Proposition 64

Page 2 of 2<12
September 19th, 2016 at 2:09:19 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Face
Unless you have the touch of death, 6 plants is gonna yield a hell of a lot more than 1 ounce

Good point, that hadn't occurred to me. The 1 ounce rule refers to flowers (bud), not leaves or stems. But you're right, 6 plants can yield a substantial amount of flower. Here are the details:

Quote: NORML
Adults could cultivate up to six plants and possess the marijuana from these plants at their residence for personal use (Sec. 11362.1(3)). No more than six plants per residence. (N.B: this differs from the new limit for medical users under MMRSA, which allows 100 square feet of growing space per patient, with collective gardens of up to 5 patients). All plants and harvested marijuana in excess of one ounce must be (1) kept with the person’s private residence or on its grounds, (2) in a locked apace, and (3) not visible from a public place. (11362.2). Violations of (1) –(3) are punishable as infractions with a maximum $250 fine. Cities and counties may regulate and prohibit cultivation outdoors, but cannot completely prohibit cultivation inside a private residence or accessory structure that is “fully enclosed and secure.” (11362.2(b)).

The fact that this bill has so many tight restrictions (keep it locked up! keep it hidden!) just illustrates how squeamish & prudish we still are in 2016 about a harmless weed. (Most folks would be motivated by their own self-interest to keep it locked up & hidden. After all, it makes you paranoid.) But I think the thinking here is to protect the children from being tempted by the devil's weed.
September 19th, 2016 at 2:11:51 PM permalink
reno
Quote: Nareed
If it passes, it's going to make a lot of drug dealers very angry.

Not every grower is happy about this.
September 19th, 2016 at 2:57:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
Mississippi waited until 1966 to end Prohibition. I'm not joking.

I think drug prohibition has gone on longer than the 30-35 years it took them to end alcohol prohibition.

That's why I think it will take almost a century for restrictions on marijuana to go mostly away. There should still be plenty to keep it out of the reach of children and adults under 21.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 19th, 2016 at 3:51:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Oh, Aye. You assume these folks are benevolent and beneficent. Of course, if you believed that, you'd then be tasked with explaining tobacco, and on that, I wish you all of the luck =p

Or alcohol, or guns, or even cars. These all kill a lot more people every year than marijuana does. Guns and cars are used in crimes, too.

We know how alcohol prohibition played out in the US (quick digression: what if beer and wine hadn't been prohibited?), but what I'd like to know is what the illegal alcohol market is today in Muslim countries with similar prohibitions. I mean, alcohol isn't even hard to make from, literally. ingredients commonly found in every household.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 19th, 2016 at 4:45:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Not sure how huge it is. All the medical exemptions out in CA make it not that big a deal anymore. I do see two issues going forward. One is no matter the number of people favoring legalization, most people do not want to smell pot everywhere they go. I have heard this is starting to get to be an issue in CO. Other issue is people getting sick on the edibles. That I expect to sort itself out sooner or later.
The President is a fink.
September 19th, 2016 at 5:22:25 PM permalink
reno
Quote: AZDuffman
Not sure how huge it is. All the medical exemptions out in CA make it not that big a deal anymore.

The medical dispensaries are engaging in widespread fraud-- most of those "patients" have no medical ailment. Finally, there will be no need to lie, no need to engage in fraud with a sketchy "doctor" who advertises on billboards.

(The biggest fraud, of course, is that the federal government insists with a straight face, that marijuana (Schedule I Controlled Substance) is more dangerous for human consumption than methamphetamine (Schedule II), cocaine (Schedule II), or opium (Schedule II). Every 19 year old college kid knows this is a lie. It's embarrassing, actually.)

Other issue is people getting sick on the edibles.

I'm probably in the minority on this (within the pro-legalization crowd) but I have no problem with prohibitions on the commercial sale of edibles. I just don't think the government ought to restrict brownie baking for personal consumption within the privacy of one's own home. It's extremely easy to make brownies, this isn't rocket science. Nor is the production of brownies dangerous in the way that methamphetamine production is dangerous.
September 19th, 2016 at 6:43:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
The medical dispensaries are engaging in widespread fraud-- most of those "patients" have no medical ailment. Finally, there will be no need to lie, no need to engage in fraud with a sketchy "doctor" who advertises on billboards.

Just like medical booze during prohibition. I've said it before, I find the stuff a very bad idea. But people can go smoke and toke their brains out for all I care. I do prefer they keep it banned in public for the most part. Awful smell.

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority on this (within the pro-legalization crowd) but I have no problem with prohibitions on the commercial sale of edibles. I just don't think the government ought to restrict brownie baking for personal consumption within the privacy of one's own home. It's extremely easy to make brownies, this isn't rocket science. Nor is the production of brownies dangerous in the way that methamphetamine production is dangerous.

I kind of see a problem in that people will make edibles so strong it is possible to get into danger before you get really sick. Similar to alcohol poisoning. Hard to do with beer. Easier with whiskey. Very easy with grain punch. Given how the public does not trust low-doses of things, I can see newbies making things too strong thinking more is better. For every Walter there are several Todds.
The President is a fink.
September 19th, 2016 at 8:55:31 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
If it passes, it's going to make a lot of drug dealers very angry. Though perhaps they've already gone partway through a loss of market transition with medical marijuana...

Why? Half the dispensaries up here are run by people who were selling their products illegally three years ago.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 19th, 2016 at 10:14:17 PM permalink
reno
Just like medical booze during prohibition.

The similarities really are striking.

Charles R. Walgreen had 20 drugstores in 1919. Once Prohibition went into effect, business boomed. By 1929, there 525 Walgreens! The law permitted Mr. Walgreen to sell 1 pint of booze per customer once every 10 days, provided the customer had a prescription. (It's medicine, after all.) The doctor took his cut ($3), and Mr Walgreen took his cut ($3) and before you knew it, you'd spent $6, which is $82 in 2016 money. (For a pint.)

Walgreens sold beer & wine; but considering the cost, most patrons purchased a pint of whisky.
September 20th, 2016 at 6:56:05 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
So you can cultivate your 6 plants, but as soon as you harvest you're a felon? Unless you have the touch of death, 6 plants is gonna yield a hell of a lot more than 1 ounce =/

Here in Washington, you can have up to 16 plants I believe, and you can sell your surplus to the dispensaries. Not a bad deal a couple years ago, but now that prices have come down to $8/gram (including the 30% tax), and $5 pre-rolls, growers don't make enough money selling to dispensaries for $2/gram.

I have a neighbor who had an impressive grow-op pre-legalization, but has since given it up due to his disappearing customer base. Although his plants were huge and beautiful, he never knew what strain he was growing (he just kept cloning from his best plants), or its THC level (didn't want to pay to have it tested), or even if it was sativa or indica (because he didn't care, and didn't think his customers cared). That's like having a winery and not knowing the grape or alcohol content, and assuming your customers don't care either.

The recreational stores here have so much variety, and they're run by knowledgeable folks, and prices keep going down as the THC levels go up. I now have a dozen stores within a 30-minute drive, compared to a single store two years ago. I can't believe they all can make a living at it, but no stores have ever closed.
Page 2 of 2<12