Windoze 8

Page 26 of 27« First<2324252627>
May 20th, 2016 at 5:42:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
Speaking of Windows 10, I'm using Windows 7 now and am always getting bothered to upgrade to Windows 10. Is Windows 10 closer to Windows 7 or 8 in the interface? It took me years to learn how to do things through the Start button in the lower left. With Windows 8 they took that away so I had a lot of learning to do from scratch. Did they bring it back with Windows 10?

Windows 10 has the start button. I didn't find it very hard to migrate from Vista to 10.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 20th, 2016 at 8:19:52 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Speaking of Windows 10, I'm using Windows 7 now and am always getting bothered to upgrade to Windows 10. Is Windows 10 closer to Windows 7 or 8 in the interface? It took me years to learn how to do things through the Start button in the lower left. With Windows 8 they took that away so I had a lot of learning to do from scratch. Did they bring it back with Windows 10?

I kept getting the same request. Kept ignoring. Then a few nights ago I was lying in bed and heard my laptop making quite a sound, whizzing around, working very hard. Had no idea what it was. Next morning I turned it on and there's Windows 10. Lol

Seems find so far. Easy enough to use although I'm not exactly doing anything complex on it so YMMV.
May 21st, 2016 at 5:58:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My desktop PC wasn't very good. It ha an i5 CPU, which is fast, but only 2 GB RAM, which is low. Also the video card is buggy as hell. It ran well at first on its native Win7, but soon it degraded as the hard drive and registry filled up.

A few months ago I upgraded it to Win10. Since then it runs better than when it was new. It has yet to degrade. if it does, Win10 can be "refreshed" to near-new state at any time.

As for use, I've yet to install Stardock's Start Menu replacement (Start10). And I do use the Start Menu a lot.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2016 at 7:01:10 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, in the recovery option in settings, or just type "recovery" in the search box, you can revert your system to Win7 if you don't like the upgrade. Alas, this is good only for a limited time, apparently. I checked my desktop PC and the option wasn't there. I've no desire to revert it, so that's ok. I didn't check my laptop, as that had Win8 and no one in their right mind would think that was an operating system.
May 24th, 2016 at 5:03:19 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I've had a few days of using Windows 10 now and definitely can't complain. It's easy enough to use for my purposes but the best part is that my 5 year old laptop seems to have increased speed markedly. Would any more knowledgable users know whether this is directly related to Windows 10 or simply a coincidence?
May 24th, 2016 at 6:29:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Aussie
Would any more knowledgable users know whether this is directly related to Windows 10 or simply a coincidence?

Yes.

Partly any new OS will run better right after installation. But also Win10 does run faster than previous versions of windows.

My desktop PC came with Win7. As usual it ran very well at first, then slowed down terribly. It took forever to boot, it would freeze now and then, etc. After upgrading to Win10 early March it was faster than ever. It has slowed down a bit since that peak, but it still runs a lot faster than it did with Win7, it hardly ever freezes, and it boots so fast that I make coffee before powering it on.

Best of all, there is an option in settings to refresh the OS. It won't return it to "as new" condition, but it should speed things up if/when the PC slows down.
June 2nd, 2016 at 7:50:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Someone asked me how to install Internet Explorer in Win10.

I have no clue. I had IE on my desktop PC and it was still there after the upgrade. It has tried to make Edge the default browser, though.

I told him to search for "download Internet Explorer" on Google and go on from there. Also that, as I understand it, IE won't be supported much longer, as Edge is the coming thing, though it's unavailable on versions earlier than Win10 (it might be available for Win8(.1)Update, but those won't exist for long).
June 24th, 2016 at 7:10:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Ah, I finally found a use for Google's voice recognition "Google Now" "feature."

It still feels incredibly silly to talk to a computer (cursing it is another matter entirely), but if you tap the microphone icon, a music note icon appears on the lower right corner. Tap that and it begins to "listen" for music. If a song is playing loud enough, the widget will identify it.
June 28th, 2016 at 1:36:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Thought you might be interested in this Nareed.

Quote:
.. a travel agent in Sausalito, California, claimed $10,000 from Microsoft after she took the company to court: an unauthorized update of her operating system to Windows 10 debilitated her computer, which at the time was operating on Windows 7. The complainant Teri Goldstein said that the forced update in August 2015 affected her business computer. It caused her travel agency to lose some $17,000, especially around the last quarter of the year, when the holiday season rolls in and bookings are at their peak. -

See more at: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/167308/20160628/woman-wins-10000-judgment-against-microsoft-over-unauthorized-windows-10-upgrade.htm#sthash.cgnlkAEJ.dpuf
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2016 at 6:54:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Thought you might be interested in this Nareed.

I saw it on the web yesterday but didn't read it.

I have heard of forced updates, but supposedly you can downgrade easily and within an hour or two. That's how come I upgraded the desktop fearing it would become a doorstop.
Page 26 of 27« First<2324252627>