No votes (0%)
7 votes (77.77%)
2 votes (22.22%)

9 members have voted

September 8th, 2016 at 12:45:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
That's devilish. Worthy of the Apple, the Woz, etc...

Of course, if they hadn't thought about it, you've just given them the idea :)

The backlash seems to be particularly huge on this change. The argument seems to be that most changes in the past are tied to a significant improvement. Removing the headphone jack was a "solution" in search of a problem.

The original 1/4" jack was developed in 1878 for the telephone, and is the oldest electrical connection in existence. The 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug was actually invented in 1964, although it didn't become almost universal until the Walkman in 1979.

If Apple succeeds in strong-arming the public into saying goodbye to the venerable headphone jack, it won’t just be annoying you with a required USB headphone converter, it’ll be breaking a 138-year-old tradition of simplicity and elegance in a chinless shrug.

Another claim reverberating around the Internet is that the headphone jack levees a tax on a phone’s precious real estate that could be used for a larger battery. In actual size, an iPhone 6S battery takes up approximately 12 cubic centimeters. It’s hard to measure how little space the headphone jack takes up, but a rough estimate pegs it at 0.26 cubic centimeters. Allocating that space for more battery would allow for a 2% larger battery.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-would-spit-on-history-by-removing-the-headphone-jack-144700339.html

This Sony headphone for under $80 is on the top of lists for years.
September 8th, 2016 at 2:19:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The backlash seems to be particularly huge on this change. The argument seems to be that most changes in the past are tied to a significant improvement. Removing the headphone jack was a "solution" in search of a problem.

How many people have spent how much money on high-end, noise-cancelling headphones? These could be used in any phone for years, so they were not a bad investment. Now, suppose you just bought a pair and Apple commands you to buy a new one if you want the new phone? Apple users are notorious for being willing to spend money on apps and accessories, and for upgrading their phones quickly.

Removing the headphone jack is a solution in search for more money.

Remember "Planned Obsolescence"? That's what this feels like.

Quote:
The original 1/4" jack was developed in 1878 for the telephone, and is the oldest electrical connection in existence. The 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug was actually invented in 1964, although it didn't become almost universal until the Walkman in 1979.

I'm sure the current jacks are different from those in 1878, if for nothing other than stereo. That aside, some technologies don't need to be improved much or replaced.

On my Samsung, the headphone jack sticks out a bit on the back cover. Just slightly. But it's perhaps as wide as the phone is thick. So exchanging it for a flat USB port would allow for a thinner phone.

So unless Apple losses its proverbial shirt with this change, expect to reach an Android phone near you in the next two years.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 8th, 2016 at 3:48:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I'm sure the current jacks are different from those in 1878, if for nothing other than stereo. That aside, some technologies don't need to be improved much or replaced.

On my Samsung, the headphone jack sticks out a bit on the back cover. Just slightly. But it's perhaps as wide as the phone is thick. So exchanging it for a flat USB port would allow for a thinner phone.

1798 stereotype (n.) "method of printing from a plate," from French stéréotype (adj.) "printed by means of a solid plate of type,"
1850 stereotype (n.) "image perpetuated without change"
1922 stereotype (n.) "preconceived and oversimplified notion of characteristics typical of a person or group"

1838, stereoscope (n.) coined by inventor Sir Charles Wheatstone Instrument allowing binocular vision of two identical pictures that appear as a single image.
1927, stereophonic (n.), coined by Westinghouse for dual channel audio

Nowadays we assume stereo refers to audio, as stereoscope has largely been replaced with other words like holograph. I am not sure if it the same in Spanish.

Well, they added a ring for a second stereo channel.

So unless Apple losses its proverbial shirt with this change, expect to reach an Android phone near you in the next two years.

Well, as you say the true believers will worship at the temple anyway. But if enough people lose expensive earbuds, this could cause a backlash.

The subsidy programs in the USA tended to mask the true cost of phones. As most of those programs today have a line item charge for the equipment it is in your face more.

FOR EXAMPLE
My cable company repriced but they made four line items instead of one. Even though the price was dropped by $5.80, and the equipment is better, once there are line items you start to wonder if you can buy equipment for a better rate than it costs you to rent.

$127.89 50Mb/10Mb Internet Service ,Basic Cable Service, Signature Cable Service, Ultra Feature Package, Unlimited Nationwide Calling, TiVo Quad Whole Home Bundle, Docsis Cable Modem Rental

$99.99 50Mb/10Mb Internet Service, Basic Cable Service, Signature Cable Tv, Ultra Feature Package, Unlimited Nationwide Calling
$15.00 Whole Home T6 Powered by TiVo
$5.00 Mini
$2.00 Docsis Cable Modem Rental
-------
$121.99

I think the same thing happens with phones.

See when I look at this advertisement from Google for Nexus 6P phones, even with the interest free payment schedule, I would think do I really want to pay that much for a phone.

