Top 10 Cars According to Face

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
January 5th, 2013 at 11:39:17 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
I'm going with the 68 Dodge Super Bee with a 440.

A high school friend has one. 440. Plum Crazy paint. I went with him to pick it up when we were 17, just a messy shell, really. He was one of those types, the one who had a job at 16, never quit it, always worked, spent everyday in his "shop". That car is badass now, re-did the whole thing himself between the ages of 16 and 20. Still has it, refuses to sell it. Bastard just picked up a 'Cuda, too. If he wasn't a friend, I'd hate his guts lol.

Quote: EvenBob
The local county cops drove 68 Dodge Coronets...

You ever just marvel at the cars when watching old TV shows? You look at a modern Impala or Charger police interceptor, or an older Caprice, and it's just a turd. Back then, cops were driving classic hot rods, something we'd kill for today.

I wonder if anyone back then could conceive of what those old cars would become? I wonder if we'll ever experience it again, and if we'd even know it's happening.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 6th, 2013 at 5:28:40 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Face

You ever just marvel at the cars when watching old TV shows? You look at a modern Impala or Charger police interceptor, or an older Caprice, and it's just a turd. Back then, cops were driving classic hot rods, something we'd kill for today.

I wonder if anyone back then could conceive of what those old cars would become? I wonder if we'll ever experience it again, and if we'd even know it's happening.

The interesting thing is how amazing average cars of today are. A 2007 V6 Nissan Altima does 0-60 in 5.7 and a quarter mile in 14.2. A '65 GTO did 0-60 in 7.0 and the quarter in 15.8.

Of course one makes your blood boil and the other holds four adults in comfort and gets 22 mpg, so there's that.
January 7th, 2013 at 9:51:38 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Mosca
The interesting thing is how amazing average cars of today are. A 2007 V6 Nissan Altima does 0-60 in 5.7 and a quarter mile in 14.2. A '65 GTO did 0-60 in 7.0 and the quarter in 15.8.

Of course one makes your blood boil and the other holds four adults in comfort and gets 22 mpg, so there's that.

haha, with the A/C going full blast, even!
January 7th, 2013 at 10:24:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Times change. How many songs written about Chevys, Fords, and especially Cadillacs.

How may songs about Accords and Camrys?
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2013 at 11:48:25 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
Times change. How many songs written about Chevys, Fords, and especially Cadillacs.

How may songs about Accords and Camrys?

Agreed... More songs now about cellphones. Graduated driver's licensing requirements have changed our culture. Teens don't see getting their license as the milestone it used to be.

I would put an early 50's Ford pick-up on my "real" list. You can get this:photo from classic-car-history.com

And make this with just a bit of paint, some chrome, and a lift kit:

Photo from rod and custom magazine.com

Check out the grill on that bad boy!
January 7th, 2013 at 12:21:49 PM permalink
Mosca
Here are my top 10. Not in any order. If I had these cars, I would be happy:

1) Some sort of boat from the early '60s. Preferably GM, but the Chryslers are cool, too. I love these things. Just picking one at random, because I'd take any of them, how about a '63 Bonneville convertible:

2) Volvo P1800. These cars are really beautiful, and there are performance upgrades available today that will make them world class.

3) V8 Miata. I get 10 spots on my list, so I don't think this is a stretch. I just want to watch folks' faces when I start it up.

4) Lamborghini Miura. I won't be able to get in or out of this car... doesn't keep me from wanting it. Actually, a Ford GT, a Miura, a Lotus Esprit... anything like that, low and lean.

5) BMW 5 series, for a daily driver. Since it's a wish list, I'll wish for an M5. (I know, it's an M series not a 5 series. In real life I'd pick something else, like a Nissan Maxima.)

6) Nissan GTR. What an incredible mass-produced automobile. That's all I can say.

7) Gotta have a truck... which one? I guess this one: 1950 Chevy with modern frame and 350 crate motor:

8) My favorite Corvettes are the C-2s. This C2 fuelie would fit in nicely:

9) 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe. Any full sized SUV these days is a pretty good truck. I like the way controls feel on the Chevys. If you picked a different one, I can understand.

10) Remember how we started? I'm going to finish the same way. 1962 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron:

January 7th, 2013 at 8:53:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Here are my top 10. Not in any order. If I had these cars, I would be happy:

1) Some sort of boat from the early '60s.

It's a damn shame the demo derby guys are so keen on these. Maybe not a classic, but I see tons of boats being tore all to hell every year.

3) V8 Miata. I get 10 spots on my list, so I don't think this is a stretch. I just want to watch folks' faces when I start it up.

Same. Nothing better than seeing a tuner, but hearing that thumping thunder =) Hard part is finding one that's done right. 98% of "modders" have no idea what they're doing.

6) Nissan GTR. What an incredible mass-produced automobile. That's all I can say.

The technical achievments of this car are out of control. This thing is in the top echelon of supercar performance, all in a 4 seat, sub $100k package. You can drive it to the track, race it, take it to dinner, then drive it home, all without the typical supercar harshness. To get a car that performs as good or better on the track, you're talking many hundred of thousands if not millions of dollars. Crazy good.

8) My favorite Corvettes are the C-2s. This C2 fuelie would fit in nicely:

There's something about all Corvettes, bar none, that just irks me. That said, the 427 Stingray is beast, and probably the only one I'd consider owning. Base price? $4,000. If only...

Thanks, Mosca. This is fun =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 8th, 2013 at 8:37:13 AM permalink
Mosca
I had a hard time hitting 10. Not because I couldn't find 10, but because I like so many different cars. And not exotic or antique cars: there are lots of normal cars that are just really cool and fun.

You know what cars are cool? Fiats. The 500 Abarth. I wouldn't want to have to make payments on one, but it would be fun to take one out on a Sunday morning through some twisty back roads. (And as far as me not wanting to make payments, some folks did. The 2012s cost $22,700 and sold out in 6 weeks. That is a hell of a lot of bang for the buck.)

Cadillac CTS-V. I guess I wouldn't call this normal. The CTS is kind of normal, but the -V is special. GM's engineers are some of the finest in the world; it is not for lack of brain power that most of their cars are lousy.

Hyundai Veloster turbo. Another freakin' crazy car from a boring company. Actually Hyundai are making some excellent average cars. The Sonatas are well made, good looking, reliable, and inexpensive to buy and maintain.

January 8th, 2013 at 10:39:44 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13

My 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk. It's teh awesomest!
January 8th, 2013 at 3:23:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

10) Remember how we started? I'm going to finish the same way. 1962 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron:

When I first went to Calif in 1975, my mom's husband
had a 62 Imperial he let me drive. It was a monster and
rode like you were on clouds. Push button tranny, red
leather interior, you were always doing 60 whether you
wanted to or not. A 62 in 1975 was considered really
old, but in Calif half the cars you saw on the road were
60's and still quite a few from the 50's. So the 62 fit
right in. I drove it down Highway 1 like a moron and about
died half a dozen times, high cliffs and no guard rails.
Took me a month to recover.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »