Tsunami bomb

January 2nd, 2013 at 10:55:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The United States and New Zealand conducted secret tests of a "tsunami bomb" designed to destroy coastal cities by using underwater blasts to trigger massive tidal waves.

The top secret operation, code-named "Project Seal", tested the doomsday device as a possible rival to the nuclear bomb. About 3,700 bombs were exploded during the tests, first in New Caledonia and later at Whangaparaoa Peninsula, near Auckland.

The tests were carried out in waters around New Caledonia and Auckland during the Second World War and showed that the weapon was feasible and a series of 10 large offshore blasts could potentially create a 33-foot tsunami capable of inundating a small city

here

You just never know what they may be coming up with in the weapons designing thinktanks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2013 at 1:05:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It might be helpful to remember that during WW Two the official plans were that if the Japanese invaded Australia there was to be a massive scorched earth policy involving two thirds of the Continent since successfully resisting any Japanese beachhead was considered impossible.

Destroying an enemy port city pales by comparison to what the Australians were willing to do virtually their entire country, if needbe.
January 3rd, 2013 at 9:13:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
You just never know what they may be coming up with in the weapons designing thinktanks.

At least there is some sort of strategic objective. The Kuwaiti Oil Fires were just vindictive.

I am sure you could do just as much damage with (1) a dam busting bomb, (2) bombing a nuclear power plant to send radioactive debris over thousands of miles, (3) firestorms like they caused in Dresden, or (4) biological weapons.

For me, I suffered a loss of innocence when I went to work at a Navy laboratory and I realized that the anti-personnel mines were deliberately designed to maim and not to kill. A maimed soldier is a much bigger problem for the enemy then a dead one.
January 3rd, 2013 at 12:18:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Darn!

I thought this was about the band Tsunami Bomb, they kicked ass, but nobody really knew who they were...they were kind of underground Punk, I guess.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 3rd, 2013 at 12:36:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
I am sure you could do just as much damage with (1) a dam busting bomb, (2) bombing a nuclear power plant to send radioactive debris over thousands of miles, (3) firestorms like they caused in Dresden, or (4) biological weapons.

Of those, the Japan tsunami destroyed a dam, and wrecked nuclear plants with associated damage.

Quote:
The World Bank's estimated economic cost was US$235 billion, making it the most expensive natural disaster in world history

Of course, it was about twice as high as this manmade wave would be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2013 at 12:42:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't know. Two kilotons of conventional explosives arrayed in a miles-long formation rather close to shore, that's asking any half-competent navy to drop depth charges on top of your divers and/or submersibles.

War is nasty. Weapons of war are nasty. All of them. In medieval times, soldiers carried weapons for eviscerating and dismembering the opposition. XIX Century ammunition was a slow killer, too. Cluster bombs are plain horrible, especially those used for destroying enemmy runways. There is no good way to die in a war.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER