Congress voting on their own pay raises.

Page 1 of 212>
November 1st, 2016 at 1:52:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Even though it might just be symbolic, and be ruled unconstitutional, starting a movement for a ballot initiative that your state reps in congress cannot vote for their own pay raise might be a good way to bring the idea so much national attention, it would probably force the issue at a national level.

If I stood with a petition outside public venues, and told them what they were signing for as a ballot initiative I could probably get very high compliance on that idea.

'Cause starting the proper national movement is pretty overwhelming.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 1st, 2016 at 1:54:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Even though it might just be symbolic, and be ruled unconstitutional, starting a movement for a ballot initiative that your state reps in congress cannot vote for their own pay raise might be a good way to bring the idea so much national attention, it would probably force the issue at a national level.

Start all the ballot initiatives you like, need an amendment to change how congressional pay works.
The President is a fink.
November 1st, 2016 at 1:56:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

If I stood with a petition outside public venues, and told them what they were signing for as a ballot initiative I could probably get very high compliance on that idea.

'Cause starting the proper national movement is pretty overwhelming.

Congressmen and Senators should get huge pay raises. It is an absolute joke how little they are paid when compared to similar leaders in the private sector. I think the President makes $400k a year, which is lower than a barely making the team NFL special team player. If you add up the PUNTERS in the NFL they make more than all of the Senators combined!
November 1st, 2016 at 2:01:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Start all the ballot initiatives you like, need an amendment to change how congressional pay works.

Uh, yea. I pointed out it would be symbolic.

But it's the same idea as getting national attention for anything. You have to get it in the public mind.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 1st, 2016 at 2:02:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
Congressmen and Senators should get huge pay raises. It is an absolute joke how little they are paid when compared to similar leaders in the private sector. I think the President makes $400k a year, which is lower than a barely making the team NFL special team player. If you add up the PUNTERS in the NFL they make more than all of the Senators combined!

Supposedly all those you mention are bringing in huge profits.

So... your argument for the pay raises?
November 1st, 2016 at 2:20:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Funny I thought the idea of workers voting their own salary would be unpopular.

That's all it really is. And why it has gone on so long without being overturned is sort of a mystery (to me).

You would think people would be outraged as much as they complain about results.
November 1st, 2016 at 2:28:49 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
$400k per year. Mmhmm. Surprised you of all people would forget...

LIFETIME health coverage for them, spouses and minor children. Granted, work must be done at military hospitals, but I know of at least one chap who'd mechanically remove a testicle for such a benefit.

LIFETIME pension, currently within sighting distance of a quarter mil a year.

LIFETIME allowances for things such as office space and staff, capped nearabouts $100,000 a year.

LIFETIME protection from Secret Service.

And when LIFETIME runs out, paid funeral with military honors.

"Pay raise" lol. What "approval rating" do you need to keep your job, doc? If you gas 2 out of every 100, that's a 98% success rate. Would your boss be cool with that? I'm just a grunt and even my rate needs to be within reach of 100%. These mf'ers have an approval rate of, like, 17%!

"Pay raise" lol.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 1st, 2016 at 2:34:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

That is grossly unconstitutional, as Congress has constitutional power over the budget. Their salaries being part of said budget...

But you can do a ballot initiative that would require a plebiscite to approve pay raises at the state level. The constitutionality of that is not clear at a glance.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 1st, 2016 at 2:50:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Uh, yea. I pointed out it would be symbolic.

But it's the same idea as getting national attention for anything. You have to get it in the public mind.

Would just symbolize people who waste their time having no clue how the system works. LIVs would sign in droves I guess.

Funny I thought the idea of workers voting their own salary would be unpopular.

Congress is not "workers" they are most closely related to board members or officers. In a corporation the board makes their own salary and can be voted out by the shareholders. Congress can be voted out same way. But they know just grease the 47% and they are safe.
The President is a fink.
November 1st, 2016 at 2:51:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Getting a constitutional amendment passed is daunting. So is eating an elephant. But you can do it one bite at a time.

Quote:
When was the Constitution last amended?
It was submitted by Congress to the states for ratification on September 25, 1789. The amendment became part of the United States Constitution on May 7, 1992, following a record-setting ratification period of 202 years, 7 months, and 12 days
Page 1 of 212>