Would Seinfeld have left TV as a minor hit if Ted Danson had not tried to be a movie star?

Page 2 of 2<12
October 14th, 2016 at 1:38:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
After Ted Danson announced that he was leaving the series, NBC wanted to continue the series by having Woody take over the bar. But Woody Harrelson refused to continue with the series without Danson.

But then Woody wouldn't have been elected to some office or other...

On the other hand, I can imagine Woody either doing a 180 and becoming a hard-ass boss and entrepreneur, perhaps even getting Karla to behave, or he'd lose the bar to debt in short order (I mean, imagine the size of Norm's tab alone).

By then, though, I expect the regular cast had made two piles of money each (Danson three piles), and were likely tired of doing the same characters. I can dare to say other actors were probably offered the chance to continue playing their character in another series, like Kelsey Grammer wound up doing. It's hard to say whether any would have succeeded (too bad they couldn't pair Cliff with Alex Trebek in a sitcom).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 14th, 2016 at 1:56:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Back on main topic, "Seinfeld" had an odd narrative structure, not lovable characters, a unique look (how many sitcoms shoot outdoor scenes? Ok, "How I Met Your Mother."), and was "daring" in portraying sexually-related situations (the contest, the shrinkage, the beard, etc. In a rather early ep, Jerry's brain and penis hold a chess match; I'm not making this up!). Also the amount of different sets boggles the mind, though that took some time. Count them one day. Better yet, compare them to another high-grossing, popular, earlier sitcom like Cheers or Three's Company.

Looking back, you wonder how it succeeded at all.

BTW, the continuity of the show also boggles the mind.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 14th, 2016 at 2:16:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Also the amount of different sets boggles the mind,.

Compare to Everybody Loves Raymond,
which had two sets, for the most part.
It shows it's the writing, not the sets,
that makes a hit show.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2016 at 10:48:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I liked the Frasier spinoff way better than
Cheers.

That is blasphemy!! Your punishment is kneel on rice for 30 minutes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 2 of 2<12