The billion dollar move and the overseas market

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
February 25th, 2018 at 11:59:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
The Fantastic Four #1 (Nov. 1961), was the first Superhero Marvel comic book and the characters squabbled, .

I was a huge comic book reader
until the early 60's when I discovered
Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Superman
and Superboy and girl were my faves.
Batman was too dark. I read a lot
of Archie comics, Nancy, and Dennis
the Menace. I could only take so much
of the superhero crap, I thought it
was silly and repetitive. I enjoyed the
cleverness of the funny comics and
Mad Magazine. The superheros were
seldom clever and took themselves
very seriously. Ick..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2018 at 10:51:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I thought it was silly and repetitive.

It is remarkable how much money is being spent on these movies. The egos and budget rival anything in classic Hollywood.

“Justice League” reportedly cost $300 million just to produce, with an additional $150 million spent on marketing. Wonder Woman probably cost half as much.

Domestic: $412,563,408+ Foreign: $409,283,604= Worldwide: $821,847,012 Wonder Woman
Domestic: $228,805,093+ Foreign: $428,800,000= Worldwide: $657,605,093 Justice League

Even if Justice League had made as much money as Wonder Woman, it probably still wouldn't have broken even.
Supposedly Gal Gadot had a net worth in the range of $8 million before she made this movie.
February 26th, 2018 at 7:39:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Marvel comic books were a big part of my childhood. For nostalgia I tend to watch these movies on the small screen, as it is more like reading comic books as a kid.

there was a news stand in the corner of the block I grew up in. We'd walk the short distance there often and buy comic books, which I made a habit to read during meals (I still read during meals, BTW). I would buy things like Archie, Nancy, Blondie, Disney, a Spanish parody of secret agents called "Mortadelo y Filemón," and sometimes things like the Flintstones. I never got any superhero comics or other forms of "action" comics. To this day, i don't think I've ever read one.

My exposure to superheroes came from crappy live and cartoon shows from the 60s and 70s. I liked the Batman show with Adam West, which at the time I thought was serious drama (it wasn't). I also liked two awful, terrible cartoons: "The Fantastic Four" and "The Galaxy Trio." As noted, they were very bad, but both featured a woman in the team.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 26th, 2018 at 8:39:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
My exposure to superheroes came from crappy live and cartoon shows from the 60s and 70s. I

What set the Marvel comics apart was the angst that permeated their lives. Noticeably absent from the DC comic heroes or the TV Hanna Barbera shows.

February 26th, 2018 at 9:27:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What set the Marvel comics apart was the angst that permeated their lives. Noticeably absent from the DC comic heroes or the TV Hanna Barbera shows.

As I said, I've never read superhero comic books.

I kind of liked the Batman movie in 1989. Though looking back on it, it doesn't seem as good now. Soon after, though, there were the Bruce Timm Batman cartoons. I love those. In particular the movie "Mask of the Phantasm," which does hold up very well today. The same production team also did a Superman animated series (with Dana Delaney as Lois Lane), and later on two Justice League series, as well as occasional movies.

All those are better than the various superhero movies. This is because amid quantity you'll invariably find some really good episodes, as well as off-formula eps, while movies are few and either sink or swim (or paddle and keep afloat, I guess).

When marvel started releasing X-Men, Iron Man and such, I simply had no idea who these people are. I knew Spiderman (70s cartoons), but the movies were just terrible, IMO. I also knew The hulk from the 70s-80s Bill Bixby sereis, but never liked the character at all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 26th, 2018 at 9:42:25 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Growing up
I read some comics such as Archie and that whole gang
Read some superman and batman
read some war comics
but
I always returned to my favorite
Mad magazine. Would buy it every month. They were always fun to reread because they were that funny
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 26th, 2018 at 8:15:03 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I read the Mad magazines more than any other comic. Used to annoy me that my Dad called them "Mad comic books" when I considered them magazines. I realize now that they taught my little mind political topics of the day, like the Vietnam War, race relations, sexism, presidential elections (particularly Nixon, a big topic of the day), etc. Every issue had spoofs of current movies that often I was too young to see. I used to buy the older issues at Half Price Books, which started in Austin where I grew up, when those stores were jut dusty used-book warehouses. Used to ride my bike with a wad of $1s to get Mads, and spooky comics like Tales of the Unexpected, Tales from the Crypt, and others like Sad Sack, Richie Rich, Archie, and others. My sister gave me Fantastic Four #4 (I seem to remember) for Christmas in the early 70s. Don't have it anymore.

I had so many of the thin monthly Mad magazines, and the pocket paperback books. What a time to be alive.
February 26th, 2018 at 9:22:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
I read Mad in the 60's whenever I
could get it. I have a couple of Mad
paperbacks from that era with the
mag material inside. I was disappointed
at how dated and silly and unfunny it
was. Juvenile humor, not clever at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 27th, 2018 at 7:13:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Introduction of Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War.
February 27th, 2018 at 10:52:16 AM permalink
Evenbob

Introduction of Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War.

Good thing there are subtitles, couldn't
understand a word the guy in the silly
costume was saying.
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>