No votes (0%)
7 votes (77.77%)
2 votes (22.22%)

9 members have voted

September 8th, 2016 at 1:22:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
But I accept that I'm in the minority on this. No one else gives a damn.

Everybody misses the old ways of doing things sometimes.

El Risitas, Apple Engineer Talks about the New 2015 Macbook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

A funny take on the new AirPods which replace the wired headphones.

Release date: October 2016
Price: $159
Form: In-ear
Use: iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac and Apple Watch (via iCloud account)
Connectivity: Wireless
Battery life: 5 hours listening time, 24 hours total listening time with charging case
September 8th, 2016 at 4:40:32 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I find these headphones bizarre. Not in how they work, I get that this is where technology is going, but in how they think the design is going to work? Surely it will be very easy for people to lose them? The ear pieces aren't joined together in any way are they? I would ask why not? At least of theyre connected then they become slightly more difficult to misplace. Do they come with any app to locate them when lost?
September 8th, 2016 at 6:30:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
I flew LAS>DTW today. During the flight, I was charging my iPhone 6 while watching a movie on it (with headphones). So I wouldn't be able to do this with an iPhone 7?

Of course you can. You just need to buy a $50 lightning dock with a headphone jack of its own.

Or buy some expensive wireless Bluetooth headphones/earphones you'll now need to charge as well.

Or, better yet, at least for the time being, buy an Android phone.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 8th, 2016 at 6:36:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't think that will fly. It's one thing to spend several hours in a room with your charger, it's another thing to have it plugged in at all times.

Ye of little faith.

Don't you realize what a coup this would be for the Apple, the Woz and the Holy Jobs?

computers have had batteries in them for a long, long time, even desktop PCs that don't work on battery had small ones to keep date and time going on a blackout. Apple could be the first to make a portable computer without a battery.

No one likes batteries anyway. Everyone complains about them, So let's just do without (or let's banish them to 3 meters away, which is essentially the same thing).

Besides, the Apple-branded iBackpack (or perhaps the iPowerPack) will also keep your obligatory iwatch and iearphones working at all itimes.

And, don't tell this to anyone, it's a secret, when the iCloudPower debuts for the moderate fee of an arm and a leg per month, you'll be able to keep your idevices irunning at select ilocations. (see terms and conditions on the website; additional ifees may apply).
September 8th, 2016 at 7:21:18 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Aussie
Surely it will be very easy for people to lose them?

I think it'd be even more frustrating to just lose one, but not both. Then you're stuck shelling out $159 for the one missing earpiece. Looking at the pictures, I get the sense that they are dedicated to either the left ear or right ear; i.e., they're not interchangeable between ears. (I could be wrong on this, though.)
September 8th, 2016 at 8:40:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Aussie
Surely it will be very easy for people to lose them?

You need to look at all the words in the image. Obviously this image is not taken from an Apple advertisement.

I picked up five sets of headphones at Walmart last week for $1 apiece. I figure I lose them all the time, or I don't have them in convenient places like a car or the basement. If I want to give one to someone else, people prefer to open them up new from a plastic bag.

Apple is creating a product universe, where there are no inexpensive accessories.
September 8th, 2016 at 9:02:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Apple is creating a product universe, where there are no inexpensive accessories.

"Inexpensive" is anathema to the church.

Why do they sell iphones with 16GB and no SD slot? So you'll buy the 32GB or 64GB iphone, at a markup that costs much more than the additional memory. It's also, IMO, a reason why they keep changing the proprietary port (not the only reason though). Didn't they buy a headphone factory recently? Now you know why the headphone jack went bye-bye.

BTW a coworker locked herself out of her iphone 4s (or something; the iphone 4 with Siri),and she can't restore it. To be fair this is in part because she never set up her own icloud account. But it feels a lot like Apple keeps ownership of the brick after you buy it.
September 8th, 2016 at 9:55:22 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: reno
I think it'd be even more frustrating to just lose one, but not both. Then you're stuck shelling out $159 for the one missing earpiece. Looking at the pictures, I get the sense that they are dedicated to either the left ear or right ear; i.e., they're not interchangeable between ears. (I could be wrong on this, though.)

Yes, but all the people doing that will be selling the not lost one on EBay. You will probably be able to get a pair very cheaply if you buy each one from a different person.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 8th, 2016 at 10:04:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
Yes, but all the people doing that will be selling the not lost one on EBay. You will probably be able to get a pair very cheaply if you buy each one from a different person.

I'll bet the wizards at Apple have already programmed them to only work with their sibling. Corporations are pretty careful about letting you assemble second hand stuff.

For example:
My cable company rents you "client boxes" that permit you to watch TV in other rooms by using a tuner from the primary DVR box. You can purchase these client boxes for the rental fee for specific number of months.

But the cable company won't let you electronically synch them to the primary unit, making the ones you get on e-bay expensive paperweights.
September 8th, 2016 at 11:02:16 AM permalink
Nareed
I'll bet the wizards at Apple have already programmed them to only work with their sibling.

That's devilish. Worthy of the Apple, the Woz, etc...

Of course, fi they hadn't thought about it, you've just given them the idea :)
Page 2 of 5<12345>