uh uh uh uh, and pauses. This does
not make you a good candidate for
TV or radio.

All successful media people have one
thing in common, they have something
to say and can say it all day long off
the cuff. Obama will fail miserably, I
can hardly wait.

Maybe he will do an Algore and after failing sell the works to a Muslim extremist group?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 6th, 2016 at 4:06:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 648
Estimated peak net worth of presidents since 1932 (inflation adjusted to 2016 dollars)

Franklin D. Roosevelt $66 million
Harry S. Truman < $1 million
Dwight Eisenhower $9 million
John F. Kennedy $100 million
Lyndon B. Johnson $108 million
Richard Nixon $17 million
Gerald Ford $8 million
Jimmy Carter $8 million
Ronald Reagan $14 million
George H. W. Bush $26 million
Bill Clinton $75 million
George W. Bush $39 million
Barack Obama $8 million

I think Barack is going to make as much or money as Bill Clinton. But I think that he wants to have a public source of income. I think just collecting that much money from private speaking engagements is something that he doesn't want on his record.

It's strange that pauper Bill Clinton is now worth more than presidents with fabled inherited money like the Bushes and FDR. Harry Truman is probably our last middle class POTUS.

Michelle may have a political career, and although Barack is only 6.5 years younger than John G. Roberts, Jr., i still think that Barack is hoping to have a turn as Chief Justice of the United States
December 6th, 2016 at 5:10:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 301
Quote: Pacomartin
Michelle may have a political career, and although Barack is only 6.5 years younger than John G. Roberts, Jr., i still think that Barack is hoping to have a turn as Chief Justice of the United States

Has any president in the last 100 years held an elective or appointed post after serving his term(s) as president? I can't think of one, save for honorary or temporary advisory roles, or as special diplomatic envoy.

What surprises me is LBJ ended up with that much money...

On other things, I think it's too bad we don't see cross-party cabinet appointments. Bush the elder had a really good foreign policy team. Seeing how Bill Clinton was worse than lost on foreign policy, perhaps he should have retained it.

I thought of that at the time. In hindsight, though, it's remarkable what a good job H.W. Bush did on foreign policy. He had to deal with the breakup of the USSR and its client states, and then the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. While he was criticized by many for not having removed Saddam, and though he fumbled badly in calling for a coup (ultimately getting civilians to rebel), the limited objective of liberating Kuwait and keeping the region from becoming unstable, was very successful.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
December 6th, 2016 at 6:37:54 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
" What surprises me is LBJ ended up with that much money..."

Don't know how true it is, but I heard it was because during the depression, his dad bought most of the farms around Johnson City for pennies. I do know that in 1965, I was driving a car, littered with beer bottles, 3 other airmen with me, suddenly this two lane road was blacktopped, shiny, freshly painted stripes, new reflectors on signs, etc. It was just a few miles outside downtown Johnson City.
Reason I believed the story about the depression was we had ran thru town a few minutes before and a big banner hung over the road.
" Welcome to Johnson City. Home of America's finest peaches and Lyndon B Johnson."
Too dumb to figure out we were passing LBJ ranch, I turned around in what must have been a driveway a couple of miles from the actual house. Guy in a suit did pop out of the hedges, always wondered if he was Secret Service, and how much time 4 drunken airman would have got !
March 9th, 2017 at 2:12:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Ivanka and Jared's new home in Washington DC is only 70-80 yards away from the Obama's new home. He'll probably be jogging around the neighborhood.

Obama's home is on Belmont, and Ivanka's home is on corner of Tracy Place and Kalorama Rd.
March 9th, 2017 at 2:39:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Ivanka and Jared's new home in Washington DC is only 70-80 yards away from the Obama's new home.

Oh, but I doubt they'll depress local home values much.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
March 9th, 2017 at 4:28:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Oh, but I doubt they'll depress local home values much.

The really nice residence in the neighborhood is the French ambassador's home at 2221 Kalorama Rd NW, Washington, DC is (20,015 sq ft 19 bedrooms and 12 bathrooms). The Zestimate for this house is $33.55 million.
March 9th, 2017 at 4:44:39 PM permalink
Nareed
The Zestimate for this house is $33.55 million.

Damn government housing for immigrants! :)
April 3rd, 2017 at 8:51:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
2449 Tracy Pl NW, Washington, DC 20008 (6 beds 7 baths 6,870 sqft ) SOLD: $5,500,000 Sold on 01/04/17

So this Chilean magnate buys a house for $5.5 million 16 days before inauguration and rents it to Jared and Ivanka. Rent seems more than fair at 3.27% of purchase price. But still it seems insane that a Chilean magnate would go into the home rental business.

Minimum rental rates should be One Percent.

Quote: Wall Street Journal
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner’s Rent in Washington: $15,000 a Month
Owner is a Chilean magnate who bought house for $5.5 million
By MARK MAREMONT and JAMES V. GRIMALDI
April 3, 2017 11:43 a.m. ET
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s daughter and her White House adviser husband, are paying $15,000 a month to rent their new home in Washington’s fashionable Kalorama neighborhood from its billionaire owner, according to newly filed documents.

The documents, filed by the landlord with the District of Columbia housing department, present the first concrete financial information about the rental agreement...
April 4th, 2017 at 3:16:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 95
But still it seems insane that a Chilean magnate would go into the home rental business.

Lots of foreign money has poured into the USA real estate market the past two decades.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 3 of 4<1234>