Not impressed

Page 2 of 2<12
September 4th, 2016 at 8:08:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Spain was a great place for UK retirees... their pensions went very far in remote enclaves and they were pretty much left alone, but once Gypsies showed up in force and simply moved in with their caravans, horses, home invasions, etc. the Spanish police simply kept their distance and left the surrounded Brits to their own resources.

In Belize you can live like a king but must follow certain protocols. It doesn't matter who you hire but you must hire locals as maids, drivers, guards, managers, etc. Hire a guard and his cousin will show up as a sleep in maid... not necessarily in her own room.

Many expatriates love the life style but as they get older they often return to the USA.
September 5th, 2016 at 7:20:21 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Fifteen years ago, I knew a couple guys who had worked in Costa Rica, and they portrayed CR as an inexpensive paradise with great weather year-round. They really sold it, and I was looking for a change, so I bought a book and considered moving there. Turns out, Americans are welcome to retire there only IF they can prove at least a $1500/month income from elsewhere, like receiving rental income from back in the States. Americans cannot take any job there which could be done by a Costa Rican, which explains how my friends had been there so long (one taught schoolkids English as a second language, the other did page-layout for a publishing company back when Pagemaker was new on the market). You also cannot bring your car. Country's so small you can practically bicycle from Atlantic to Pacific anyway, and they have good public transport. No car needed. One of my friends stated theft was a real concern. Ricans just steal whatever they want with no qualms. He said if his kids ever left toys in the yard, they'd be gone within minutes. He also said as an American, he was assumed to be the richest one in the room everywhere he went.
September 5th, 2016 at 7:47:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
Fifteen years ago, I knew a couple guys who had worked in Costa Rica, and they portrayed CR as an inexpensive paradise with great weather year-round. They really sold it, and I was looking for a change, so I bought a book and considered moving there. Turns out, Americans are welcome to retire there only IF they can prove at least a $1500/month income from elsewhere, like receiving rental income from back in the States. Americans cannot take any job there which could be done by a Costa Rican, which explains how my friends had been there so long (one taught schoolkids English as a second language, the other did page-layout for a publishing company back when Pagemaker was new on the market). You also cannot bring your car. Country's so small you can practically bicycle from Atlantic to Pacific anyway, and they have good public transport. No car needed. One of my friends stated theft was a real concern. Ricans just steal whatever they want with no qualms. He said if his kids ever left toys in the yard, they'd be gone within minutes. He also said as an American, he was assumed to be the richest one in the room everywhere he went.

You probably have to accept that if you go to a "poor" country to retire cheap you are going to be looked at as a rich guy who can and will be bled at every turn.
The President is a fink.
September 5th, 2016 at 8:30:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: zippyboy
. He also said as an American, he was assumed to be the richest one in the room everywhere he went.

I would work on mastering the language and particular local inflections if I was going to somewhere to live for a long time, if that was a concern. Helps to blend in and or throw people off. If you sound local, you may not appear to be an easy mark.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2016 at 11:10:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The son of a friend went to Costa Rica and
ended up marrying a beautiful woman
from there. She was hell on wheels, it was
all about taking as much of his money as
possible, with her relatives getting in on
the action. It lasted about 2 years, when his
money ran out she went back and he never
saw her again. He somehow got the marriage
annulled. He says Costa Rica is a beautiful
place, it it wasn't for so many crooks who
live there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 2<12