Top 10 Cars According to Face

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
January 4th, 2013 at 7:16:00 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
So here's my Top Ten list, according to Me.

#9 - The Bugatti Veyron.
It's ugly, yes. At $3,000,000 for the Super Sport, it ain't cheap. With mpg of 8 city, 14 highway, and 3 at top speed, it ain't economical. But as an engineering experiment, it's sublime. I don't really like it, but as a car guy, I can't turn my nose up at 260mph+ and what they accomplished with this machine.

#8 - The Koenigsegg Agera.
0-60 in three seconds. An estimated top speed of 272mph. All out of a 5L V8? God love turbos =)

#7 - The Zonda R.
OK, so it's not exactly a road car. But if I could afford the price tag, gas and maintenance, I can afford a few equipment tickets. Of course, with 600bhp and a weight of 1,250kg, they'd have to catch me first ;) Like the ones above, it ain't very practical, but who cares. Everyone needs a little cartoonism in their life.

#6 - The Ferrari 288 GTO.
The 288 was produced as a Group B racer, just in time for the Group B to be discontinued. It's 2.9L V8 was just small enough to be legal, and pumped out enough power to get 'er just below 200mph. Only 200 were made, rocketing the $80,000 initial cost up to a price of $1,000,000 today. But hell, it's a Ferrari. Totally worth it.

#5 - The Ferrari F40.
This is what a car is supposed to be. Even with a 470hp, 2.9L V8, and one of the first road cars to exceed 200mph, there was no ABS, no power steering, no traction control. Just a lightweight body, big ass brakes, big ass power, and a stripped out interior to house one badass driver. This car was the first to make me ask one question - 470hp out of a 2.9L? What the hell are the Americans doing wrong?! $1.600,000 if you want one.

#4 - The Ariel Atom V8
This car is just stupid. Take the most minimal frame you can fabricate, weld together two of the most powerful superbike engines you can find, blend, and boogie. 0-60 in 2.3 seconds On the track, there's not a car that can touch it, and all for the low, low price of $50,000. Ugly? Pfft, how can you tell from way back there? =)

#3 - The Caterham R500
See above. A tiny motor kicking out only 260hp, but 0-60 in 2.88 seconds. On the track, it'll dust a Veyron, and you can buy it on a year's salary. Hell, you can even call for a kit and build the whole thing in your own garage. As far as supercar performance goes, this is probably our best chance.

#2 - '68 Camaro
Bought new, you could grab one for $4,000. Today, a good Z28 runs $40,000. A Yenko with the 427cu in engine is pushing $325,000. It's one of the simplest, strongest body styles out there; you just know one when you see one. And when you see one, you can't help but nod in approval.

#1 - '71 Cuda
Don't say anything. Just look at it. Let your eyes run down it's curves, following the fender as it hugs the rear wheels. Let your eyes catch the gill slits as you look to the gashes in the grille. Feel your vision roll over the hood scoops and fall over the fenders. Mouth watering yet? Mine is. I can almost smell the cracked vinyl. New in '71, you could've had this for $3,000. The 427 Hemi engine was a $1,200 option! If you want a '71 Hemi Cuda today, you're talking $80,000 for just the frame/body. You ain't touching a complete car for less than $300,000 for a WIP, $500,000 for a top notch piece, or, if you want a super-rare convertible a la Nash Bridges, $2,000,000. My Kingdom for a time machine.

No #10 you say? That's only 9, you lament? Just wait. Even though I'm cynical, even though I'm old school, I'm keeping the faith. I'm saving the last spot for what's coming out in the future. Fingers crossed for flying DeLorean with Mr Fusion option! =D
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 4th, 2013 at 7:35:19 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
The hemis were 426es. Great list. Mine would have some other choices, but there is nothing here that is arguable.
January 4th, 2013 at 9:27:42 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I remember the Top Gear episode a few years ago where they drove the Veyron on the VW track in Germany. I had Tivoed it and watched it over and over. Pretty damn exciting. At top speed of 253mph, car runs out of gas in 12 minutes. Tires only last 15 minutes.

January 5th, 2013 at 6:27:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
What, no AMC Matador?

Not a bad list, a little more "supercar" than I am into. Glad to see a Mopar at the top. As to #2 I just found out a guy my dad worked with worked at Yenko! I didn't even know the place was local to me. The good old days when a dealer could really affect things, not like today where they just sell the same, generic stuff.

A word on the Hemi, for most people the 440 is the better choice. Unless you are a good mechanic the Hemi is hard to keep running properly, and even when it does the 440 is better when you drive <100 MPH. People knew this in the 1960s which is why the Hemi is so much rarer.
The President is a fink.
January 5th, 2013 at 12:10:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: zippyboy
I remember the Top Gear episode a few years ago where they drove the Veyron on the VW track in Germany. I had Tivoed it and watched it over and over. Pretty damn exciting. At top speed of 253mph, car runs out of gas in 12 minutes. Tires only last 15 minutes.

That track is more interesting watching than Bonneville speed runs, because you can reference something more than mile markers. But then, any loss of control and you're in extra trouble there too. Of course a car flip on the flat surface is usually enough to destroy a car at that speed without any help from other objects.

Face, would you see a deer at that speed? : )

heh
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2013 at 2:11:47 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Mosca
The hemis were 426es. Great list. Mine would have some other choices, but there is nothing here that is arguable.

So picky ;)

Of course there's other choices. Like....? =)

Quote: zippyboy

Saw that, too. Very impressive when they get into all the numbers behind it.
January 5th, 2013 at 2:23:53 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
What, no AMC Matador?

