Parents told off for living at the beach with children

Page 2 of 2<12
October 30th, 2016 at 5:35:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Parts Puller in a junkyard is used as one of the sociological examples for "Slackers" and the Slacker Movement.
October 30th, 2016 at 6:03:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Parts Puller in a junkyard is used as one of the sociological examples for "Slackers" and the Slacker Movement.

That is just where you start. Modern junkyards are incredibly complex businesses. Many get offended if you even say "junkyard." I used to love cars and really liked the idea of parting them out for a few bucks. To the side hustler, I heard on a podcast of one kid who at a real young age went to body shops and pulled good parts off wrecked larger parts and sold them on eBay. I guess he did well enough that he did not plan on getting a first job.
The President is a fink.
October 31st, 2016 at 10:42:32 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
What's so terrible about growing up on a beach?

And who is to say that the kids don't have tricycles as implied in the note?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
November 1st, 2016 at 3:04:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
Copy of note

Parents of a 2 and 4 year old have been living at the beach for in San Diego 9 years. Presumably they are not poor, but they "like the beach". Someone told them off in an anonymous letter calling them selfish .

I think growing up on the beach would be fantastic. It sure beats a swingset.

It's a small one-bedroom place with four people living in it. Where do the kids sleep?
November 1st, 2016 at 3:19:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba

It's a small one-bedroom place with four people living in it. Where do the kids sleep?

Probably in the main room, not a big deal.
The President is a fink.
November 1st, 2016 at 4:46:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Where do the kids sleep?
Near their loving, non-busybody parents.
November 1st, 2016 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I had Korean friends in my first job. They slept with three children and a mother in law in a one bedroom. If you went there the entire living room was covered with mattresses.

Much of the world lives like that, even very middle class people live like that in Hong Kong. For governmen housing they allocate 60 square feet per person.

But these particular children are not growing up in poverty, and they are still very young. It's possible that once they get closer to puberty the parents will make the decision to leave the beach and try and give them private bedrooms. But it is the parent's decision.
Page 2 of 2<12