violent. However, I was surprised by the events. Everyone, besides Nate and Connor handled themselves like gentlemen with a lot of respect for each other, and even Nate at the end picked Connor up and they exchanged some nice words. It is brutal, but it is over quick and I like that referees seems to be there to make sure no one gets too seriously hurt. I imagine the damage they experience to their bodies, especially their head injuries, may be actually less than a professional boxer. The presence of copious amounts of blood is not for the faint of heart and makes things look worse then they are. I don't know I might start following this sport. Does anyone else follow MMA fighting? What do you all think of the sport?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 21st, 2016 at 2:05:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't follow it but know a little. When it first came out the thing was just a step ahead of the cops. Events might get raided. Eventually they decided that was bad business and over time it became legit. It seems to be taking over boxing because it is faster moving and not the circus boxing has made itself.

Blood usually looks worse than it is. MMA is just the latest sport in men testing themselves against other men. Boxing, wrestling, jousting, and so many others. That is why the popularity. Such man-tests are naturally popular.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2016 at 2:39:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Boxing commissions regulated boxing, not extreme cage fighting which allowed punches, kicks, scratching and biting. Originally, a winner could not be declared unless the loser had a broken limb. If it had not been broken in the fight, the winner would have to go back and elevate a loser's leg then jump on him to break his leg.

Ofcourse this riled politicians, do-gooders and much talk about gladiators.

Adopting a point system rather than a broken leg made economic and legal sense.

London Prize Ring rules had advantages over Marquis of Queensberry Rules. Gloves allowed greater hand injuries to take place and greater head injuries.

Think of it? Look at the DOLLARS and then tell me.
August 21st, 2016 at 2:54:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
[I watched MMA style on VCR cassettes when they had VCR rental places still. The early days challengers came from the crowd and champions were made from the same. But it was more brute than skill.

There were maybe 10 cassettes at the time and I rented all of them eventually.

It kind of reminded me of matches between Popeye and Bluto because of the characters that were sometimes involved. Very unregulated.

I didn't really watch it regularly after it developed into what it is today, but I still catch some matches.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 21st, 2016 at 3:08:30 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
I was intrigued by the Connor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz fight so I decided to watch it with some friends and give MMA a chance since boxing is seemingly not relevant anymore. I was concerned that the sport was too violent. However, I was surprised by the events. Everyone, besides Nate and Connor handled themselves like gentlemen with a lot of respect for each other, and even Nate at the end picked Connor up and they exchanged some nice words. It is brutal, but it is over quick and I like that referees seems to be there to make sure no one gets too seriously hurt. I imagine the damage they experience to their bodies, especially their head injuries, may be actually less than a professional boxer. The presence of copious amounts of blood is not for the faint of heart and makes things look worse then they are. I don't know I might start following this sport. Does anyone else follow MMA fighting? What do you all think of the sport?

First of all, I in general believe that two consenting adults should be allowed to do virtually anything......
The referees can limit how seriously hurt a participant can get, but at the top level I would guess that you will see multiple concussions to multiple fighters each night. The participants are allowed to continue after having one, and are lauded for 'clearing their head', and 'not giving up'. Amazingly, with the NFL being raked over the coals for concussions, there is this relatively new sport that racks them up daily. I am actually surprised this is now legal in every state.
So.... I love MMA. I think these are the finest athletes in the world. The pure competition, with each combatant actually having something to lose (their consciousness!), is thrilling. I have gone to two low level events here locally, and watch most of the free events and even the occasional PPV. Coincidentally, the day after the second event I went to, I took care of one of the participants I watched who needed a plate put in to repair the bones of his eye socket. When I was interviewing him to get his medical history, his GF interrupted and said he was an ex MMA fighter now.
August 21st, 2016 at 9:19:21 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Wonderful sport. 4 deaths in last 3 years in sanctioned fights, 6 in unsanctioned fights.
August 22nd, 2016 at 6:40:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I was intrigued by the Connor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz fight so I decided to watch it with some friends and give MMA a chance since boxing is seemingly not relevant anymore.

The only people more brainless than the two trying to beat each other up, are the people who enjoy watching two people trying to beat each other up.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 22nd, 2016 at 6:46:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
The only people more brainless than the two trying to beat each other up, are the people who enjoy watching two people trying to beat each other up.

Where would the person who paid $69.99 to watch it on TV rank?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 22nd, 2016 at 6:57:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich

Rank with the NHL fans that prefer fighting over sportsmanship
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 22nd, 2016 at 7:03:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich

Brainless with money to burn?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 41234>