1 vote (14.28%)
1 vote (14.28%)
2 votes (28.57%)

7 members have voted

November 2nd, 2016 at 2:22:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

But I thought it was impolite to bring that up in the site owner's poll :)

Lol, I think that came out wrong.

I didn't mean that thinking of this or posting about it is not worthy of care. Rather, I was trying to convey that worrying about microbes is about the most hopeless waste of time one could conceive of. Hope you didn;t take it wrong, Wiz =)

Quote: Nareed
I meant that by the widespread misuse of antibiotics. Avoiding contact with bacteria is rational. That said, modern society has some strange hygiene fetishes. Consider the question about using your cell phone while sitting on the toilet. Will it get some bugs floating around? very likely. But keep in mind you also take yourself, your clothes, and your purse in there, and all that will get whatever is floating around.

Finally, most bacteria are spread by hand, literally. Surfaces and things people touch or grab are rife with microscopic life and viruses. The best course of action is: don't worry about which stall to use, but make damn sure to wash your hands afterwards.

I know what YOU meant, I'm just going further with it. I use the paint analogy with my kid. Basically, imagine your hands are always covered in wet paint. Now, imagine EVERYONE'S hands are. The world would be covered in it, yes? And theirs would get on you, and you on theirs, and on and on. Paint = bacteria, so unless you've got stock in rubber gloves or carry a 55gal drum of 'shine on your back, you're getting filth on you.

Easier to accept it than fight it. And though my sanitation habits have (likely) resulted in a colony of weapons' grade botulism on my food prep counter right now, I ain't even had a COLD in over 2yrs now. Unless you are newly born or about to be newly dead, ain't no sense in the stress.

Quote: zippyboy
I've read that you're better off eating a carrot that's fallen into the toilet, than had it fallen into the average kitchen sink.

I do not doubt it for one second.

It's the maggots all over again. Really Bad vs Perceived as Really Bad don't often match up. That septic backup is just about the worst thing you could imagine, yet when you slip and fall in it trying to clean it up, your life is affected 0. It's that neatly wrapped burrito in the corner of your fridge, sitting there in all its delectable glory, that's gonna make an actual attempt on your life.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 2nd, 2016 at 7:21:31 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Next time you're doped out of your
mind (20 min from now) why don't
you give that a try when the munchies hit.

Twenty minutes have passed, still not doped out of my mind.

Carrot in the toilet? rinse it off, no prob. Taco Bell taco or open pudding cup? I'm just gonna flush it. How nasty is your toilet that that might scare you, Bob? And what are you doing with a carrot in the bathroom while your toilet is open, may I ask?

I'd have no problem eating a pistachio that had been on the carpet for a week, but I'd toss a piece of shrimp that fell under the refrigerator for 2 seconds. You just have to think for yourself. Even doped out of your mind.
November 2nd, 2016 at 9:22:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
Twenty minutes have passed, still not doped out of my mind.

But then, how would you be able to tell
if you're so used to being in that state.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2016 at 2:31:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
if the water in the toilet is municipality supplied, it's chlorinated - definitely less bacteria

on the other hand, the kitchen sink bacteria is going to be harmless, assuming it gets rinsed out at least.

probably a toss up.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 3rd, 2016 at 9:00:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
if the water in the toilet is municipality supplied, it's chlorinated - definitely less bacteria

on the other hand, the kitchen sink bacteria is going to be harmless, assuming it gets rinsed out at least.

probably a toss up.

Probably depends on how you deal with the petri dish (dish sponge).
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 11th, 2016 at 8:45:59 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
We avoid the first stall because we
assume everybody coming in will
want to use it and bother us. And
we assume it's the dirtiest. Men
have filthy public restroom habits,
women would be disgusted.

One of my first jobs was working
at the big hotel downtown on
weekends. One of my jobs was
cleaning the bathrooms at the
Backroom Saloon. Women's was
almost pristine after a Friday
night. Men's was a horror, like
a war had gone on in there.

Prior to being the grocery department supervisor, I worked as a bagger at a grocery store during college who was tasked with maintaining the restrooms throughout the day, my experience was the exact opposite. The women's restroom was repulsive.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 11th, 2016 at 11:25:12 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Mission146
Prior to being the grocery department supervisor, I worked as a bagger at a grocery store during college who was tasked with maintaining the restrooms throughout the day, my experience was the exact opposite. The women's restroom was repulsive.

I (probably like 99% of the population) have to be in dire trouble before I'll use a public restroom to poop. I've noticed two things: one, that people seem to be far less piggy than they used to be. I remember, 30-40 years ago, any restroom that had been available for longer than an hour would be an absolute disaster. Two, I've been pleasantly surprised with the general cleanliness of restrooms in the place where I now live. People here seem to be more considerate in general. Probably because we're all stinking liberals here :)
November 12th, 2016 at 1:36:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: stinkingliberal
I have to be in dire trouble before I'll use a public restroom to poop.)

You sound just like my wife. I had
no idea you were a woman. I'll
take a dump in any restroom,
what's the difference. Most real
men are like that..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:10:57 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
You sound just like my wife. I had
no idea you were a woman. I'll
take a dump in any restroom,
what's the difference. Most real
men are like that..

Right! Real men don't care about hygiene!

I feel so sorry for your wife.
Page 4 of 4<1234