Lol, serious? I wasn't a fan. I seen some AMX and Pacer's with ridiculously large engines pumped in them, but even still, they were more of a curiosity than anything.

Remember the Eagle? That weird stationwagon looking thing, but lifted and with 4wd? I just saw one last week, bugged me out o.O

Count me as one who prefers a 440. I'm not one for a hyper rare trailer queen. I'd take a 340 with not a single number matching, because I plan to drive the hell out of it ;)

Quote: rxwine
That track is more interesting watching than Bonneville speed runs, because you can reference something more than mile markers. But then, any loss of control and you're in extra trouble there too. Of course a car flip on the flat surface is usually enough to destroy a car at that speed without any help from other objects.

I'd watch. I agree that Bonneville is kind of boring. Even driving it, I can't imagine getting all that excited.

Quote: rxwine
Face, would you see a deer at that speed? : )

I highly doubt it. In my daily commute, I almost never look at the road. I'm constantly scanning back and forth, often seeing silhouettes of deer in a field by the moonlight. Performance driving is another matter entirely. My eyes never leave the road, always looking for a pothole or a dusty spot, or looking for the apex of a corner. Thinking back to my 170mph run down I-86, about all I remember was the howling from the intake as it sucked air through the ducts, and the scream of the engine. Visually, I have almost no memory of it. If a deer ran out, I wouldn't see it until it was dead in front of me. And I wouldn't be here today.
January 5th, 2013 at 4:29:55 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Not a bad list, a little more "supercar" than I am into.

I agree. So here we go! =)

Top 5 Cars That I'll Ever Be Able To Afford On My Modest Salary.

#5 - 90s Subaru Legacy.
This was, hands down, the best car I've ever owned. Back then I was into rally cross, and had my own point to point circuit made up of back country roads, state land, and old gas lines. I beat the absolute dog crap out of this car, and it only ever begged for more. Other than shock and exhaust damage from launching it, it never had a single, solitary problem. You can pick one up today for less than $5,000.

#4 - 70s Datsun 240Z
Even stock, I think these things are sharp. If you don't like it, there are an infinite number of ways to tweak it to your desires. Body kits, turbo kits, engine swaps, you name it. Anything you can think of to do to a car, you can do to a 240Z, and it's damn hard to make one look bad. Want a cheap, RWD, 500hp car? With a V12? And a turbo? OK, all you need is less than $10,000. =D

#3 - '67-'72 Datsun 510
What can I say? I love old cars, old racers, and the BTTC. Old Datsuns are just cheap, fun cars. Keep 'em stock for a kid's first car, or tweak 'em to death for your own track ripper. Start at $2,000 for a solid piece and go-fast-part your way to as far as you want to go.

#2 - '77 Trans Am
Get $30,000, grow a boss moustache, get yourself a cowboy hat and the tightest jeans you can find, crank up some Jerry Reed, and just love where you are right now. Eastbound and down. Or get a denim jacket, put on your REO Speedwagon concert shirt, and pretend you're 30 again. Who cares? Just be "that guy" ;) You gotta have fun in life, amiright?

#1 - '72-'74 Cuda
C'mon, you didn't think I was going to change my mind, did ya? If you get away from the most desired '71 model, away from the Hemi, away from convertables, and away from the numbers game, you can still get this fine piece of American manufacturing at a reasonable price. Hot rodders are not impervious to the financial crunch, and there's been a few $80,000, rotisserie restored Cudas going for half that. My Sheriff buddy just picked up a '73 last year. Saw a car under a cover in an open barn and stopped to inquire. A woman's husband died and there the car sat, collecting dust. Completely stripped, all the parts accounted for, and only needed a reassembly. Got it for wholesale. $30-$40k will nab you a quality driver, and that's exactly what I intend to do =)
January 5th, 2013 at 4:47:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Lol, serious? I wasn't a fan. I seen some AMX and Pacer's with ridiculously large engines pumped in them, but even still, they were more of a curiosity than anything.

Asking if I am serious? Are you serious there? lol

Quote:
Remember the Eagle? That weird stationwagon looking thing, but lifted and with 4wd? I just saw one last week, bugged me out o.O

I remember the Eagle, kind of liked them. AMC Spirit with 4WD. Thing about the Eagle is it was a crossover 25 years before the term was invented. It was the Subaru Outback of its day. Even today it would be a very right-sized vehicle with a lot of utility.

Quote:
Count me as one who prefers a 440. I'm not one for a hyper rare trailer queen. I'd take a 340 with not a single number matching, because I plan to drive the hell out of it ;)

I knew a guy was going to try to wedge a 440 "conversion hemi" into a Demon. Even after we told him he was putting 19+ months income into just the engine. Guy who was selling it to him somehow ripped him off, and some other people from what I heard. My buddy was a moron. He refused to believe a Duster was the same car as a Demon, somehow a Duster was an "old ladies car" but the Demon was different. No amount of reasoning would get him to change his mind. No amount of showing him how many part numbers were the same on both cars. Later he could not get the car to pass state inspection, because he was too lazy to even try. But he tore it down to the unibody-frame to "restore" it. When friends stopped coming to help after the fun work was done (pulling engines is fun, grinding rust no fun) work slowed then stopped. I moved away and never saw him again, I heard he sold it to someone.
The President is a fink.
January 5th, 2013 at 7:22:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm going with the 68 Dodge Super Bee with a 440.
I knew a guy that had one and it was so fast it made
you cry. How these cars even existed as street vehicles
seems like a dream now.

The local county cops drove 68 Dodge Coronets, which
was the same body as a Super Bee. Some of them had
Dodge 440 Police Interceptor engines that made the
cops invincible. They were race cars with bubble lights.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 71234>Last »