Police Shootings -- A Solution

Page 3 of 3<123
October 6th, 2016 at 10:32:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba

I don't think it's that complicated.

The roots of the problem are inconvenient.

Minorities and especially blacks in the USA from birth get fed a steady diet of the are being discriminated against. By adulthood, many are not able to understand the difference between bad customer service and outright discrimination. At work not able to understand when they are not performing to standard and discriminated against. I have seen it happen. Sometimes because they just cannot tell and sometimes because if they yell (and I have seen it yelled literally) that they are "being discriminated against" someone may listen or they may catch a break to avoid the hassle.

Then you throw in a media and popular culture where if a black complains against a white the white is assumed to be in the wrong. Did the media look at the entirety of the Rodney King arrest or just a few seconds of video tape? When there was a charge of racial profiling on the NJ Turnpike did anyone wonder aloud if blacks were speeding more than whites? If a non-black had a black pinned to the ground and was beating the hell out of him would the media come to his defense if he used deadly force?

We could go on all day. But the point is at some point you get fed enough of this and you believe no matter what, "the pigs are hasslin you for no reason!" So you get varying forms of resistance from passive-aggressive to outright hostile.
The President is a fink.
October 6th, 2016 at 11:39:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Back in my cab days, if my customer was
white I breathed a sigh of relief. If it was
a black male, I was tense for the whole
trip. Not because of what I'd been taught,
it was personal experience, first hand on
the job experience. All the problems I'd
had were with black males. They argue,
they want a deal, they get out and run
away when you've taken them a few
miles, they threaten you, they mock
you. Certainly not all of them, but enough
of them to be wary.

I totally understand why cops profile, it's
self preservation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2016 at 12:04:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
The roots of the problem are inconvenient.

Minorities and especially blacks in the USA from birth get fed a steady diet of the are being discriminated against. By adulthood, many are not able to understand the difference between bad customer service and outright discrimination. At work not able to understand when they are not performing to standard and discriminated against. .

That may be your experience but not mine
I have worked with a lot of blacks
They work hard and know the difference between bad customer service and outright discrimination
Quote: AZDuffman

Then you throw in a media and popular culture where if a black complains against a white the white is assumed to be in the wrong. .

Huh???
Below just everybody is taking the white guys side, even blacks :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 6th, 2016 at 12:51:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
That may be your experience but not mine
I have worked with a lot of blacks
They work hard and know the difference between bad customer service and outright discrimination

You might need to look with a more open mind. I am going to guess you never have seen a black pull the stunt of saying someone is doing something just because they are black. I do not see how someone can reach age 30 without seeing this more than once. But of course your history is basing everything you know on a few people you know and not looking at the larger picture. So not much use in discussing it further.

Quote:
Huh???
Below just everybody is taking the white guys side, even blacks :-)

As usual you think that finding one exception to something general disproves the generality. Sorry, but I cannot even give you a "nice try" here.
The President is a fink.
October 6th, 2016 at 6:31:08 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anarchists and Rewilders all seem to wear dreadlocks. Girls sailing from the East Coast to Europe often have dreadlocks by the time their sailboat arrives. Its become a tradition for some reason.

On--edit: Are all Rewilders going to be challenged for their dreadlocks? Are teen-aged sailor girls going to have to grab their fish knives to filet some unknown defender of an imagined cultural icon?

On further edit: Consider Norway. The police are equipped with pistols but must not carry them, they are locked in a safe inside the police car. Latest year's shooting statistics: One shot fired as a warning, two shots fired at a suspect. Total for entire year: three shots fired by their 'armed' police force.

Then there is New Zealand. All police have weapons training but all firearms are kept at the major police stations only. None are routinely issued.
Page 3 of 3<123