Textual analysis of Old Testament

Page 7 of 9« First<456789>
October 30th, 2016 at 4:54:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But as far as I know there wasn't a deep seated animosity between the groups.

No clue. I also don't know of many contemporary Jewish sources at the time.

I do know the one Roman province where Christianity made very little headway was Judea. There weren't even many churches built. The most famous one, surely you know which it is, was at first built in the 4th Century where Constantine's mother was told Jesus was buried. The larger church built around that came later.

Anyway, this suggests Christianity did not do well at all in its birthplace. To this day it hasn't. Had it been a branch of Judaism, the theologies would be closer.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2016 at 5:15:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
Christianity and Judaism are very similar.

Yeah, right.

Look, I was raised Jewish, and even took an interest in the thing for a bit (trying, and failing, to make sense of it). I figured all religions were pretty much the same. When I learned about Christianity, it was as though Christians were aliens from a bizarro planet far, far away.

Take this talk about sin. It's as Celsus, the Roman critic put it, the Christians are like frogs sitting around a small pond croaking about sin. I just don't recall anyone mentioning sin but rarely, even in the somber, and exceedingly boring, so-called high holidays which are supposed to be about begging Jehovah for forgiveness.

BTW, if your intent is to tempt me with similarities, rest assured I have only half of a neutrino's mass more respect for Judaism than for Christianity, and then only for Reform and a few branches of Conservative (ie Liberal) Judaism. And that's only because the Hebrews so seldom had any real power, they weren't able to mess much up with their religion.
October 30th, 2016 at 5:36:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Christianity and Judaism are very similar.
r.

Your example is a real stretch. The only
similarity I can find is you, the Jews and
Islam all share the same god, Yahweh.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 30th, 2016 at 5:38:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
There weren't even many churches built. The most famous one, surely you know which it is, was at first built in the 4th Century where Constantine's mother was told Jesus was buried. The larger church built around that came later.

You are talking about Church of the Holy Sepulchre. A very significant church, but one of about 50 churches in the Old City. Here is a partial list.

1 Church of the Holy Sepulchre Center of the Christian Quarter
2 The Coptic Patriarchy and the St. Antonius Church The Ninth Station Established in 1236, when a Coptic Archbishop was appointed in Jerusalem.
3 St. Helena Church - Coptic The Ninth Station Near the ninth station and the Coptic Patriarchy, named for Constantine's mother, discoverer of the holy cross.
4 The Greek Orthodox Patriarchy and the Church of St. Constantine and Helena Greek Catholic Patriarchate Street
5 The Church of Mar Jacob – Arab Greek Orthodox Square of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
6 St. John's Church - Armenian Square of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher John was the Baptist.
7 St. Abraham's Monastery – Greek Orthodox Square of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher Located at the South-East corner of the square.
8 Gethsemane Church and Monastery – Greek Orthodox Square of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher Near the Umar Mosque.
9 Alexander Nevsky Church - Russian Opposite the Northern entrance to the Church of the Redeemer Established during the end of the 19th cen.
10 Church of the Redeemer – Lutheran Protestant Northern edge of Moristan St. The church was built in 1893-1897 on the ruins of the church of Santa Maria
11 St. Haralambos Church and Monastery – Greek Orthodox Via Dolorosa / Alhanka St., next to the Eighth Station
12 Ethiopian Patriarchy Deir Al Habash St. The Ethiopian Church trace the origins of their faith to King Solomon and Queen Sheba.
13 Dom Polski – Polish Catholic Monastery Albatiah Aqbat St. The name means: Polish Home.
14 Espainoli Church - Catholic
15 Spyridon Monastery - Greek Orthodox Center of Jabsha St., near the Northern Wall St.
16 Unification (Alliance) Church Evangelical - Protestant Apostles St. A small, independent church which numbers about 150 believers in Israel.
17 St. Avtimius Church and Monastery – Greek Orthodox Saida St., near the junction of Apostles St. Avtimius,
18 Saidnaya (Saida) Church and Monastery – Greek Orthodox Saida St.
19 St. Catharine Monastery – Greek Orthodox Hush Siksik / Apostles St. Catharine
20 Michael (Archangel) Church and Monastery – Greek Orthodox St. Francis St. Dedicated to the Archangel Michael who accompanies souls.

BTW, if your intent is to tempt me with similarities, rest assured I have only half of a neutrino's mass more respect from Judaism than for Christianity,

I thought you practiced the ceremonies (like Passover) as part of your heritage.
October 30th, 2016 at 5:55:08 PM permalink
Nareed
You are talking about Church of the Holy Sepulchre. A very significant church, but one of about 50 churches in the Old City. Here is a partial list.

just remembered the one. Of course there ought to be others, but I don't recall seeing them.

By your list, I'd say they were built in the Dark Ages, around the time of the crusades, when Christians briefly held Jerusalem.

Quote:
I thought you practiced the ceremonies (like Passover) as part of your heritage.

Only when I can't get out of them. And then all I do is eat. I don't sing, I don't say prayers, I don't do the four cups of wine or any other of the nonsense rituals. My main concern is when it's a proper time to leave.

I go to my mom's new year's lunch because 1) the food is good and the deserts tend to be amazing, and 2) because I can get out of the office early.

In the past ten years, I've stepped inside a temple exactly four times, and that's four times too many. But social and family obligations and all that. I haven't uttered a prayer in over 30 years.
October 30th, 2016 at 11:18:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
By your list, I'd say they were built in the Dark Ages, around the time of the crusades, when Christians briefly held Jerusalem.

Many were built then. There was a rash of building of churches in the 19th century as well (often over medieval ruins). I don't think any church was built in the Old City in the 20th century.

The Battle for Jerusalem occurred from December 1947 to 18 July 1948, when Jewish and Arab population of Mandatory Palestine and later Israeli and Jordanian armies fought for the control of the city.The Jewish quarter was completely sacked by Arab forces during the Battle and ancient synagogues were destroyed.
October 31st, 2016 at 7:10:54 AM permalink
Nareed
In 589, in Catholic Iberia, the Third Council of Toledo ordered that children born of marriage between Jews and Catholic be baptized by force. By the Twelfth Council of Toledo (681) a policy of forced conversion of all Jews was initiated . Thousands fled, and thousands of others converted to Roman Catholicism.

Thousands of other pretended to be converted. many of their descendants are still pretending to this day, though it would be safe enough to stop.

Christian tolerance knows no tolerance.
October 31st, 2016 at 9:34:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Thousands of other pretended to be converted. many of their descendants are still pretending to this day, though it would be safe enough to stop.

This article from five years ago implies that this priest still strongly identifies with Judaism despite ascending high within the Vatican Court

Israeli Jew Turned Catholic Priest Named Head of Papal Court
David Maria Jaeger, a native of downtown Tel Aviv who converted to Catholicism, will become a prelate auditors of the Roman Rota, one of the chief papal law courts of the Catholic church. Tomer Zarchin Jun 03, 2011 6:15 AM
http://www.haaretz.com/israeli-jew-turned-catholic-priest-named-head-of-papal-court-1.365615

Jaeger stated "I'm just like any Israeli citizen who works for an international organization situated outside the country - just like there are Israelis at the International Monetary Fund in Washington, the UN in New York or UNESCO in Paris. I am in a supra-national international body, that's the only the difference."
October 31st, 2016 at 9:37:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Many were built then. There was a rash of building of churches in the 19th century as well (often over medieval ruins). I don't think any church was built in the Old City in the 20th century.

Yeah, I see you put in some dates. I went too fast through it at first.

Still, that's even longer after Jesus died. Christians had Jerusalem until the 7th Century or so, then regained it briefly during the Crusades, then hadn't held it until the British mandate bye the League of nations from the end of WWI and until 1948. IN between it's belonged to various caliphates, the Ottoman empire, and now Israel.

I do know lots of Christians live in both parts of the city. My aunt, I remember, got pork from Lebanese Christian shops. But it's not a Christian city at all.
October 31st, 2016 at 9:42:40 AM permalink
Nareed
This article from five years ago implies that this priest still strongly identifies with Judaism despite ascending high within the Vatican Court

Teenage rebellion taken too far? :)
Page 7 of 9« First<456789>