Top 10 Cars According to Face

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
January 13th, 2013 at 11:50:44 AM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
The Stewey pic just about sums it up for me too, the 959 is cartoonish for sure by appearence, junk in your trunk seems an understatement. But I admire its engineering, and vote "in spite of it".
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
January 14th, 2013 at 5:16:44 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: 98Clubs
But I admire its engineering, and vote "in spite of it".

I'd have to agree, despite how much I really don't like this car. See? I can be objective =)

iluvdisco's comments in the Wizardmobile thread got me thinking - Is there anyone who actually prefers an automatic gearbox over a manual?

I understand auto's have come a long way since 1980, and are every bit as reliable and efficient as a manual nowadays. But unless you like to shave, eat breakfast, read the paper, or play the trumpet while driving, do you actually like them better?

I hate them myself. For one, it's boring just pressing the right pedal. Proper shifting, even at a leisurely pace, is fun. If you start to get sporty, a manual is the only choice. Just tromping the pedal is boring, whether you have a V-Tech Civic or 750hp Lingenfelter Corvette. Nailing a butter-smooth upshift on a jackrabbit start is joyful; pulling off a perfect heel-toe on the downshift is heaven, even if just slowing for a stop sign. Performance exhaust sounds nice, but on the weird RPM swings on an auto, it just sounds, well, weird.

Then there's the practicical. As someone who spends a good deal of time in adverse conditions, I cannot stand an auto shifting on me. If I approach a snowy hill with speed in a manual, I can maintain the speed necessary to climb the hill just fine. The added torque going to the rear wheels is completely at my command. If in 4th gear, I know increased torque is completely relative to the position of my right foot, and can accelerate without issue. In an auto, you build too much pressure and the damn thing downshifts, giving you a boot full of unexpected torque and breaking the rear end free. I just want to maintain my speed, and this damn thing thinks I'm trying to uproot a house. Towing's no different; I just want to make a hill without slowing, and BRRRRAAAAAMMM! it downshifts into 2nd, screaming my costly gas out the pipes for no reason.

Then there's practical 2.0. If I leave my radio on too long at the crick, all I'll ever need to start it is 2mph of rolling speed. Pop the clutch and I'm good to go. If my starter goes, it's never a SOL situation. I drove my '94 Beretta for almost 2 years without a starter, and all it took was some mildly creative parking.

I wish manuals weren't so hard to find. I just feel so much more attentive and in tune when driving one. Anyone else feel the same?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 14th, 2013 at 5:40:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Is there anyone who actually prefers an automatic gearbox over a manual?

Yes, I do. I owned one manual in my lifetime, I didn't buy a manual, I bought a "deal." Hated the clutch, hated idiots who are on your bumper when you are on a hill. Hated when I hurt my foot pushing for the clutch that was not there when I switched to my dad's antique convertible for a Memorial Day Parade.

Never again, unless I get a deal like before. Push the gas and go. Call me a MAWG who has lost the excitemet of driving all you like, doesn't matter to me.
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2013 at 7:17:48 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
It depends on why I'm driving. If I'm just going somewhere, then I prefer the.automatic. If I'm out driving for pleasure, I prefer the manual. Yes, I own a car for each specific purpose.
January 14th, 2013 at 7:39:45 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Never again, unless I get a deal like before. Push the gas and go. Call me a MAWG who has lost the excitemet of driving all you like, doesn't matter to me.

I wasn't going to call you anything, and if I did, it would've been purely in fun. This is car talk, we're not politarding it up in here =)

Just curious, do you or have you ever driven for enjoyment of performance? Or do you even enjoy driving? If you told me you actually do all the time and love it, then you'll have me very curious indeed. I suspect most pro-auto guys are A-B, "it's transportation" types. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Every time I see a Vette or Mustang or whatever and it's only got 2 pedals, I just wonder "WTF?"
January 14th, 2013 at 7:54:26 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
For city and town driving, I much prefer automatic, but as soon as I'm in control of my speed and direction, and not the surrounding traffic and traffic lights, I much prefer manual. The semi-automatics I've driven are kinda of a compromise I'd go for.

I enjoy driving in general, not so much when it's dark, wet and everyone seems to have their high beams on....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 14th, 2013 at 9:23:06 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
For city and town driving, I much prefer automatic, but as soon as I'm in control of my speed and direction, and not the surrounding traffic and traffic lights, I much prefer manual. The semi-automatics I've driven are kinda of a compromise I'd go for.

I enjoy driving in general, not so much when it's dark, wet and everyone seems to have their high beams on....

My mom has one of those odd semi-autos in her Mazda 6. I can't really figure out the point of it. I'm at such a loss for explaining it, I don't even know how to go about listing pros and cons.

Ever drove a CVT? It's a tranny like a snowmobile, it never shifts. My ex-wife had one in a Sentra a few years back. Punch it and it just whines and goes. I suppose they're good because it's basically got an infinite number of gear ratios, allowing your engine to remain either in optimal effeciency or prime performance range at all times, but it's just weird.

Gridlock, like exiting a staduim, is the only time I don't like a manual. After I broke my hand, I actually had to trade bikes with my old man in a jam because I just couldn't feather the clutch anymore (I was on his Harley Superglide, I hopped back on my Gixxer). But other than when at idle speed for 1hr+ (ie. almost never), I'd always take a manual.
January 15th, 2013 at 5:08:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I wasn't going to call you anything, and if I did, it would've been purely in fun. This is car talk, we're not politarding it up in here =)

Just curious, do you or have you ever driven for enjoyment of performance? Or do you even enjoy driving? If you told me you actually do all the time and love it, then you'll have me very curious indeed. I suspect most pro-auto guys are A-B, "it's transportation" types. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Every time I see a Vette or Mustang or whatever and it's only got 2 pedals, I just wonder "WTF?"

I know it would have been in fun if at all, just my writing style.

Yes I do and have driven for fun but not as much for performance. While I did push my then-new Hyundai to 105 in the NM desert and would love to try the autobahn I have never been the type who wants to do all the hard cornering and autocross stuff. My idea of fun is to leisurely cruise in a comfy convertible on a nice day or evening. That or a road trip to a new place.

Part of what killed some if the thrill for me as driving a lot and I mean a lot for a job I grew to hate. 800 mes a week in a Corsica not so much fun. Nor sitting in traffic riding a clutch.

Most people do not know how to drive a manual these says. I was 32 when I drove my first for one short trip in the country. Two weeks later my boss informed me I would be in charge of a fleet of 15 trucks with manuals so I learned to drive one fast (I knew the theory just not the practice.). Sorry but I would rather put it in "D" and steer.
The President is a fink.
January 15th, 2013 at 6:31:31 AM permalink
ewjones
Threads: 6
What about high performance bikes? A friend of mine bought a Hayabusa. Took it on the highway with some friends and what normally takes an hour twenty to drive at the speed limit..they did in 28 minutes..and that's just cause of the occasional slowing down to weave between semis..
January 15th, 2013 at 9:45:22 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: ewjones
What about high performance bikes? A friend of mine bought a Hayabusa. Took it on the highway with some friends and what normally takes an hour twenty to drive at the speed limit..they did in 28 minutes..and that's just cause of the occasional slowing down to weave between semis..

Time for "Motorbikes with Face"?
Page 4 of 7<1234567>