Windoze 8

Page 25 of 27« First<222324252627>
March 7th, 2016 at 6:30:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
1) The PC runs a lot faster than it did on Win7.

This is no big endorsement for Win10, though. When new, it ran just as well on win7. We'll see fi the "refresh" feature of Win10 works when it gets slow, or whether it gets slow to begin with (it will, I'm sure).

2) I am trying to get along with Win10 in native form, and in some ways it's not so bad. But that "recent items" link is missing and it was really useful. We'll see.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 7th, 2016 at 7:39:37 AM permalink
Nareed
3) The upgrade was 100% painless. It took up over the 90 minutes promised, but it didn't get stuck at all, all my settings remained, all my software remained, all my files remained, and the one program it had to remove was some bloatware Bluetooth keyboard controller I never use anyway.

The second point matters a great deal. The quick lunch tool bar is still there, the proscription on window miniatures still works, the internet connection is unaffected, the printer still works, Firefox is still the default browser and Google the search engine, the background image is the same, ditto the screen saver, etc. Either I got lucky, or MS has worked out most of the kinks (I got lucky).

There were some clean up matters, like removing the Cortana search box and the multiple desktop switcher. I wouldn't mind them if I could shift them to the right side of the taskbar, but that's not possible. I also removed the icon for the touch keyboard taking up space in the notification area (touch keyboard on a desktop PC???). I did away with the less than useless lock screen.

I wonder since I now have a desktop and laptop running the same OS, whether they can be "synced," and whether it matters at all.
March 8th, 2016 at 7:01:56 AM permalink
Nareed
As to the claims from MS:

Booting up is much faster, though again that's true of every newly installed OS. We'll see how it works month from now

Waking up from a suspended state is a whole lot faster, and not related to the age of the OS. This works really well for me in cooking days.

This is not advertised, but it's notable. Prior to Win10, many websites would freeze Firefox until an error concerning a script would pop-up. It was then necessary to kill the script by clicking in "STOP SCRIPT." It got so bad I swore off several websites, including Popular Mechanics. Since the Win10 upgrade this hasn't happened once, not even in the Pop Mech site.
March 10th, 2016 at 7:47:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Tuesday the screen froze for a bit, then I got a notification the video controller crapped out but recovered.

Then yesterday the whole thing froze when trying to run a game, which also happened with Win7. I think the video card is defective.
March 22nd, 2016 at 1:49:52 PM permalink
Nareed
After two weeks, I've no strong desire to install Start10. Odd.

As to the rest, it's still running way faster than it did on Win7, but I have noticed some processes begin to slow down briefly now and then. Boot time is fast. Waking from suspended animation is crazy fast. Flash hasn't crashed yet.

I even found a use for apps. See, if you play Candy Crush Soda Saga on FB and run out of lives, you can switch to the Win10 app and keep playing there. I could always do that with the Android tablet, too, but here there's no need to switch devices. Next I'll see what other FB games can be played in a Win10 mobile app on the desktop PC.

I've yet to use Cortana. I fee no strong need to do so. Not even a weak need.

What I'd love to do is go back in time to the day before the first Win8 preview went public, and switch the code for Win10 ;)
March 22nd, 2016 at 3:56:49 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: Nareed
.... play Candy Crush Soda Saga...

Thanks for the reminder. I have a co-worker that is a few levels a head of me and I must catch up.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
March 22nd, 2016 at 5:41:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: miplet
Thanks for the reminder. I have a co-worker that is a few levels a head of me and I must catch up.

You can play the throne bonus game on weekends in the app as well.
March 24th, 2016 at 8:00:42 AM permalink
Nareed
I'm thinking about doing a reinstall of Win10.

It's running ok and everything is fine, but I got distracted during setup and the OS wound up installed in Spanish. It's not a big deal, but when looking for help or tips online, the info is more easily found in English. This means, all too often, that I have to guess how some terms were translated into Spanish in order to find them on my system. It would be a lot easier to have the system running in English to begin with.
May 20th, 2016 at 4:31:22 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Is this the bitch about computers thread?

SOMEONE NEEDS TO ANSWER FOR THIS!!

Remember how I asked about Win10, and had no interest, and said I'd still use '95, blah, blah, blah? And I asked why I would and someone said it's free now, might as well? Well, that didn't compel me. I was gonna ride Win7 until the wheels fall off.

THEY UPGRADED ME ANYWAYS.

No, they didn't just upgrade me. I was 4boxing Everquest, just joined a group. Was about to go grind when POOF, every window, every app, every program I had open shuffled off the screen like I just won spider solitaire, my PC shut down, and I had 2hr to just sit and watch while they piled Win10 into me. Nothing I could do but watch it happen.

What in all of the f#$%s is that nonsense about? Even now, I'm trying to upload and edit some GoPro stuff. NOPE! CAN'T! Not until everything's been upgraded and re-d/l'd...ugh.

I haven't been this pissed since buying my 8th Xbox thanks to the RRoD XO
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 20th, 2016 at 4:52:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Speaking of Windows 10, I'm using Windows 7 now and am always getting bothered to upgrade to Windows 10. Is Windows 10 closer to Windows 7 or 8 in the interface? It took me years to learn how to do things through the Start button in the lower left. With Windows 8 they took that away so I had a lot of learning to do from scratch. Did they bring it back with Windows 10?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 25 of 27« First<222324252627>