MMA fighting

Page 3 of 4<1234>
August 22nd, 2016 at 2:19:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
You say this as if they were mutually exclusive. Lol.

I love Olympic Hockey, sportsmanship without fighting
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 22nd, 2016 at 2:37:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: buzzardknot
FACE " Sport keeps me from sending my boss through the racks or nearest window." Now I understand why you chose the Post office as a career.

Lol! Yeah, "chose". Guys like me don't get to choose =p

Quote: terapined
I love Olympic Hockey, sportsmanship without fighting

Me, too. Totally different game. You wouldn't think something as scant as 15' would make much of a difference, but it's night and freaking day. Like mall walking vs steeple chase, no lie. It's sort of European. The game is much more "artistic", like a sweeping symphony. Problems are solved by skill and grace, and it seems, at least to me, like it's faster. Sure as f#$% felt faster when I played it ><

But I prefer Canadian hockey. I didn't hit the ice until I was 17, so it's the one physical sport that challenges me. All the try-hard and hustle can't make up for 10 years of experience lost, but my aggression narrows that gap to equality. Love it to death.

Fear not. The whole world's going soft. Canadian hockey will probably die in your life time. I just hope I'm an ornery old man by then =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 22nd, 2016 at 2:44:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

The whole world's going soft.

me wonders if Face saw the movie "Slap shot". It's the only hockey movie I still remember.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:03:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
me wonders if Face saw the movie "Slap shot". It's the only hockey movie I still remember.

I would be shocked if he hasn't. I'm sure Face is a huge Hanson brothers fan :-)
Its Golfs version of Caddyshack
Both comedy masterpieces.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:10:46 PM permalink
Face

Believe it or not, I only saw maybe 2-3 years ago. And ya know, wasn't a fan. Not really at all. Some funny moments, a few characters with potential, but I just couldn't relate. Like, 3 out of 10 bad. Mighty Ducks TWO was better, IMO =/

Mighty Ducks is a really good one, as is Youngblood. The greatest of them all though is Miracle with... (/sigh, f#$%ing concussions ><) ...that guy. Kurt something? Very famous. That's a movie you'll love even if you don't like hockey, like give-you-chills type movie. But my favorite is Goon with the Stiffler guy. That's like a 90 minute trip on the WarWagon. That's my hockey =)

To FrG, I say enjoy it if you dig it. If you're looking for scruples in sports, you're gonna have to stick to your nephew's U12 soccer matches, sad to say =/
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:14:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
I hear what you are saying but there is something about fighting someone one on one that has such an appeal. To train ourselves to fight can be an art. These mixed martial artists are on a different plane than the rest of us. They can box and kick and grapple and submit, it is amazing to watch how proficient they are at it. I too wish there was a way to make sure no one got hurt. When I realized boxing causes such damage I thought maybe the professionals should go to Olympic style boxing with headgear and a point system. However, this type of boxing is so subjective and strange and leads to crazy results. Maybe what I would appreciate better is some type of wrestling, those guys are amazing too. Thanks.

The thing is, the public comes to see the violence, not the art. Late-1800s boxing usually killed one of the guys, gloves were intentionally made to hurt not with padding. How many hockey fans want to see fights? NFL football tackles have gotten more violent because wild hits sell tickets.

I agree it would be better to see "no one gets hurt." Not to the point where you cannot get hurt, any contact sport has accidents, but to have finesse not blood be the goal. Such a sport would last less than a year. If it did last it would be a microniche.
The President is a fink.
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:17:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I realize you're making an opinion on civilized behavior and I'm not gonna argue that. I also realize that you're just expressing an opinion and not stating that all violent activities should be banned, so I'm not going there either.

I won't ever advocate banning any activity, no matter how heinous I find it, as long as it involves consenting adults aware of the risks and consequences. You have a right to screw up your life however you want.

Abolishing such activities by persuasion is another matter.

Quote:
But I shudder to think of where I'd be without a codified, accepted way to release violence.

That I simply don't understand. Why should you have violence that needs to be released?

I get being so mad at someone you want to hurt them physically. But this seems to be something else.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:18:23 PM permalink
Nareed

There's more than one??

I saw it, under really odd circumstances. I don't remember much about it. i think someone killed someone else, but I'm not sure. I do recall it involved hockey.
August 22nd, 2016 at 3:43:41 PM permalink
Face
Quote: terapined
I would be shocked if he hasn't. I'm sure Face is a huge Hanson brothers fan :-)
Its Golfs version of Caddyshack
Both comedy masterpieces.

I always find it interesting to see the impression I leave on people =)

Honestly, I have no love for the Hanson's. Not that funny, not that cool, I found their schtick quite silly. One guy calls my Ogglthorpe on account of my 'fro, but I diddn't much dig him either. The only bright spot I found was the quite funny interview between Carr and the goalie (Lemieux?). It's the only part of the movie I remember, and the lone skit I reference from time to time. "You do that, you go to the box, you know. You go to the box, you know, by yourself, and you feel shame. Then you get out." That scene makes me giggle. I'll have to incorporate it into my reffing =)

Quote: Nareed
I won't ever advocate banning any activity, no matter how heinous I find it, as long as it involves consenting adults aware of the risks and consequences. You have a right to screw up your life however you want.

Abolishing such activities by persuasion is another matter.

I knew this was your stance already. It's one of the many reasons I like you =)

Quote: Nareed
That I simply don't understand. Why should you have violence that needs to be released?

I get being so mad at someone you want to hurt them physically. But this seems to be something else.

I probably just used the wrong words. It's probably better said that I have anger and/or frustration that needs be released, it just so happens that violence is the path that gives me the most relief. Like, when you get so mad at someone you want to hurt them, you, like I, probably have a number of ways to cope. Maybe you chant, maybe you cook, maybe you go for a run, maybe you paint. I, too, have a number of productive ways to cope, whether it be going fishing with my son to "bring me back down", or doing a bunch of yard work to work out the energy.

But valuable and efficient as those means are, there's always just a touch of residual left. Those activities bring me back down, I have no urge to do anything to anyone any longer, but often there's still this little mote of irritation. Actually engaging in violence, like playing hockey, playing football, shooting cans or bottles or TV's, that completely cleans the slate. It's a difference of thinking about an incident and being OK with it, and forgetting about the incident completely. Catching a tight end just as he makes a reception, or catching a winger with his head down, and just lighting someone up... it just feels gooooooood =)

As long as you don't injure him, of course. Then you have another, often bigger problem - guilt.
August 22nd, 2016 at 4:21:56 PM permalink
Nareed
But valuable and efficient as those means are, there's always just a touch of residual left. Those activities bring me back down, I have no urge to do anything to anyone any longer, but often there's still this little mote of irritation. Actually engaging in violence, like playing hockey, playing football, shooting cans or bottles or TV's, that completely cleans the slate.

Oh, I get angry very often. There are several reasons for this. But I let it pass. it's not like stress, it doesn't build up. You can tell when I've acted on it because I've been banned here and at WoV.

I don't get a desire to actually punch someone, or kick them. Hurt them, yes.
Page 3 of 4<1234>