Vacation ideas when you hate what most people like

Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »
October 17th, 2016 at 3:33:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
A worthy reason for a trip. Just don't fall into the common migrant thinking that the new place will be roses and honey, just like back home but 'better'. It's never like back home, and the culture will be different.... it just might suit you better, of course, but it will never really be the same as where you came from.

Had to learn that one myself when I became an immigrant to Canada.

Oh, I saw the same thing in AZ. It was fun, but it was different. First weeks even going to the grocery store is an adventure, then you become lonely. Then you have to make a go of it. Weird thing out there were there were no corner bars to hang at and the grocery stores were 20 years behind the times where I left. Being broke made it all the worse. OTOH, it was the adventure of a lifetime and gives me a hundred great stories.

I doubt I move there. Won't go while my mother is alive, and she may outlive me. But I always wonder about expat communities. It was good enough for Hemingway.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2016 at 4:00:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I live in the same city where there's a
presidential museum, and I've never
gone. That's how adventuress I am.
My wife has been there 3-4 times
and says it's wonderful. Most New
Yorkers have never been to the top
of the Empire Estate Building and
most Parisians have never been to
the Eiffel Tower.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 17th, 2016 at 4:16:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
the Eiffel Tower.

Luckily I've been to lots of things in my town. The museum here is so good that when the family went to DC we skipped the Smithsonian natural history museum since our local dinosaur exhibit might be topped bur will not be blown away. All that steel money 100+ years back really set things up. I've actually used the incline for transportation and not a sightseeing ride. On my dealing gigs I have seen the first Jeep and other wild things. Driven the first "highway" in the USA, which sounds better than it is. A few weeks ago I walked by the "birthplace" of Czechoslovakia. History amazes me.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2016 at 7:51:41 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Luckily I've been to lots of things in my town. The museum here is so good that when the family went to DC we skipped the Smithsonian natural history museum since our local dinosaur exhibit might be topped bur will not be blown away. All that steel money 100+ years back really set things up. I've actually used the incline for transportation and not a sightseeing ride. On my dealing gigs I have seen the first Jeep and other wild things. Driven the first "highway" in the USA, which sounds better than it is. A few weeks ago I walked by the "birthplace" of Czechoslovakia. History amazes me.

I go play tourist in my home town every year. It's good to see the schlock and the good stuff that the tourists see.

Which also helps me with my side (becoming main) gig of putting events on.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 18th, 2016 at 3:12:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit

Which also helps me with my side (becoming main) gig of putting events on.

Don't underestimate that. From just my dealing I get to see how hard events are to do and how many people screw them up so badly! While looking at the vacations my mind did its usual racing and thought of how if a couple could get together they could live nice putting singles vacations together. Doesn't even need to be a "couple" but just a friendly female and a good-at-details guy. Go to Belize, Costa Rica, etc. Get 50-100 singles to show up. Host mixer events. Scrape $200-250 profit off of each of them. Get the resort to RFB comp you for filling the place up. Do this 6-8 times a year. BOOM!
The President is a fink.
October 18th, 2016 at 6:42:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I knew a guy who after college but prior to law school managed four upscale, but rather small, tropical resorts. It was profitable but it was not easy. Of course this was decades ago and pre internet so things have surely changed. Keeping "Island People" in a work mood can be hard and one resort owner had two large native trees near the main entrance hacked down by persons unknown as a "labor=management" tactic. Most of the growth in affinity group marketing has been in small to medium employee associations, authors and their followers, etc.

Just look at how profitable Holy Ship is ... I'd love to have the earplug concession on it. Or the more sedate pirate and booze cruise or the yacht/feast cruises on small sailboats.

Read some of Face's postings on his catamaran rental and see how cheap is to get a yacht rented out profitably.

Don't forget the OFF SEASON potential for resorts as retreats such as ski resorts in summer bringing in local artists, writers, chefs, etc.
November 27th, 2016 at 2:48:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I am starting to look at of all places, Iceland. Seeing a few things I like and prices are not all that crazy.

1. Anyone been there or have any advice?

2. Anyone know anything about WOW airlines? Seem to be some kind of discount airline but have good prices, though the kind that charge extra if you use the O2 mask in a crash, etc.
The President is a fink.
November 27th, 2016 at 3:17:06 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
I am starting to look at of all places, Iceland. Seeing a few things I like and prices are not all that crazy.

1. Anyone been there or have any advice?

2. Anyone know anything about WOW airlines? Seem to be some kind of discount airline but have good prices, though the kind that charge extra if you use the O2 mask in a crash, etc.

You'd like it; it's over 99% white.
November 27th, 2016 at 3:20:03 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Evenbob
the Eiffel Tower.

You are (or aren't) an adventuress? I guess we have to start calling you EvenBobbie.
November 27th, 2016 at 3:28:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Facebook Couch Surfing Reykefik Iceland Friday Pub Crawls.
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »