Police Shootings -- A Solution

Page 2 of 3<123>
October 5th, 2016 at 6:59:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
I have the solution to the Police shootings problem:

1) Don't run.

2) Comply with the officer's instructions.

3) Don't be black.

Seriously, there is a very big problem that won't be solved easily.

But one thing to keep in mind is this: police are trained to deal with the public, or should be, while the public isn't trained to deal with police.

Being stopped by police is stressful and intimidating. Now add drawn weapons, and things are frightening. You cannot expect people to stay calm and rational under such circumstances. In this case the onus is squarely on the authorities.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 5th, 2016 at 8:57:55 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
3) Don't be black.

Seriously, there is a very big problem that won't be solved easily.

But one thing to keep in mind is this: police are trained to deal with the public, or should be, while the public isn't trained to deal with police.

Being stopped by police is stressful and intimidating. Now add drawn weapons, and things are frightening. You cannot expect people to stay calm and rational under such circumstances. In this case the onus is squarely on the authorities.

I don't agree. The onus is on schools to teach civics. Recognizing and responding appropriately to authorities is part of that curriculum. The problem can be significantly reduced by simply following the two steps (and hoping it isn't "Quick Draw" Barney Fife you are dealing with).
October 5th, 2016 at 9:13:50 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: terapined
If it was a white female nurse out there, no way the cop takes the shot
A good cop would have walked up with gun holstered and ask WTF is going on
White female lives matter to cops

Pure speculation. Same as assuming walking up holstered would not have resulted in a dead cop. (The original call was about a man with a gun acting erratically). Remember that the cop's story was that he wasn't aiming at the guy with his hands up.

How about this cop
Guy is in his own driveway
He sees a cop driving slowly around so he start videotaping
A lot of cops hate citizens just videotaping. Some like this cop will actually draw a weapon.
Draw a weapon for simply videotaping then harassing
To many Barney Fife's out there

2) Comply with instructions.... no one got shot.

How about this. After the chase is over...

1) Don't Run. If the guy didn't initiate the chase by running, the kid might still be alive. Sad.
October 5th, 2016 at 10:10:35 AM permalink
Nareed
I don't agree.

Then you're wrong. It's like making people responsible for their rescue in a fire, or their evacuation in an airplane. Would you be ok with the cabin crew sliding off the nearest exit and leaving the passengers behind to fend for themselves?

Would you have no trouble, no misgivings, if you were told to get out of your car and go down on your knees with your hands on your head, without being told why or being given any explanation, by at least two cops with weapons drawn?

Quote:
The onus is on schools to teach civics. Recognizing and responding appropriately to authorities is part of that curriculum.

Do you see nothing wrong with that statement? When did the bulk of the population become criminal suspects?
October 5th, 2016 at 11:01:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't agree. The onus is on schools to teach civics. Recognizing and responding appropriately to authorities is part of that curriculum..

Cops hate being videotaped
yet every court in the USA says its legal to videotape a cop
Go on youtube
tons of videos showing cops telling citizens not to videotape, its illegal
I was going to post one but was shocked at the number on youtube.
In many situations, its the police that need a civics lesson on the legality of videotaping police :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 5th, 2016 at 11:18:10 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Then you're wrong. It's like making people responsible for their rescue in a fire, or their evacuation in an airplane. Would you be ok with the cabin crew sliding off the nearest exit and leaving the passengers behind to fend for themselves?

Don't see that connection. A better example of civilian responsibility would be, "Are you okay with protestors smashing the windows of businesses they pass by then looting them?" How do people know this behavior is not okay?

Another example, you are out for a drive when you notice a fire truck closing on you from behind with lights flashing and sirens blaring. According to your statement, the stress of this approaching emergency vehicle justifies you weaving, accelerating and running red lights.

Would you have no trouble, no misgivings, if you were told to get out of your car and go down on your knees with your hands on your head, without being told why or being given any explanation, by at least two cops with weapons drawn?

I have been in that very situation (actually face down on the pavement, instead of on my knees). I have no trouble complying... especially since their weapons were drawn.

Do you see nothing wrong with that statement? When did the bulk of the population become criminal suspects?

Don't run. Comply with instructions. The bulk of the population are not criminal suspects. However, if the police are conducting an investigation, we should cooperate, even if that is an inconvenience to us personally. This may include being detained or searched. I don't think that is unreasonable. Is it okay for you to skip the x-ray and metal detector at the airport because you know you are innocent?
October 5th, 2016 at 11:56:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Don't see that connection. A better example of civilian responsibility would be, "Are you okay with protestors smashing the windows of businesses they pass by then looting them?" How do people know this behavior is not okay?

Are you ok with police executing the people smashing windows?

Quote:
Another example, you are out for a drive when you notice a fire truck closing on you from behind with lights flashing and sirens blaring. According to your statement, the stress of this approaching emergency vehicle justifies you weaving, accelerating and running red lights.

I've run red lights a few times to let an ambulance pass me. I think I was justified.

That aside, emergency vehicles rarely kill people, even if they don't get out of the way.

Quote:
However, if the police are conducting an investigation, we should cooperate, even if that is an inconvenience to us personally. This may include being detained or searched. I don't think that is unreasonable.

It's completely unreasonable. Last I checked, the Fourth Amendment was still current. Overall, I think refusing a request for a search is a better idea on principle. And if you're ok with detaining people without cause, you should think again.
October 5th, 2016 at 11:30:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
anti-gun argument.

In the USA where it's so easy to obtain a gun, of course the police suspect almost anyone of having a gun. They're always nervous.

So get rid of most of the guns and they won't be so trigger happy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 6th, 2016 at 5:48:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
anti-gun argument.

In the USA where it's so easy to obtain a gun, of course the police suspect almost anyone of having a gun. They're always nervous.

So get rid of most of the guns and they won't be so trigger happy.

Sounds like the USSR or North Korea. Where the police were always benevolent.
The President is a fink.
October 6th, 2016 at 10:13:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Woman walks her dog in the neighborhood
Wife thinks its a clown and gets scared
A clown? WTF
Husband gets his AR-15 and fires to scare the woman walking her dog
WTF

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article105638946.html
Man fires his AR-15 to scare clown, but ‘clown’ was woman walking her dog
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 3<123>