Scary Clowns - Inevitable

October 7th, 2016 at 4:07:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've always been somewhat fascinated by fear of clowns, Coulrophobia, since I can distinctly remember being scared by certain things when I was little that other, older kids were not bothered by.

I think it wasn't clowns because our family's resources - nor those of our near neighbors - weren't going to allow clowns to show up at birthday parties. I can picture what would have happened if they had - some kids are just too young to 'get it' when it comes to the big, boogerish creeps.

The recent developments are inevitable; and I'm sorry, but I find it amusing [except for possible cases of people intending real harm]. In the future, will clowns only be thought of as something scary at Halloween?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=scary+clowns&oq=scary+clowns&gs_l=news-cc.1.0.43j0l10j43i53.724.2681.0.4497.8.8.0.0.0.0.1205.5391.3-1j0j1j1j3.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.A6-EK5I_QjE
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 7th, 2016 at 9:30:50 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
I've always been somewhat fascinated by fear of clowns, Coulrophobia, since I can distinctly remember being scared by certain things when I was little that other, older kids were not bothered by.

I think it wasn't clowns because our family's resources - nor those of our near neighbors - weren't going to allow clowns to show up at birthday parties. I can picture what would have happened if they had - some kids are just too young to 'get it' when it comes to the big, boogerish creeps.

The recent developments are inevitable; and I'm sorry, but I find it amusing [except for possible cases of people intending real harm]. In the future, will clowns only be thought of as something scary at Halloween?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=scary+clowns&oq=scary+clowns&gs_l=news-cc.1.0.43j0l10j43i53.724.2681.0.4497.8.8.0.0.0.0.1205.5391.3-1j0j1j1j3.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.A6-EK5I_QjE

Clowns haven't been "cool" since the middle of the last century. Jesters have a long history going back to the middle ages, and clown characters have been, and continue to be, a staple of traveling circuses (including Cirque type shows). There's even a "Clown College". The early age of television had shows that included characters and hosts in clown make-up (remember "Clarabell", "Emmet Kelly", and "Bozo"?).

But those days have been over for a long time. As the baby boomers aged, their children were raised with "educational" and "career oriented" toys instead of things seen as "silly" or "fun". It is no wonder traditional clowns were discarded, and today are demonized. as "Psycho" or "Killer".

Of course, John Wayne Gacey didn't help their cause.
October 7th, 2016 at 10:26:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
One of my all time favorite songs
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Tears of a Clown
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 7th, 2016 at 12:25:55 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
Of course, John Wayne Gacey didn't help their cause.
Wow, was unaware of the Gacy connection. It is the kind of stuff these creeps do though. Access to children.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 8th, 2016 at 11:28:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2016 at 10:32:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If attacked by a bunch of clowns, go for the juggler.
October 9th, 2016 at 7:58:06 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Ayecarumba

Jesters have a long history going back to the middle ages, and clown characters have been, and continue to be, a staple of traveling circuses (including Cirque type shows).

My father belongs to a group called the Jesters. It is some sort Masonic Group for people that have matriculated through very high levels of Shriners.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 9th, 2016 at 10:38:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: DRich
My father belongs to a group called the Jesters. It is some sort Masonic Group for people that have matriculated through very high levels of Shriners.

There's a Jester's club that has a long history in the New Orleans Mardi Gras. I wonder if it is the same organization?
October 10th, 2016 at 12:02:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Has anybody here but me read Stephen King's
book 'It'? Scariest book he ever wrote, I won't
read it again, it's that scary. It's about a clown.
They made a movie in the 90's, they're making
another one. Like the cover says, King, in one
book, releases everything you were ever afraid
of. It's a masterpiece of scaring the shit out of
you.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.