NFL 2016

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
September 23rd, 2016 at 7:40:48 PM permalink
miplet
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 4
Posts: 354
Quote: Ayecarumba
What I can say is that if the broadcast of a two and half hour game were condensed to just the actual action on the field, the broadcast would be what... 30 - 40 minutes?

11 minutes according to the Wall Street Journal
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
September 24th, 2016 at 12:10:07 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 81
Posts: 1315
Quote: miplet
11 minutes according to the Wall Street Journal

I will take your word for it as the article requires a subscription to read.

Amazing. I don't think football and other contact sports have a future in our increasingly injury averse world, even if the game were just 11 minutes of non stop action. Mother's are not going to let their son's participate if it is proven that even Pop Warner level play has detrimental long term effects on the brain. Without a continuing replacement of talent, interest in the game will fall as top athletes only participate for a season then retire hoping to avoid dementia later.
September 24th, 2016 at 2:23:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 99
Posts: 6300
Quote: Ayecarumba
Quote: miplet
11 minutes according to the Wall Street Journal

I will take your word for it as the article requires a subscription to read.

Amazing. I don't think football and other contact sports have a future in our increasingly injury averse world, even if the game were just 11 minutes of non stop action. Mother's are not going to let their son's participate if it is proven that even Pop Warner level play has detrimental long term effects on the brain. Without a continuing replacement of talent, interest in the game will fall as top athletes only participate for a season then retire hoping to avoid dementia later.


I continue to say that soon every NFL game will resemble the Pro-Bowl. Not so much tackle as "heavy touch" and just about lost of offense. At the high school level you may see schools either get out due to the "danger" or there will just not be enough players. Then the feed to college dries up. Slowly, interest in the pro game drops.

Another weekend coming up and I still have zero interest. At work was chatting and a few others are similarly losing interest. Not quite as much as me, but give it time.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 24th, 2016 at 7:43:09 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 18
Posts: 692
Quote: Ayecarumba
Mother's are not going to let their son's participate if it is proven that even Pop Warner level play has detrimental long term effects on the brain.


I think you are giving the population way too much credit by assuming they will do the intelligent thing.
October 25th, 2016 at 10:53:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 313
Posts: 10666
That didn't take long.

Between work and cooking, I'd been unable to watch many games. I was getting into it last week, and then the Steelers lost to the Dolphins (whom I'd no idea where still around <w>), and then they lost Roethlisberger.

And then the Vikings were 5-0. That's just weird.

I'm out.

See you next year.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
October 25th, 2016 at 6:15:55 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 81
Posts: 1315
Quote: DRich
I think you are giving the population way too much credit by assuming they will do the intelligent thing.


Hehe... There is still money to be made though. Perhaps folks will just learn to live with players having short careers and long retirements. I just hope the NFL does right by the older players suffering from CTE. Junior Seau's suicide was a real black eye for the league, since the problem had been known for several years prior to his death in 2012.
October 26th, 2016 at 2:15:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 99
Posts: 6300
Quote: Ayecarumba
Hehe... There is still money to be made though. Perhaps folks will just learn to live with players having short careers and long retirements. I just hope the NFL does right by the older players suffering from CTE. Junior Seau's suicide was a real black eye for the league, since the problem had been known for several years prior to his death in 2012.


NFL do right by players?

I'm having fun watching the NFL make all their excuses for ratings falling. They are a bit like Detroit in the 1970s ignoring the imports and their customers, assuming the good times will never end. After the election is over what will be the excuse? The holiday season??
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
November 2nd, 2016 at 8:42:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 313
Posts: 10666
Do you suppose many people are boycotting the NFL this year because of Colin Kapernick?
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
November 2nd, 2016 at 2:05:57 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3112
Quote: Nareed
Do you suppose many people are boycotting the NFL this year because of Colin Kapernick?


Highly doubtful. It's not even that unique a stunt, he's not terribly relevant, and it's not "the NFL". It's just him.

As fate would have it, I've actually caught some games this year. I saw the Bills beat the Pats, and I think the Steelers / Pats the following week, and I caught most of some other game over a steak at Applebees. And I gotta say, it was a bit shocking having not seen football for the better part of 5 years now. I won't go down the "neutered" road. I still roll my eyes when I see a flag for what is the most innocuous contact, but even that doesn't "ruin" the game. There was one definite thing that set me off...

Dilution.

Used to be that foosball ruled the fall, even when 95% of the games fell in 16hrs on one day. Didn't matter; everyone's life still revolved around it. I happened upon (what do they call that digital TV guide thing?) <that, and forget "spoiled for choice", it was OVERWHELMING. There's this, and then that, some of those and a big ol pile of this, and that's just right now. This game is on Thursday, this one's on at 5 in the GD morning, this one will start at 5:36p for some GD reason, and for those scant areas there's NOT a game, plus ALLLLL of the week there are no games, there is some sort of show that will go over every single bit of mundane minutia you could ever hope for, and then twice again that for stuff you had no idea existed.

THE GAME IS A GODDAMNED HOUR LONG! Wtf are you even TALKING about? It's like the NFL pension plan is a color seat, so they have to create all these shows just to employ people.

There's no more build up, no more EXCITEMENT. Stimulation only works when it's irregular. Make it regular and you become numb to it. That's the NFL in a nutshell. They looked for numbers and ignored the spirit, and that's what they got. And, it shows.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 2nd, 2016 at 2:20:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 313
Posts: 10666
Quote: Face
Highly doubtful. It's not even that unique a stunt, he's not terribly relevant, and it's not "the NFL". It's just him.


The idea's been floating around lately... It didn't seem likely to me.

Quote:
I won't go down the "neutered" road. I still roll my eyes when I see a flag for what is the most innocuous contact, but even that doesn't "ruin" the game. There was one definite thing that set me off...


My interest waxes and wanes according to how the Steelers are doing, more or less. But lately I also keep wondering how much damage and what quality of life awaits so many of the players.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »