Textual analysis of Old Testament

Page 8 of 9« First<56789>
October 31st, 2016 at 10:22:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I do know lots of Christians live in both parts of the city. My aunt, I remember, got pork from Lebanese Christian shops. But it's not a Christian city at all.

As I understand less than 5% of Jerusalem residents live in the Old City. So you should indicate if you mean Jerusalem or Jerusalem's Old City.

Jerusalem was surprisingly small backwater for much of it's history considering it's religious significance. Wikipedia says it was still under 8000 people in the mid 19th century. As I understand it the Ottoman's were very interested in keeping the Jews confined to the Old city because it meant rents were arbitrarily kept high because demand far exceeding supply.

Merely mentioning politically sensitive topics, I know that many Jews and Christians dispute the Muslim claim that it a holy Islamic city as well. They believe Mohammed never visited Jerusalem and that al-Isra or "the night journey" was him recounting a dream. I am not trying to draw Islamic ire to the forum, I just mention it as an alternative view which is expanded on in many other sources.

http://answering-islam.org/Gilchrist/Vol1/3d.html
October 31st, 2016 at 11:06:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Merely mentioning politically sensitive topics, I know that many Jews and Christians dispute the Muslim claim that it a holy Islamic city as well.

Like who the hell cares, right?

"We'll buy new land and call it sacred. Who's going to tell us it's not? No one, that's who." The Martian leader in Futurama, more or less.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2016 at 2:55:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Like who the hell cares, right?

I don't want to be responsible for Mike fighting off a jihad.

"We'll buy new land and call it sacred. Who's going to tell us it's not? No one, that's who." The Martian leader in Futurama, more or less.

https://hd-serials.tv/futurama/season-04/episode-06 Time 20:32 (In russian)
Singing Wind: You are free to go. Sorry about all the rustling and kidnapping.
Turanga Leela: But what about your sacred land?
Singing Wind: Land, schmand. We don't wanna live on this planet. It's a dump. We buy new planet and act like it's sacred. With cash like this, who's going to argue? Nobody, that's who.
October 31st, 2016 at 3:23:07 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't want to be responsible for Mike fighting off a jihad.

That's thoughtful.
But my meaning was "who cares about a piece of dirt where something may or may not have happened; and even if it happened, chances are it didn't happen the way people believe?"

Quote:
Singing Wind: Land, schmand. We don't wanna live on this planet. It's a dump. We buy new planet and act like it's sacred. With cash like this, who's going to argue? Nobody, that's who.

That one!
October 31st, 2016 at 3:48:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
But my meaning was "who cares about a piece of dirt where something may or may not have happened; and even if it happened, chances are it didn't happen the way people believe?"

I understood what you mean, given your world view. But you might as well say who cares if a the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published 12 editorial cartoons on 30 September 2005 featuring a religious founder. Most people don't care, but some people care very deeply.
October 31st, 2016 at 4:16:09 PM permalink
Nareed
I understood what you mean, given your world view. But you might as well say who cares if a the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published 12 editorial cartoons on 30 September 2005 featuring a religious founder. Most people don't care, but some people care very deeply.

I get that.

Wouldn't it be great if no one cared?

Take the church where Jesus is not buried. I can understand, intellectually, a feeling of awe at an old, old church built where they didn't bury Jesus. Sure. but that's a building. Whether or not it was built on the cave where events from the NT allegedly happened is immaterial. If there were no church built around it, but it were a mere spot of dirt with a plaque attesting to the effect, what could anyone possibly feel? Awe? At a spot of dirt?
October 31st, 2016 at 5:28:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Wouldn't it be great if no one cared?

The Office of Visitors and Conventions reported that Cancún, along with Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos and Holbox, welcomed over 5 million tourists, in 2015 , the largest number ever recorded.

A total of 3.1 million tourists visited Israel in the year 2015

The Hajj is the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia undertaken each year by 2-3 million people. The approximate dates for this year’s Hajj are September 9-14, 2016.

So religious tourism is a pretty healthy endeavor.
October 31st, 2016 at 5:41:45 PM permalink
Nareed
A total of 3.1 million tourists visited Israel in the year 2015

It's an interesting place to visit. Lots of Roman era ruins.

And some sort of wall ;)
November 9th, 2016 at 1:19:57 PM permalink
Nareed
It's time to call a truce and move the war on religion to the back burner.

It's still an evil force which must be eradicated. That hasn't changed. But right now the bigger threat comes from the twin evils of nationalism and xenophobia.
November 9th, 2016 at 2:40:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's time to call a truce and move the war on religion to the back burner.

I want to hear FrG's reaction to the pope
proclaiming last week that women would
NEVER be allowed into the clergy. It was
something he didn't need to say, it was
just rubbing salt into a festering wound.
Why polarize half your congregation who
are already irritated about the subject.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 8 of 9« First<56789>