Elegant, all-metal design and a powerful 12.3 MP camera. Nexus 6P has a 5.7-inch cinematic display - housed in a body crafted from aeronautical-grade aluminum.
Storage Pay in full Pay over 24 months
32GB $499 $20.79/mo
64GB $549 $22.88/mo
128GB $649 $27.04/mo
Plus tax & shipping.

Now when the price was bundled with the service people were more insensitive to the price of the phone.
September 8th, 2016 at 4:35:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Nowadays we assume stereo refers to audio, as stereoscope has largely been replaced with other words like holograph. I am not sure if it the same in Spanish.

These days if you say "stereophonic," people will look at you as if you've just came over form Mars.

Remember Quadraphonic? I recall quadraphonic albums, but not a quadraphonic sound system to listen to them on.

Quote:
Well, they added a ring for a second stereo channel.

Yeah, I figured something like that.

Quote:
Well, as you say the true believers will worship at the temple anyway. But if enough people lose expensive earbuds, this could cause a backlash.

Not among the most faithful. And I suppose a "find my earphone" app will come out shortly. Though it must be turned on and with Bluetooth active...

Quote:
See when I look at this advertisement from Google for Nexus 6P phones, even with the interest free payment schedule, I would think do I really want to pay that much for a phone.

A couple of years ago I nearly paid 3,500 pesos for an unlocked MotoG phone, to use with my company phone line. Given I get the service without paying for it, that made more sense than buying a two-year plan, which would, BTW, have cost more over 24 months than 3,500 pesos.

Had Walmart not been sold out... Anyway, I got my mom's discarded iphone4 nothing for free. Later I got her Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for free (a much better phone than the iphone).

My aim is never to pay for a phone, knowing that eventually I'll have to.
September 8th, 2016 at 7:51:08 PM permalink
Nareed
I agree with this article, but i don't think Apple has reached a Windows 8 moment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-09-07/you-ll-miss-what-you-don-t-use-on-the-new-iphone
September 9th, 2016 at 8:16:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I agree with this article...

I agree with the article as well. One should always order extra Asian food, as you may find something new and wonderful. Just don't order Nattō (なっとう or 納豆?),with its powerful smell, strong flavor, and slimy texture. It is made from soybeans fermented with grass bacillus, found in soil and the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants and humans.. Some eat it as a breakfast food. It is served with soy sauce, karashi mustard and Japanese bunching onion.

I didn't realize that you can buy this $9 adapter that will allow you to use your expensive headphones (except when charging). That makes the loss of the 3.5 mm jack a little more tolerable. Apple will eventually do away with the lightning jack but probably not until at least iPhone 8.

September 9th, 2016 at 9:03:12 AM permalink
Nareed
I agree with the article as well. One should always order extra Asian food, as you may find something new and wonderful. Just don't order Natt¨­ (¤Ê¤Ã¤È¤¦ or ¼{¶¹?),with its powerful smell, strong flavor, and slimy texture. It is made from soybeans fermented with grass bacillus, found in soil and the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants and humans.

I probably wouldn't want to try something like that. But I can tell you the description and photo are less revolting than shrimp.

Quote:
I didn't realize that you can buy this $9 adapter that will allow you to use your expensive headphones (except when charging). That makes the loss of the 3.5 mm jack a little more tolerable.

I see it as less tolerable. First there's the reduced functionality, as in not being able to charge the phone while listening. Then there's the "privilege" of paying for something your last phone didn't even need, and which can easily be lost.

Quote:
Apple will eventually do away with the lightning jack but probably not until at least iPhone 8.

Of course. Once everyone buys church-approved lightning headphones for two arms and one and a half legs, Apple will change the port and render them useless without an adapter.

That might create backlash enough to cause a schism.
September 9th, 2016 at 9:27:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
for $40, Belkin has an adapter that will allow use of lightning headphones and a charger:
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/

It looks like it is basically a lightning splitter.

Combine that with the $9 lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Now all that space takes up way more space than the 3.5mm jack did when it was still inside the phone.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 15th, 2016 at 8:34:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
Now all that space takes up way more space than the 3.5mm jack did when it was still inside the phone.

It seems that they do include the adapter to allow you to plug a 3.5mm headphones into the Lightning Port. I mentioned earlier that the jack was $6.The article does mention Belkin's upcoming $40 adapter.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/177183/20160913/no-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-3-5mm-headphone-jack-is-apple-pr-nightmare-what-s-the-real-reason-it-was-removed.htm#sthash.EnkjpMhS.dpuf

Apple, announced it won't release first weekend sales figures for its iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus for the first time ever. Analysts speculate that there is no compelling reason to upgrade, and while some people don't care about the missing jack, the negative publicity still hurt sales.
September 15th, 2016 at 9:11:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Analysts speculate that there is no compelling reason to upgrade,

There are always three: 1) cracked screen, 2) lost phone, and 3) IT'S NEW!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I was amazed how quickly three different coworkers rushed to upgrade when the iphone 6 and 6 plus came out, even though they still had time on their then-current plans. To be fair, they did not upgrade the next year for the improved iphone 6 or whatever it was called. No idea whether they will this year.
Page 3 of 5<12345>