No votes (0%)
7 votes (77.77%)
2 votes (22.22%)

9 members have voted

September 15th, 2016 at 9:19:34 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
The problem is that phones are still possessed of thickness, as I've heard the story, and eliminating the generic jack lets the maker make the phone a bit thinner.

You'll notice that in our very unscientific poll of very small sample size, no has voted in favor of Apple's decision. For some reason, people seem to think that the headphone jack is more useful than an extremely thin phone.
September 15th, 2016 at 9:44:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
You'll notice that in our very unscientific poll of very small sample size, no has voted in favor of Apple's decision.

With so many atheist son the board, I expect blasphemy for all religions, not just Christianity :)

Quote:
For some reason, people seem to think that the headphone jack is more useful than an extremely thin phone.

I don't particularly want a thin phone. Hell, a 2mm increase in thickness nets you an extra 8 cubic mm for the battery, which means a bit more battery life. But a thinner phone is also a lighter phone. My Samsung phablet is lighter, and thinner, than my old iphone 4 with the tiny screen. Fine. I appreciate that. But I don't think I need, or want, a larger screen or a thinner phone. I'd trade that for the cheap headphone jack.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2016 at 12:07:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
My Samsung phablet is lighter, and thinner, than my old iphone 4 with the tiny screen. Fine. I appreciate that. But I don't think I need, or want, a larger screen or a thinner phone. I'd trade that for the cheap headphone jack.

Maybe getting rid of the headphone jack is just the first step in the virtual reality push;

or maybe Apple is going to burn up because of their own hubris.

I read that metal credit cards are a huge hit, precisely because they are heavier and make a little clunking sound when you throw them on the counter.
September 15th, 2016 at 12:33:36 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
Apple, announced it won't release first weekend sales figures for its iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus for the first time ever. Analysts speculate that there is no compelling reason to upgrade, and while some people don't care about the missing jack, the negative publicity still hurt sales.

Good.

I love my iPhone 6 Plus.

I have no desire to upgrade to an iPhone 7 over this exact issue.

I hope Apple suffers a little because of it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 15th, 2016 at 1:34:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Maybe getting rid of the headphone jack is just the first step in the virtual reality push;

I don't think we need people even more cut off from the world while walking around in it. This will be badly regulated, I'm afraid.

Quote:
I read that metal credit cards are a huge hit, precisely because they are heavier and make a little clunking sound when you throw them on the counter.

Apples and oranges. You don't hold a credit card for hours on end.
December 10th, 2016 at 12:46:27 PM permalink
reno
Hmm, that's peculiar. Apple's wireless earphones ("AirPods") still aren't for sale yet. (They were supposed to be on store shelves by late October!)

Quote: The Wall Street Journal
A person familiar with the development of the AirPod said the trouble appears to stem from Apple's effort to chart a new path for wireless headphones. In most other wireless headphones, only one earpiece receives a signal from the phone via wireless Bluetooth technology; it then transmits the signal to the other earpiece.

Apple has said AirPod earpieces each receive independent signals from an iPhone, Mac or other Apple device. But Apple must ensure that both earpieces receive audio at the same time to avoid distortion, the person familiar with their development said. That person said Apple also must resolve what happens when a user loses one of the earpieces or the battery dies.
December 10th, 2016 at 4:07:44 PM permalink
Nareed
The iphone 8 will come without a charging port.

When the battery runs out, you throw it away and buy a new one.
December 10th, 2016 at 9:58:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

They are pretty sure that the iphone 8 will have a wrap around OLED screen.

Kind of makes my phone look like a piece of cr@p.
December 15th, 2016 at 2:30:21 PM permalink
reno
Good news! Apple is finally shipping the AirPod. If you lose one of the two, a single replacement is $70. If you lose both, the cost to replace the entire pair is $160.

Because $70+$70=$160.
December 15th, 2016 at 3:44:59 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: reno
Because $70+$70=$160.
Maybe the $160 includes the charging case, which is $70 on its own...
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
Page 4 of 5<12345>